- Entertainment and Media
Why Chick Flicks are Good for Guys
Men Pay Attention!!
Because we have a busy toddler, my husband and I rarely see movies together so when this golden opportunity arises, we always choose a movie we will equally and thoroughly enjoy. However, not this time. I insisted on seeing a movie I had long anticipated; "The Proposal" starring Sandra Bullock (my secret lesbian crush)and Ryan Reynolds (my heterosexual crush). On the way to the movie theatre I am gleaming and my husband is grumbling. Silently I am wondering why men hate chick flicks so much.
Chick Flicks Benefit men because:
- Your woman is able to connect with you on an emotional level without you having to endure deep, meaningful conversations about the relationship. Take your pick- listen to her drone on for 2 hours or sit and watch a movie while eating popcorn for 2 hours. Trust me, she isn't going to let you eat popcorn while she is discussing your relationship.
- They can help you get lucky. Women get caught up in the new love between the characters in the movie and it rekindles those feelings and sparks for you- sparks are flying high for a while- she's in the mood!
- It helps her feel a bond with other women without her best girlfriend (the one you dislike and she tells EVERYTHING to) hanging out for hours.
- It fulfills her romantic void and lets you off the hook in that department. You've been together for 5 years and you're running out of different kinds of flowers and one-liners. Chick flicks give her a dose of much needed romance.
- Women feel better after a good cry so be there as her shoulder to cry on and, well, you may get lucky.
- You can learn a lot about women by watching a chick flick, and you'd never have to read any Cosmopolitan magazines.
- The leading male character in a chick flick is everything you aren't so you don't have to be unless you really want to write gushy love letters, beg for her love, or admit your imcompetence and ignorance to a crowd of 5,000. Just be thankful that guy on the screen is doing it for you.
Therapy and Entertainment For Women
Chick filcks remind women of their first and most important role among a busy and hectic schedule; being a woman. A woman watches a chick flick and suddenly her life's puzzles miraculously unscramble and with confidence she knows exactly what to do, how to do it, and who to do it to. She remembers what she's overcome, what she deserves, and where she's going.
There is a chick flick fix for every problem in a woman's life:
- If you're in a bad relationship or recently dumped, watch "First Wives Club", "The Women" and "Waiting To Exhale", and "The Break-up".
- Sparks and romance fizzled in your relationship, check out "Dirty Dancing", "How Stella Got Her Groove Back", and "The Holiday".
- Maybe you've given up on love, watch "Something's Got To Give", "Love Actually", "Sleepless In Seattle", "Notebook", "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" or "Hope Floats".
- Need a good cry, take your pick- all of them will make you cry, but I highly reccommend "Ghost" or "Nights in Rodanthe".
Women like to experience a full range of emotions and chick flicks are just the remedy; they make you laugh, cry, love and hate. I don't expect men to understand this because even I don't understand it and I've been a woman all my life, but if it makes us happy, just go along for the ride.
...And men, please don't ask us why crying at a chick flick makes us feel better. I've often wondered, but never asked men why war, dangerous speed, and violent killing action makes them feel better.