I used to enjoy virtual communities and talking to random strangers, but as Ive grown older I have become more attracted to doing things with people in person. Talking face to face and interacting with real people cannot be beat.
These days, 99% of my "friends" on facebook are hidden and my news feed consists of interest groups. The remaining 1% of people that remain on my feed are family and close friends that I actually interact with offline. I dont spend much time on facebook anymore because any more I just dont give a rats ass about what people that I dont really know are up to. If I spend more than 5 minutes on facebook I am most likely chatting with somebody or reading an article.
As for Second Life, I've never even heard of it. Any other communities that I am a part of are internet forums that I use only as a hub to buy, sell, and educate myself on specific items/tasks for various hobbies (cars, guns, etc).
In my eyes, a virtual world comes across as a time waster. There is plenty to do in the real world if you take the time to really assess what your options are. Sometimes things to do are overlooked because they seem too simple and elementary. In the end, I'm happy to be doing practically anything with real people face to face whether it be something as simple as gazing at the stars without exchange of words or just talking about the most random topics for hours on end. I think at this point I may be rambling so I'll stop there.
Edit: I guess my point is this: I'd rather have this exact conversation in person just for that one on one interaction. I can sit behind this computer and type out anything I want; but, in the real world I dont have the option to hit backspace. This forces us to be more genuine and forward about our responses because you CANT take back something said, so you better get it right the first time. I can, however, edit this post in its entirety and you would never know the difference if you didnt see it from the beginning. If everything I said makes no sense its because I'm half asleep and I'm too lazy to proofread.