No Words Needed For These Scene Stealers
W.C. Fields once said “Never work with children or animals.” I think he was a wise man. Whenever there is an animal in a shot with a human, it is hard to focus on the human nine times out of ten. In the television world through the years we have been introduced to some great scene stealers who never uttered a word, but remain in our hearts by their mere presence. Here are some of the best:
1. Stella – Stella is new on the scene and is the adorable French bulldog on the show Modern Family. She has won the heart of Jay and Manny, but is still working on Jay’s wife Gloria. The scenes between Stella and Gloria are hilarious. One look at Stella’s expression and you can’t help, but smile. Her best performance was the episode where the family thought Stella was suicidal because she kept ending up in the Pritchard’s swimming pool. When she is in the scene I can’t take my eyes off her. I look forward to seeing her on the show for many years to come.
2. Max – Going back a few years Max is the Bulldog in the series Jake and The Fatman which ran from 1987 to 1992. Max was the pet of District Attorney J. L. "Fatman" McCabe. If ever there was a dog that matched the look of his owner it was Max. He had the jowls and build of William Conrad. Max brought a comic relief to the show which was a crime drama. Max made me want to buy a bulldog because of his sweet personality. If this show hits syndication in your area give this show a look. Max will win your heart.
3. Eddie – This Jack Russell Terrier appeared on the show Frasier. Eddie got along well with all the characters in the cast except for Frasier Crane and Frasier’s ex-wife Lilith. Eddie and Frasier Crane were like brothers who vied for the attention of father Martin. Eddie would get into a staring contest with Frasier and Eddie would always win. Eddie was always full of personality and during the run of Frasier he got more fan mail than any of his human co-stars. Eddie you will always be unforgettable.
4. Giggy – Reality television brought us not only the show The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills it brought to notice a dapper dog named Giggy. He is a Pomeranian and is spoiled rotten by his owner’s Lisa and Ken. Giggy may be little, but he gets around. He goes to all the finest restaurants and homes of celebrities and he doesn’t even have to walk. It is high praise indeed when in a scene of beautiful celebrity housewives Giggy gets the most noticed. He is so calm and well-dressed you can’t keep your eyes off him. He has style and panache. Long may he reign.
5. Purrfect – Cats on a series seems to be rare, but the hottest cat on a series today would have to be Purrfect from the show The Voice. Purrfect is a Persian cat owned by Cee Lo Green one of the judges on the show. Cee Lo and Purrfect both convey a sense of cool. The coolest though is Purrfect with his large eyes, his white fur, and his cool demeanor, he steals the spotlight from Cee Lo every time. You are the cat’s meow.
6. Vincent – Last but not least on some of animal’s best television scene stealers is Vincent from the series Lost which ran from 2004 to 2010. Vincent was a yellow Labrador retriever who was owned by Walt a boy from the show. Vincent makes his first appearance to main character Jack who is lying in the jungle after the plane crash. In the horrible chaos of the crash it was somehow a comfort to see a dog appear out of the jungle. Vincent reappears at the shows end. As in the beginning he appears to comfort Jack. This time it will be for the last time. Jack is getting ready to die. Vincent will remind you just how important an animal can be in our lives. They will be there for you when they are needed the most.
W.C. Fields knew what he was talking about. In a scene with an animal you will never be seen.