- Entertainment and Media»
What Music Speaks to You? 15 Core Shaking Songs
How music shakes you.
Sometimes it's haunting. Sometimes it puts voice to something we can't.
Music can shake us in so many ways.
It's human beings speaking their truth to others. And we can often hear ourselves in their songs.
However music impacts you, it might just be the sound you need to hear in a given moment. Not simply because of the melody, but because their words might also be your words. Their feelings resonate with something inside you.
Perhaps you feel less alone in the world.
At least, that's how music shakes me.
The power of words.
We've all experienced the power of hearing a song about something we're feeling in real time.
Whether we hear it on the radio or search for it in our phone, hearing a song with lyrics that strike a chord can transport us. It can cocoon us for just a few minutes of our day (or, for those of us who listen to single tracks on repeat over and over again, for hours of our day).
But I don't just rely on my own visceral response to know the power of music.
Music is like food, sex, and drugs.
Studies have shown that our human response to music is one of pleasure.
In fact, it simulates our positive reactions to sex, food, and even drugs.
Music can heal.
Music therapy is a powerful thing.
So that core-shaking feeling we get when we hear our favorite songs? The chills and the goosebumps? The physiological effect on your body is real.
Music can help to heal our minds and bodies.
15 Core Shaking Songs (videos below)
- "Hallelujah," Rufus Wainwright
- "Make it Rain," Ed Sheeran (from Sons of Anarchy)
- "Stay," Rihanna (feat. Mikky Ekko)
- "Jessica," Regina Spektor
- "Even My Dad Does Sometimes," Ed Sheeran
- "Timshel," Mumford & Sons
- "Fast Car," Tracy Chapman
- "Wild Horses," Rolling Stones (stripped acoustic version)
- "Unsteady," X Ambassadors
- "Listen," Beyoncé (from Dreamgirls)
- "River," Joni Mitchell
- "Skinny Love," Bon Iver (Birdy version)
- "Seasons of Love," Rent (Stevie Wonder version)
- "3am," Matchbox 20 (piano acoustic)
- "Pretty Hurts," Beyoncé