A Shine of Rainbows: Movie Review
A Simply Delightful Movie
Maire, a kindhearted soul in love with life and living, selects and brings home a shy, withdrawn Tomas to her husband Alec for adoption. Tomas is intimidated by Alec's bold and disapproving manner. Alec is disappointed in the timid and diffident Tomas. Maire, caught in the middle, must find a way to ensure the two bond with each other.
Where Tomas only knew ridicule and harassment at the orphanage, he finds acceptance when he attends the Corrie Island school for the first time. New-found friends Katie and Seamus introduce him to the places of interest on the island, one of which is the bat cave they keep secret from others. Tomas becomes frightened upon entering the cave and runs off, only to be followed by his pals and made to feel at ease again after the experience.
Maire's warm and caring nature encourages her new son to take heart and see the joyful things in life. Just when he thinks his life has turned around for the better, things become dire. He must again face the possibility of return to the orphanage. With help from his friends and his love for Maire, Tomas endeavors to make things turn around for the better. He learns to trust in love, believe in himself and hope for a bright future.
This movie is based on the book of the same name by Lillian Beckwith.
Have you seen the movie or read the book? Comment with what you think of either, if you did.
And the Actors
- Maire played by Connie Nielsen - chooses Tomas from the orphanage and takes him home to her husband Alec to be their newly adopted son.
- Alec played by Aidan Quinn - Maire's husband.
- Tomas played by John Bell - the main character.
- Seamus played by Jack Gleeson - Nancy's brother who is also not so welcoming of Tomas.
- Nancy played by Tara Alice Scully - befriends Tomas when he first arrives to Alec and Maire's home.
- Katie played by Niamh Shaw - Seamus and Katie's mother.
Own the Movie - A Heart-Warming and Feel-Good Movie
A great view and wonderful addition to any collection of Irish movies.
I'm glad I had a chance to share a movie with you. It's another feel-good movie which I enjoyed tremendously. I also welcomed becoming familiar with several new and very good actors.