Billie Kelpin profile image 88

What are alternatives to playing guitar if you can't hold your fingers down properly?

I have always wanted to play acoustic guitar and tried in my 30s. My fingers simply can't hold down the strings. Even as a sign language interpreter, I have trouble make the "w"; my thumb cannot hold down the little finger without the other fingers bending. I do think it's some kind of neurological anomoly rather than something tha would improve with exercise. So, if something is basically wrong with my fingers, where does that leave me with playing guitar? If I try to hold down 3 strings at a time, I can't. I just would like to play a few songs around a camp fire. Ideas?

mgeorge1050 profile image79

Alan (mgeorge1050) says

• The Public Image profile image

Nik Farr (The Public Image) 3 years ago

This is exactly correct. Often, unless one is facing some kind of condition that inhibits manual dexterity in other contexts too, the best solution is to tough it out. You'll be amazed how your body can adapt!

tehgyb profile image79

Don Colfax (tehgyb) says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 3 years ago

T, thanks for this. The example of your friend is inspiring. I'm going to "get me a guitar" and start trying!

The Public Image profile image79

Nik Farr (The Public Image) says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 3 years ago

WOW! This is EXCELLENT! Thank you so much. I think you should make a hub of this if you haven't already! I think I understand what you mean about tuning. Is there a book of songs in maybe one key (tee hee)

.