- Entertainment and Media»
- Cartoons & Animation
Why Are The Simpsons Yellow?
Why Are The Simpsons Yellow?
The Simpsons was first broadcast as a cartoon short over 25 years ago on The Tracy Ullman Show in America. It is now the longest running scripted television show in history!
How incredible is that!
It is broadcast in over 20 countries and has made an imprint on millions around the world through its clever ability to poke fun and be a source of entertainment.
Not surprising then that the family members are all television icons. Scrutinized at all levels.
One of the most commonly asked questions is Why are the Simpsons yellow?
The number of responses given by fans and the like over the years are almost endless, however there is only one true answer.
The Simpson's Trivia
Did You Know...
- Lisa’s first word was “Bart”.
- Maggie’s first word was “Daddy”
- Bart's first words were “Ay caramba!”
- When Bart prank calls Moe’s Tavern, the number he dials actually spells 'Smithers' 764-84377
- Each episode takes between 6 to 8 months to create.
- Lisa turned 8 years old twice.
- The famous word “d’oh” was added to the Oxford English Dictionary in 2001 - spelt “doh”
- ‘Do The Bartman’ was written and produced in 1990 by Michael Jackson and topped the UK singles charts.
- The length of the opening scene on the couch depends on how long each actual episode is. If they need to fill space for a shorter episode, they will make an extended couch gag.
The Official Simpsons Yellow Color
If you ever wanted to recreate the Yellow skin color of The Simpsons, this is it.
HEX = #FFD90F
RGB = 255,217,15
Do The Bartman
Suggested Answers To Why The Simpsons Are Yellow
Here is a list of some the most common reasons as to why the Simpsons are yellow. What's your opinion?
- Yellow stands out.
- The characters have bright colored clothes and hair, so why not have bright skin.
- They are outside in the sun too much.
- They do not bathe enough.
- They eat too much mustard.
- They are relatives with the sun
- Just to be different.
- They wear yellow suits.
- Blue was already taken by the smurfs.
- They fell in the yellow paint tin.
- They wear heavy makeup.
- It's a cartoon, anything can happen.
The Real Reason
The official reason as to why the Simpsons are yellow comes from an interview with Matt Groening, the creator of The Simpsons.
He shares the facts.
They decided to make The Simpsons yellow because it was different and bright and "it looks like there's something wrong with your television set"
He went on to say that when people flick through the television channels looking for something to watch, when they see the yellow, not only will it stand out but it will grab the viewer's attention. Yellow was not their initial choice however it was suggested by one of the animators.
The Simpsons are yellow so that they will look like nothing else on television.