Why I shamelessly love Spongebob Squarepants
To me, "Spongebob Squarepants" is mostly...
I admit it: I love Spongebob Squarepants, the little poriferon whose laugh is based on the noises made by a dolphin.
Though a lot of people might know who Spongebob is, what channel the show is on, and that he lives in a pineapple in Bikini Bottom, I hear that most do not understand the allure of the show, its characters, plots, and more. There are many reasons why I love the show, which I shall now share:
- Spongebob is so innocent: It's nice to take a break from the worst parts of reality to watch this show about a guy who is so naïve and will do anything for anyone, even and often beyond reason. He thinks the world of people... well, creatures... who dislike him, and he seems to miss insults made in his direction. I'm not saying these are good qualities, but I think it's charming in a cartoon adolescent.
- It makes me laugh: There have been several occasions when I would watch the show and throw my hands up in confusion, but it's great. Things don't make sense and it makes me laugh; the characters will be sitting in front of a fire and then realize they are underwater, at which time the fire will suddenly be extinguished. It's great because some characters will serve as points of sanity against which viewers may compare Spongebob's antics.
- Anything can happen: I am never disappointed by what Spongebob can achieve. The writers understand that the world is full of strange things, and take advantage of the opportunities available to them. As a children's cartoon, there are few limits to the show... it can get pretty weird, and it keeps you on your toes.
- I can watch it anytime: It's on at least four hours a day on Nickelodeon, and there have been times I've watched all four of those hours. If I'm waiting to meet someone, I watch it. I can watch it while I eat or do homework or when friends are over. It doesn't offend anyone... although my former roommate hated it, so if I turned it on, she would leave :) Thankfully it was on a lot...
- It makes me feel good when I catch things I know I wouldn't have understood as a child: You know when you watch cartoons or childhood movies years later as an adult and you finally realize what the joke meant, or your picked up on a hidden agenda you certainly didn't as a kid? That happens to me a lot, so I feel more mature and worldly when I understand something I learned in college as I watch the show. I'll do anything for self-esteem, apparently. But anyway, you can tell that creator Steve Hillenberg is a pretty smart guy (who knew his show would be so popular?), and I appreciate it.
- You can actually learn from it! Children (and maybe adults) can actually catch some of the morals involved in Spongebob (it is a kid's show, after all). It's not really violent at all; the worst I can remember is a pillow fight and stomping on Plankton.
Spongebob Squarepants Pizza Song
Best Episodes - Spongebob Squarepants
- SpongeBob.com | SpongeBob SquarePants Episodes, Games, & Pictures
- SpongeBob SquarePants - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- SpongeBob Fan Club
Spongebob Squarepants Fan Club, Bulletin Board, Links & More!