- Entertainment and Media»
Why Do People Hate Nickelback?
Nickelback is a band that people just love to hate. It's so bad for these guys that, last year, Detroit Lions fans started an online petition to keep Nickelback from performing during halftime at a rare, nationally televised Lions game. Granted, their reasoning was that a Canadian band had no business performing at an American football game during an American holiday. Their 55,000 signatures were not enough to keep Nickelback off of the entertainment schedule and the show did go on.
Though it may seem as if this band is universally hated, someone out there is buying their records. Their most recent album, 2011's Here and Now, sold 225,000 copies in its first week on store shelves. They've made seven albums and six of them are certified platinum in the US and Canada. They've had seven singles that hit the number one spot in the US. They've sold over 21 million albums in the US alone. The band has two American Music Awards, six Billboard Music Awards and twelve Juno Awards.
Even with all of the sales and the accolades, users at tastebuds.fm voted the band their least favorite musical act, followed closely by Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber.
It's blatantly obvious that Nickelback is successful.
So why all the hate?
Haters Are Gonna Hate
I don't know if that question can be answered easily. I've asked that it myself and been given the answer 'Because they suck' more than once. I've even given that answer. That isn't a good enopugn answer, though, so I will try to explain the main reasons why I think Nickelback is so despised.
- Overexposure - Much like Lady Gaga right now, Nickelback have been shoved down our throats morning noon and night for years. Too much of a good thing isn't necessarily so good.
- Generic/formulaic music - It's been said that songwriter and lead singer Chad Kroeger writes songs that follow a specific formula. Granted, it is a method that works for Nickelback as successful as they are, but doesn't allow for much diversity.
- Lack of diverse content - Most Nickelback songs are about sex, drugs, getting drunk or throwing a party. Occasionally, a song like Photograph will throw in a little content diversity, but many people think that these songs are too few and far between.
- Too generic - Though Nickelback does have its own sound, it is mostly due to Chad Kroeger's voice. If the band had a different singer, their music would be unrecognizable.
- They're just freaking boring - Nothing to get excited about here. Same old stuff written for the same old (or young audience). Which leads us to the next bullet...
- Too corporate - Many people feel that Nickelback has no passion for the music, that their true love is dollar signs. Everybody wants to make money, it's the way of the world. But a lot of people are turned off by musicians that they feel are not doing it for the love of the art. Rock and Roll should never be made in a board room.
- Over-produced - Though Nickelback falls into the rock category, many rock and roll fans believe that they really belong in the pop/rock genre. Rock and Roll is supposed to be dirty, gritty and dangerous and none of those adjectives apply to this band.
- Too popular/Too Successful - There always has to be a whipping boy, and haters love to hate on the most successful of the bunch. This is especially true of die-hard rock fans, who often tend to be elitist and do everything they can to buck trends. Nickelback is, after all, the epitome of mainstream, and something that some rock fans just can't abide by.
It should be noted that virtually every other musical genre is experiencing the same kind of derision that rock fans are serving up for Nickelback. Rap/hip-hop, country, metal - all of them are seeing a large number of acts that are making what many consider to be sub-standard music designed to simply generate money.
Regardless of these reasons, though, Nickelback is successful. There will likely be many more albums and singles from this band. And they will all likely top the charts, too.