- Entertainment and Media»
Weird Royal Wedding Souvenirs
"Somebody's Getting Married in the Morning!"
Prince William and his beloved Kate Middleton will soon be tying the knot. One cannot turn on network TV (and even some cable channels) and avoid the fact that the royal nuptials are slated to be declared on Friday, April 29, 2011. Even in passing, anyone in the world who is near a TV this week will be unable to avoid the oncoming Royal Event of the Year.
If you were like the majority of the world and failed to snag an invite to the most talked about wedding of the century, then fear not. If you aren’t bold enough to join the packed claustrophobic streets of London waiting for a glimpse of the royal entourage, you can watch the royal wedding on television Friday morning (or on one of its sure-to-be many repeats), no worries. If you aren’t able to walk the streets of London to pick up a souvenir of the monumental event, there is hope yet. This is not your medieval English wedding. Anyone with a credit card can purchase a token of Prince William and Kate’s wedding via the Internet.
Souvenirs can get a bit wacky. I have scoured the Internet in search of the oddest souvenirs one can purchase to commemorate the young Royals and their special April day. Below are a few souvenirs you can buy, bringing a taste of Wills and Kate into your very own home.
Different Royal Wedding Ideas
- General Electric UK Refrigerator: This freezer/fridge combo stands 5’ 9” and displays the loving Prince William and Kate Middleton in larger-than-life detail. It’s almost like they’re laughing at you for that middle-of-the-night cheesecake urge. It could be a good diet tool as they mockingly smile at every single thing you eat.
- Knit Your Own Royal Wedding : Of course! Written by Fiona Goble, this is the ultimate family heirloom for all you Royal Wedding fans. This paperback book provides the instructions for knitting figures of Prince William, Kate Middleton, Queen Elizabeth II, and others from the royal wedding party. Your creation can be a treasured gift to anyone into Royal dolls or homemade Brit items.
- Crown Jewels Condoms of Distinction: The bachelor/bachelorette/stag party gag gift? Different, it’s certainly different. This is the Royal Wedding souvenir best kept in the bedroom and not out on the coffee table. Not for use, though, as the label warns this is not equal to your convenience store variety.
- Wills and Kate Gloves: Woolen camel-colored gloves. Threaded in blue, one glove read “Wills” and the other reads “Kate”, and has a line drawn across the ring finger, indicating a wedding band. This set is probably more for the lady Royals fan rather than the gent. I just don’t see too many guys running around in the snow wearing these gloves. But, they are masculine in color, so maybe they were made with men and women both in mind.
- William and Kate Royal Wedding Tea Towel: A tea towel with drawn caricatures of Prince William and Kate Middleton highlighting the date of their royal wedding. A bit wacky, perhaps this is a towel meant more for the sock drawer than for the formal dining room.