- Entertainment and Media»
- Photos & Videos
Fun facts, interesting history and great trivia to stump your friends.
Let's see how many of the following facts you knew. Leave me a comment and let me know if I surprised you with any of the following facts. I had a great time researching this. I hope you enjoy all of these interesting, mind blowing, almost unbelievable tidbits of information!
1. 54 million of the people alive right now on planet earth will be dead within 12 months! Yikes!
2. Ecstasy (yes the street drug) AKA- "MDMA" was actually created by Merck in 1912.
3. In 1874 Heroin was created, in 1898 the Bayer Company marketed as a non-addictive cough syrup and sold it to anyone without a prescription. Can you imagine how many people must have given it to their children? It sounds like companies have been lying to consumers since the beginning of time...remind you of any companies around now??
4. In World War I the German measles were called the "Liberty Measles". Wow you must REALLY hate a country to refuse that a disease be associated with it!
5. Fergie (whose real name is actually Stacey Ann Ferguson) the female singer from the Black Eyed Peas and also wife to the handsome Josh Duhamel was the voice for Sally, Charlie Browns sister in the 1980s!!! From 1984 to 1989 she was also the longest running star on the famous kids show Kids Incorporated.
6. In 2011 officials in Oregon drained 8 million gallons of water from a reservoir because a drunk 21 year old man peed in it. That seems a little extreme!! Couldn't they just add some chlorine to it? I mean come on, we have invented ways to purify sewer water into drinking water for 3rd world countries; they didn't have a better solution than wasting 8 millions gallons of water? Shame on you!
7. The United States Government paid the Zapruder family 16 million dollars for the film of John F. Kennedy's assassination in 1999. I wonder why they waited so long?
8. Urea a chemical found in your Urine, is added to cigarettes to enhance the flavor! I wonder if that's why cigarettes turn your teeth yellow? :)
9. If a cock roach touches a human they will immediately run off to safety so it can clean itself off. Good to know that means they should stay away from me then! I have to tell you this story, I was in Virginia at a friends house and I had a can of pop sitting on the counter, well I took a drink and felt something in my mouth and spit out a cock roach, no kidding. It flipped me out so badly I will pour a can of pop into a glass and if a glass is unavailable I will pass on the pop. Gives me the chills just thinking about it! I bet that roach I spit out went back into it's hole and took 2 or 3 showers lol.
10. The brain does not have any pain receptors in it, so that is why surgeons are able to do brain surgery while the patient is awake!
11. Pearls will melt if put in vinegar!
12. In Mexico there is a rare breed of mouse that actually howls at the moon like a werewolf!
13. This is a pretty interesting, the phrase “rule of thumb” originated from an English law that stated that you couldn’t beat your wife with anything wider than your thumb.
14. More people are killed every single year by donkey attacks than people who die in plane crashes. I think my next plane ride will be a lot less stressful! I wonder how many donkeys are killed by plane crashes though??
15. Only 1 in 2 billion people will live to be 116 years or older. Wow that's depressing.
16. No matter how hard you pinch the skin under your elbow it will not hurt. I have no clue why, but it's true!
17. Did you know that if you keep a gold fish in a dark room it will turn white!
18. If you plan to take a trip to Iceland, be forewarned that leaving someone is a tip is considered and insult!
19. Clans of long ago that wanted to get rid of unwanted people without killing them used to burn their houses down, that's where the term "to get fired" came from!!!
20. Last but not least- When you turn 75 years old you will have slept for 23 yrs. I guess the next time someone tells you you're sleeping your life away you will take them a bit more serious!
Let me know if I missed anything!
I hope that you enjoyed these interesting facts! If you have any more interesting info you would like to share please add them to the comments section!
© 2014 Karen Ranoni