Why Music Education Matters
The Benefits of Studying Music
Some out there would just as soon see most if not all funding cut off to the arts and don't realize the proven benefits of music study.
- Music students score noticeably higher than the non music students.
- Music study can help kids understand advanced mathematical concepts since music involves ratios, fractions, proportions and thinking in space and time.Music contributes toward self-esteem.
- Music majors are in the top group of college grads to be admitted to medical school.
- In standardized tests, middle and high school students who participate in instrumental music Music improves pattern recognition and mental representation.
- Music students receive more academic honors and awards than non-music students.
- High school music students get higher SAT scores in both verbal and math.
- Music students are better equipped to comprehend mathematical and scientific concepts.
- Music education can be a positive force on all aspects of a child's life.
- Younger children with developed rhythm skills perform better academically in early school years.
- College-age musicians tend to be emotionally healthier.
- Music making improves test scores regardless of socioeconomic background.
- Music training helps under-achievers.
Music Is Fun
A lot has been written about the educational and brain enhancing value of learning to play music but the bottom line is that it is (or should be) fun. Music can be one of the most enjoyable endeavours a person ever does in their life regardless if as a hobby or profession. It's an art form that keeps on giving.
How Fun Does This Look?
Reasons People Play Music
- Do Something New
- The Challenge
- The Reward
- Do Something That Many Can't
- Meet New Friends
- Start a Band
- Get Chicks
- Get Guys
- Social Activity
Adult Student Profile
This is a link to the Adult Garage Band 101 class taught by Mark Fitchett.
Adult Garage Band
Mark Fitchett is a professional guitar player and instructor with years of experience and training. He excels at a wide array of styles from blues, jazz, country, pop, rock, contemporary, classical, alternative, progressive and most other styles and teaches adult music students who have learnes later in life how to rock out in a band.
- The Basics of Playing Together in a Band
About how play in a band and not kill each other. Practice and rehearsal tips.
- Pro Band - Jamming Tracks App Review
Pro Band. iPhone iPad iTouch Android rhythm tracks blues rock backing tracks review
- The Simplified Basics of Starting to Learn to Play t...
This is the absolute bottom line of how to start playing guitar. The information given here is in small chunks, easy to digest and will give the student a solid foundation to pursue guitar mastery.
- The CAGED Guitar Chord System is Simple
There seems to be a lot of mystery and confusion surrounding the much lauded CAGED guitar chord system but once its beautiful simpicity is understood so shall the neck be mastered.
- How to Memorize the Notes on the Guitar Neck
This article will show you the best method ever of how to efficiently learn and memorize the notes on a guitar neck in the shortest amount of time.
- Master 5 Positions of E Minor Pentatonic Scale
The minor pentatonic scale on the guitar, and particularily the E minor pentatonic scale is a blues and rock guitar staple. There have been so many guitar driven songs in this key that one could easily make a case for E being the starting place.
- Blues Turnarounds For Guitarists
Details on how to play blues turanarounds on the guitar featuring 9 classic blues turnaround examples in tablature
- Blues Rhythm Guitar Chord Fills Lesson
One of the most recognizable cool blues rhythm riffage sounds are the alternating minor triads superimposed over a dominant 7th chord.. This article demonstrates how to use these must know patterns.
- Learning To Play Jazz Guitar From The Beginning
How to approach learning beginning jazz guitar shows the basics of jazz guitar in a simpified manner.
- The Techniques for Learning Improvisation
An overview of concepts applied to improvisation and composition. This article gives someone a better idea of some of the elments involved in learning how to approach this.