Using Alexa To Control Your Hopper From DISH
Alexa and DISH - Better Together
Control Your DISH Receiver With Alexa
When I first heard that DISH was working on integrating Alexa support, I've been waiting on pins and needles to get a chance to take it for a spin. With everything else Alexa can do, from reading you the news to being able to turn appliances on and off. Now I can finally change the channel, call up a DVR recording, and fast forward and rewind without having to touch the remote.
Alexa Commands And Tips For Use With Your Hopper
The following are a few sample commands to give you an idea of what you can have Alexa do for your Hopper:
- "Alexa, tune to Cartoon Network"
- "Alexa, play Family Guy"
- "Alexa, find movies with Robin Williams"
- "Alexa, fast-forward 30 seconds"
- "Alexa, rewind 30 seconds"
For best performance, your Echo or Echo Dot should not be directly beside or in front of your TV as the audio from the TV can drown your voice out and Alexa won't hear your commands.
You can even link just one Echo device to your Hopper. This way you can have an Echo Dot in the room with your Hopper, while any other Echo devices can not be used for mischief by others within the home.
How To Pair Alexa To Your Hopper
- Press the MENU button on your remote and select 'Settings' to access the Alexa icon.
- Locate and select the Alexa icon.
- Select 'Get Code' to get a unique pairing code that we'll be using momentarily.
- In the Alexa app, enter the menu and tap the 'Music, Video, & Books' option and then 'DISH.' I'm not sure if the "Music, TV and & Books" is just a typo or just hasn't been updated in the Alexa app yet.
- You'll be given a summary of the DISH Skill. From here, simply tap 'Enable Skill.'
- Enter your the pairing code retrieved from your Hopper in step 3.
- If the pairing is successful, you'll be able to continue.
- Now after returning to the Alexa app, device discovery should begin automatically and your Hopper will be detected. Select it and tap 'Continue.'
- If you have more than one Echo device on your Amazon account, here you can select just the one that is closest to your Hopper (preferably one in the same room).
- You're finished! Enjoy watching TV with the sound of your voice!
Step 10 - You're Finished!
Now that you've paired Alexa to your receiver, you can enjoy controlling your programming with the sound of your voice! Try out some of the commands I listed earlier. The best feature in my opinion, is that I can now search by voice, instead of having to manually key in my search terms by hand with the remote, which was a big time waster in the past.
If you have any questions or want to share your favorite feature, feel free to do so in the comments below!