What Are Your Pet Peeves?
What Is A Pet Peeve?
A pet peeve is something that someone does that annoys you to a greater degree than it affects others. Everyone has a pet peeve whether they admit it or not. And everyone does something that annoys others whether they are aware of it or not.
So what is it that makes you cringe when people do it? And what do you do about those pet peeves that annoy you? Well, you have choices. You can grin and bear it. Or you can bring it to the person's attention.The fallacy with the latter choice is that sometimes when you bring something to people's attention, they do it even more.
Some Pet Peeves
While a pet peeve is a personal thing, there are some pet peeves that are common with most people. Here are some of my top pet peeves:
- I don't like it when someone takes over a conversation I've started. It bothers me tremendously when someone highjacks my conversation.
- It annoys me when people eat while talking to me on the telephone. I could understand it better if I called someone and caught them eating. However, I cannot tolerate it when someone deliberately calls me when they are eating. I was recently called to complete a telephone survey, and it was evident the caller was eating. I brought it to his attention and he apologized. I kindly told him it was rude, and I preferred not conducting a survey while he was eating. Needless to say, that was one survey he did not complete.
- One upmanship is a pet peeve that I detest like a plague. For instance, if I share with someone what is going on with me and that person tries to top it with something that is going on with him. What he has to say is bigger, better, greater, faster, and one up on me.
- Crosstalking is another pet peeve that bothers me a lot. That happens when several people in a group are talking at the same time and I can't understand what any of them are saying.
- It annoys me when I am talking in a group and no one seems to be paying attention.
- Listening to loud music at the stop light is something I wish I wouldn't have to endure. No matter how beautiful the music is, I don't want to hear someone else's.
- It bothers me when people don't keep their promises to me.
- Probably others like me become annoyed when people lie to us.
- When people make me wait for them is unacceptable as far as I am concerned because I am almost always on time.
Oprah Winfrey's Pet Peeve
Oprah Winfrey said in several interviews that her pet peeve is having people chew gum around her. She dislikes it so much that she has banned people from chewing gum in all of her offices. She calls out people who chew it around her.
She said she lived with her grandmother in Mississippi, and they were poor. After her grandmother chewed gum, she would take it out of her mouth and stick it on cabinets, bedpost, and furniture. She did so with the intent on chewing it again.
Oprah said whenever she walked through the house, she would rub up against the gum, and it made her feel icky. Every time she sees someone chewing gum, it reminds her of those days long ago when her grandmother recycled her chewing gum.
If what people do to annoy us is called a pet peeve, what is it called when a pet annoys another pet? Is it a human peeve?