- Entertainment and Media
David Suchet (Hercule Poirot) -- British TV and Movie Actor
An English Actor Famous for Playing Hercule Poirot
Actor David Suchet is a well-known face of TV and movies, perhaps best loved for his portrayal of the Belgian detective, Hercule Poirot, invented by author Agatha Christie. Suchet also acted as associate producer of the Poirot TV series.
Poirot is by no means his only role though, and Suchet has co-starred in a number of movies and TV dramas, from playing Van Helsing in Bram Stoker's Dracula (TV production) to voice acting in Flushed Away. He also has a successful career as a stage actor who has appeared on Broadway and is currently starring in a play in London's West End.
Discover more about the man and actor here.
Image of David Suchet in introduction shared by Phil Chambers via Wikimedia Commons.
True fan or just passing by?
Do you know who David Suchet is?
10 Things You Might Not Know about Suchet
Time to learn more about the man behind Poirot
- Suchet was born in London to British parents in 1946.
- He does not have French ancestry. His maternal great-grandparents were married in Paris but came from Russia. His paternal grandparents came from Lithuania.
- He is the younger brother of long-time British chief newsreader John Suchet.
- David Suchet was one of the cast of a TV dramatisation of Agatha Christie's Thirteen at Dinner in 1985. He played Poirot's rival, Chief Inspector Japp.
- Suchet starred as media mogul Robert Maxwell in the TV drama Maxwell -- a performance for which he won an International Emmy Award.
- Another highly-acclaimed role of Suchet's was his portrayal of Augustus Melmotte in the TV mini-series adaptation of Trollope's The Way We Live Now.
- He has been an actor for over 40 years.
- As a member of the Royal Shakespeare Company, he has performed in a number of Shakespeare plays. He also appeared on Broadway in Amadeus.
- David Suchet received an OBE (Order of the British Empire) in 2002 and is properly known as David Suchet OBE.
- Suchet is currently (August 2010) appearing on stage in the London West End production of All My Sons with Zoe Wanamaker.
Videos of Mr Suchet - See the man and his famous characters
David Suchet has been the subject of a BBC family history research show called Who Do You Think You Are?. He discovered his ancestors were Jewish immigrants escaping persecution in Lithuania, and also found a mariner in the family.
David Suchet is Hercule Poirot!
His best-loved role
Hercule Poirot is not the only character David Suchet has played but the two will be forever linked. Monsieur Hercule Poirot is a French-speaking detective from Belgium who has established himself as a leading detective in Britain. His office is in London, where he is assisted by his ultra-efficient secretary Miss Lemon, and is joined in his mystery-solving adventures by long-time friend and trainee detective Captain Hastings.
Poirot is famous for referring to the little grey cells of the brain, which must be allowed time to do their work before he comes up with brilliant solutions, often after the police force of Scotland Yard (frequently headed by rival-turned-friend Inspector Japp) have given up or arrived at completely the wrong conclusions.
This much loved detective from Belgium is also famous for his attention to personal grooming with his trademark waxed and clipped moustache, his walking cane, white gloves and polished shoes. He is always impeccably turned out and often despairs at the rough manners of those he must meet during his detective duties.
Agatha Christie's Poirot -- The Classic Collection
I own several of the smaller Poirot DVD collections, but would love to own the entire set. Ever since I first saw a Poirot episode on TV I was captivated by the acting and by the historical detail that conjures up another era so beautifully. David Suchet is perfect as Poirot and the supporting characters of Hastings, Japp and Miss Lemon are a delight to watch and often bring comedy into this unravelling of crimes.
What a fantastic gift for a fan of Hercule Poirot or indeed anyone who loves Agatha Christie or simply a good murder mystery.
More Poirot DVD Collections - David Suchet as Hercule Poirot
Choose one or collect the entire series of TV and movie length episodes.
For More Information on David Suchet... - Resources for finding out more about this actor
- David Suchet on Internet Movie Database (imdb.com)
Actor: A Perfect Murder. Best known in the United States and abroad as Agatha Christie's suave... Visit IMDb for Photos, Filmography, Discussions, Bio, News, Awards, Agent, Fan Sites.
- Wikipedia Entry for David Suchet
David Suchet OBE (born 2 May 1946) is an English actor, known for his work on British television.
- BBC - Who Do You Think You Are? - Past Stories - David Suchet
David Suchet discovers astonishing details about his ancestors' lives.
- Masterpiece | David Suchet on the Orient Express | PBS
Celebrated actor David Suchet sets aside his alter ego Hercule Poirot to step aboard one of the world's most iconic trains in the documentary David Suchet on the Orient Express: A Masterpiece Special.
- David Suchet interview: The clue to Poirot's long life - Telegraph
As he opens in Arthur Miller's "All My Sons" on the West End stage, David Suchet explains why his TV sleuth is such a global hit.
Discover David in Other Great Roles - A man of many talents...
Watch Suchet take on some very different roles. There is more to this versatile actor than Agatha Christie's much loved Belgian detective!
This acclaimed BBC TV mini-series stars David Suchet as Augustus Melmotte, an Austrian Jew who causes a stir in London with his get-rich quick scheme. Suchet received a Best Actor BAFTA nomination for his role. 2 disc set with 4 episodes.
In Seesaw, a gripping dramatization of a novel, David Suchet and Geraldine James play the parents of a kidnapped teenager.
Diverted is an account of the flight diversions of September 11th to a small town in Canada, from the point of view of the fictionalized passengers of one such flight.
David Suchet is Louis B. Mayer in this docudrama which takes a look at the making of the classic movie Citizen Kane.
See Suchet as a classic Hollywood villain in the 1996 thriller Executive Decision. Kurt Russell and Halle Berry star.
Suchet stars in All My Sons
David Suchet is Joe Keller
All My Sons, an Arthur Miller play currently appearing at the Apollo Theatre in London, features David Suchet and Zoe Wanamaker as a married couple coming to terms with the loss of life of the Second World War -- both of their own son and the possibly preventable deaths of several other young men.
See WhatsOnStage.com for a review of All My Sons and Suchet's performance. Includes several reviews from the theatre-going public.