Moms From Hell-My Picks of the 10 Most Infernal Moms of All Time
Devil Moms Who Make Mommie Dearest Seem Angelic
There are mothers who were made in Heaven. These are mothers that everyone adore and sing homilies to. These mothers are portrayed in fiction, television, movies in addition to some wonderful real life mothers who should be beatitied. However, there are infernal mothers, mothers who come from the lower rungs of purgatory and some from the lowest rungs of hell.
These are the types of mothers who are either pitful lost souls or just plain harridans who exist to make their children's lives a living hell. Here is my pick of ten worst mothers of all time categorized by celebrity, fictional, and real-life noncelebrity. Countdown!
10. Betty Francis(Draper) in the Showtime series MADMEN- Betty is indeed a lost soul. She is a beautiful, college-educated woman who had a career as a model which she thoroughly enjoyed. When she married Don Draper, who was an up and coming adman, she believed that a good housewife has no career so she reluctantly gives up modelling. What is a vibrant, intelligent woman to do? Betty subsequently becomes frustrated with her life as a housewife. She temporarily resumes her modelling career; however, she reluctantly reliniquished the career again.
She becomes increasingly frustrated and starts to take out her frustations on her three children, particularly Sally Draper. There is a contentious relationship between Betty and Sally. Betty constantly berates and criticizes poor Sally for insignificant reasons whether it is her physical appearance or her mannerisms. Betty is clearly not a happy person although she divorced Don Draper and is married to Henry Francis, a politician. In fact, she becomes an even more vitrioilic mother, especially with Sally whom she believes is a major, major problem.
9.Ginger McKenna in the movie CASINO. A second lost soul. Ginger was once a working girl in Las Vegas- that is until she meets Sam Rothstein, a casino boss who is definitely a genius with numbers and betting. She reluctantly agrees to marry him because it means a more carefree and better life for her. However, she is in love with her ex-boyfriend, Lester Diamond, who used to be her pimp. It is obvious that she is not happy in her marriage.
Ginger also has issues with controlled substances. When she tries to help Lester, her husband and his friend, Nicholas Santoro stops it, having assistants physically manhandling him in the process. As a result of this incident, her substance abuse starts to worsen and she beginst to hate Sam. Ginger then started to contact Lester and took her daughter with her. Of course, Sam becomes incensed and got her back with a stern warning.
Ginger did not love Sam anymore and started to have an affair with Nicholas. She even tied her daughter to the bed and left her alone to met Nicholas. Of course, Sam became enraged when he saw this. He dragged Ginger from the restaurant, threatening to kill her if she ever do this again. Ginger started to spiral out of control, only caring about getting Sam's money and her drug addiction. Sam eventually kicked her out of his home and out of his life, gaining custody of his daughter.
8. Eleanor Iselin in movie THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE. This mom would win the prize for the Mom of the Year..........in the most inverse and infernal sense. She really loves her son. Well, if this is love, you really cannot imagine what hate is like.
Eleanor actually is programming her son to be an assassin. Yes, you heard it correctly. He is to an assassin and front person in order for her to eventually dominate the world. This is mother love at its most banal and cththonically fiendish. Mom wants it ALL and she will use anyone, even her son, to obtain the unadulterated power she craves and feels she deserves.
7. Mrs. Lift in the movie THROW MOMMA FROM THE TRAIN- she is want one would call a soul-devouring mother. She is mean and domineering. She constantly verbally abuses her son, telling him that he is insignifcant and will never amount to anything. She also informs him to stop dreaming about any possible lifestyle and/or career plans. She believes that she has her son in the palms of her hands or so she thinks.
6. Thelma Harper in the television show MAMA'S FAMILY-this woman is another devouring mother. She is negativity to the multillionth degree. She is totally unhappy so she decides to bring her inverted cheer to the rest of the family.
Thelma loves nothing better than to constantly put down and denigrate her family. Eunice, her poor put upon or rather put down daughter, receives the brunt of Thelma's vitriolic negativity. She never seem to give Eunice a break at all. She actually thinks that the latter is an incompetent nitwit.
Thelma never gives credit to anyone even when credit is due. That would be too difficult for her to do. She does have issues- deep, deep issues. She would rather remain in her negative state, continuously carping about the real and imagined harrowings of life. In other words, life is not beautiful for Thelma Harper, not in the least.
5. Atia of the Juli in the HBO series ROME- If Atia was male, she would have had an extremely powerful and exciting career in ancient Rome. However, in ancient Rome, women did not have powerful positions but were the power behind the throne. She is rich and powerful and intends to remain that way. There are no means to which she will not stoop to achieve her goals.
Atia had her daughter, Octavia, divorce her loving husband to marry her off to Pompeii because Atia saw it as more advantageous to her famiy. She adeptly uses verbal and emotional abuse to dominate her daughter. She even calls Octavia a silly, stupid cow. She does not treat her son, Augustus, any better. She consistently badgers him to be a man, not a boy.
The main goal of Atia is secondhand political power. Subsequently, she marries her daughter off to Marc Antony. It is obvious that this is a power marriage for all concerned
4. Mary Jones in the controversial movie PRECIOUS. Mary is physically challenged and has some psychological issues. However, this is no excuse for her horrific treatment of her daughter, Precious. She abuses Precious emotionally, verbally, and physically. She should have never been a mother- she is totally unfit to be one.
3. My maternal aunt in law. She would be classified as a laissez faire, lazy, thoughtless, and indifferent mother. She has eight children; however, she never took care of them but forced her oldest daughter to raise them. All she does is lay around the house, watching television all day. She never bothered to teach her children, believing that children should raise themselves.
She did not even bother to work although at the time, she had teenaged daughters of college age. She never worked even though she was physically capable of doing of placing all the economic burden on her husband, an intinerant carpenter who was ekeing out a living. None of her children attended college and all of the children are as poor as their parents were. She even charges her children for babysitting their children. How horrific is that charging to care for your blood grandchildren! This so-called religious woman claims that having children is a blessing.
2. Magda Goebbels, wife of Josef Goebbels. This hellish mother elected to kill all of her six children as Germany lost the war. Those children were innocent and harmed no one. This demonic woman did not wish for her children to survive in a wold without Hitler. She maintained that they would be better off dead.
1. Michelle Duggar. According to reports, she and her husband are planning for their 20th child. The 19th child was born with problems and had to be hospitalized. However, she insist on having more children. She and her husband cannot take care of the children who are already here. What does she do? She enforces involuntary servitude on her oldest daughters The oldest daughters are the unpaid chattel slaves and servants in the family. The oldest daughters have no idividual lives of their own but spend it raising HER children. How evil and self-centered can one woman be! She is no mother in the strictest definition of the word!
Now you have it- my picks of the 10 most infernal moms of all time categorized by celebrity, fictional, and noncelebrity.
© 2011 Grace Marguerite Williams