Coupling - The Hit BBC Comedy
Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps...
Coupling is a hilarious British comedy that ran from 2000 to 2004 on Britain's BBC2 and won "Best TV Comedy" at the 2003 British Comedy Awards.
The show focuses on the lives and relationships of the six main characters. They're all connected to one another either as best friends, co-workers, currently dating or ex-dating.
Some reviewers have described it as a cross between "Friends" and "Seinfeld". It does have some similar elements to them but I think Coupling is better than either of those shows.
NBC unsuccessfully attempted an American version of Coupling in 2003.
Meet The Characters
- Steve - Best friend of Jeff, boyfriend to Susan and ex-boyfriend of Jane. Steve's a fairly normal guy but a bit insecure and prone to rants on the differences between men and women. Played by Jack Davenport, best known for his role as Commodore Norrington in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies and currently in ABC's drama, Flash Forward.
- Susan - Best friend of Sally, girlfriend to Steve, ex-girlfriend of Patrick and a co-worker to Jeff. Susan is said to have "slept with Australia" while on holiday there. Played by Sarah Alexander.
- Jeff - Best friend of Steve and a co-worker of Susan. Horrible at talking to women and obsessed with sex, you never know what will blurt out of Jeff's mouth. Played by Richard Coyle who unfortunately left the series after season 3 to pursue other acting interests.
- Jane - Ex-girlfriend to Steve. Jane is a self absorbed and possibly insane helicopter traffic reporter for a local radio station. Played by Gina Bellman.
- Sally - Best friend of Susan and a beautician who is obsessed with the effects of aging and her own ever expanding bottom. Played by Kate Isitt.
- Patrick - Ex-boyfriend of Susan. Most of Patrick's relationships last one night...good thing he videotapes them. Played by Ben Miles.
- Oliver - A comic book store owner who joined the gang in season 4 to fill the void left by Jeff's departure and a possible love interest for Jane. Played by Richard Mylan.
Clips from the show...
Sally asks Patrick to run interference when a date goes bad.
- The BBC Coupling Homepage
The official Coupling homepage complete with info on seasons 1-4: pictures, interviews, quotes, etc.
- Comedy - Coupling
The UK's "Radio and Telly" site contains a summary of each season, a discussion forum and plenty of other information.
- Coupling on Wikipedia
Contains a very good overview of the show, character descriptions and short notes from the writer/creator about the characters after the show.
Coupling Is Addictive
Our copies of the 1st and 2nd seasons are usually on loan to friends who can't stop watching after we've introduced them to it.
A Classic Coupling Scene with Jeff
Jeff tries to chat up a girl in the pub. Fortunately (or not), she doesn't speak English.
Jeff-isms - The words of Jeff Murdock
- "Your best friend is dead, but there's a bright side"
- "When we finally get our hands on the gear, let me tell you, it's not a drill. We're supposed to fly those babies the first time we get in them"
- "To know about the giggle loop, is to become part of the giggle loop"
- "Do you know what would be the best way to wipe out all of human kind if you were a space alien with a special kind of mind ray..?..make all women telepathic. Because if they suddenly found out about the kind of stuff that goes on in our heads they would kill us all on the spot. Men are not people - we are disgustoids in human form"
- "She's leaving the country...she doesn't speak English...I insulted her friend's breasts...and she thinks I collect women's ears in a bucket"
- "No you're not dead, you look, you look great. You're not decomposing or anything...I'm not just saying that"
- "I get very tense around apples... Well, I get very tense generally. I think I've fallen into the trap of blaming fruit."
- "Maybe women are completely different when we're not with them. Maybe they're not cross all the time."
British to English Translations
Think because you're not from the UK that you won't get the humor in this show? Not a problem. There have only been a few times that my wife or I didn't understand a reference on Coupling and those were mostly celebrity names. Below are a few names and terms that are used frequently in the show.
Angus Deayton - British comic actor and television show host. Also the object of Susan's fantasies.
Mariella Frostrup - A popular British television presenter, once voted as having the sexiest voice of female tv personalities. Also the object of Steve's fantasies.
cupboard - closet
flat - apartment
loo - toilet, bathroom
snog - kiss, making out
torch - flashlight
1471 - telephone caller ID number (*69 in the US)
Coupling on North American TV
- BBC America
Check out the BBC America page for show times and information about Coupling.
- Your Local PBS Station
Some PBS stations are playing episodes of Coupling. Enter your zip code on this site to find out if your local PBS affiliate does.
- BBC Canada
There's no "search" feature on this site, so you'll have to look at the listing schedule. Last time I looked, Coupling airs at 9pm on Thursdays.
Vote For Your Favorite Coupling Character
Who is your favorite Coupling character?
The Coupling Ladies
Sally, Jane and Susan give Julia advice on flirting...and have some fun with the waiter at the same time.