- Entertainment and Media»
- Movies & Movie Reviews
The Expendables 2 Fun and Action Packed
The Expendables 2 released in 2012 surprises the viewer by being even better than its predecessor The Expendables which was released in 2010. Sylvester Stallone took the idea of the first movie and made it even better giving the viewer even more action, more stars, and more humor. Let us see what makes this movie tick.
What a group we have here. All the action hero guys have gathered together in this film.
- Arnold Schwarzenegger star of The Terminator movies, Predator, True Lies, and more needing the assistance of Sylvester Stallone. Arnold was Mr. Universe at age 20 and has won the Mr. Olympia competition 7 times.
- Sylvester Stallone star of Rocky, Rambo, Cliffhanger, etc. Sly insisted on doing his own stunts ignoring his doctor's. He had suffered a broken back and neck injury doing The Expendables.
We get not only these two great stars, but even more action movie guys joining in on the adventure.
- Jason Statham who is known for his roles in The Transporter, The Mechanic, and Parker. He likes to do his own stunts and has an athletic background.He was a member of Britain's National Diving Squad for twelve years.
- Dolph Lundgren, who appeared in Rocky IV, One in the Chamber, Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning. He has a black belt in Karate and was once a body guard.
- Chuck Norris who starred in Missing in Action, The Delta Force, and in television as Walker, Texas Ranger. He has black belts in Tang Soo Do and Chun Kuk Do.
Not only do we have those fabulous guys, but we also have:
- Jean –Claude Van Damme who starred in such movies as Blood Sport, Kickboxer, and Lionheart. He was involved with full contact karate in Belgium where he had 18 knockouts and 1 defeat.
- Bruce Willis star of such great movies as Die Hard, Reds, and Armageddon.He was a security guard and private investigator before taking up acting.
- Liam Hemsworth action star of the future who has appeared in The Hunger Games and Paranoia. Before becoming an actor he laid floors.
Sylvester Stallone commented that in his casting he was looking particularly for actors who had not experienced recent hits: "I like using people that had a moment and then maybe have fallen on some hard times and give them another shot. I like those kinds of guys. Someone did it for me and I like to see if I can do it for them."
Who is your favorite star from the Expendables 2?
The Mix Of Action And Humor
I didn’t expect to be entertained as much as I did with this movie. The Expendables 2 brings together a lot of the action movie stars of the 80’s all into one film that in itself is a treat to see. Not only that but we have a lot of humor in this movie that makes the characters more loveable.
After Sylvester Stallone’s character shoots a guy up with his gun he tells him “Rest in pleces”
Another good line is delivered by Chuck Norris. Sylvester’s character Barney asks Chuck’s character:
“I thought you got bitten by a King Cobra?” to which Chuck’s character replies, “After five days of agonizing pain the cobra died.”
Another funny moment occurs when Liam’s character is running up a mountain to get to his vantage point. Strahan’s character asks Stallone “Remember when you could do that? To which Barney (Stallone) states, “No.”
If you like action and shoot em ups and karate moves this is the movie for you. It begins with gun fire, boat chases, jet skis, and an escape action. The movie doesn’t let up when Bruce Willis’ character asks Stallone to help him get something from a plane that crashed in Russia. The guy’s soon discover that this job is just as dangerous as their previous adventures, and they use all their skills to try and make it out alive.
- The Music
The soundtrack for this movie is definitely a pleasant surprise. You would expect some heavy duty music to go with this movie, but instead the viewer is gets great vibes with songs like:
- “The Wanderer”- by Dion
- “Crystal Blue Persuasion”- by Tommy James and the Shondells
- “It’s a Beautiful Morning” and “Groovin” by Felix Cavaliere
- “Rip it Up” by Little Richard
- “The Good the Bad and the Ugly” by Ennio Morricone
It is great that these songs will be introduced to young fans who may never have heard of these tunes before.
Sylvester Stallone Movies Frequently Mentioned on the Web
IMDB RATING 1-10
Rambo First Blood Pt. 2
The Buddy Element
This movie has heart and it has special moments between Stallone and Strahan who bicker and joke like an old married couple. They have endured great danger and have placed their trust in each other. They also know how to keep things light in dangerous situations with a few one liners to ease the tension.
Liam Hemsworth plays Billy The Kid as a sharp shooter. He earns the respect of Barney (Stallone) and he sees himself, possibly in Billy, and takes him under his wing. Liam’s character has nothing but respect for the group he is with and hopes his time with them can teach him even more.
Dolph Lundgren’s character Gunner is a guy that you aren’t sure if he really dumb or very smart. He takes a liking to the girl that has joined the group, but isn’t sure how to talk to her. In another part of the movie he tries to show his knowledge when the men are trapped underground. We will never know if he could have gotten the men out, because Schwarzenegger comes to the rescue instead.
FunTrivia Regarding The Movie
These fun facts came from IMDB
It was Jean-Claude Van Damme’s 4th time working with Dolph Lundgren and Scott Adkins
Sylvester Stallone asked Chuck Norris to include a reference to The Chuck Norris facts (a popular internet meme) in the screenplay. Norris's wife Gena O'Kelly suggested him the one with the cobra. ("Chuck Norris was bitten by a cobra, and after five days of excruciating pain... the cobra died.")
Sylvester Stallone's character is named Barney Ross in memory of decorated WWII hero and World Lightweight, Light Welterweight, and Welterweight Boxing Champion, Barney Ross (i.e. three-divisional champion).
Chuck Norris is the pop culture subject of countless larger than life "Chuck Norris facts" created by fans. The film's cast and crew jumped on the bandwagon when Norris arrived in Bulgaria, coining a new one: "Chuck Norris doesn't visit Bulgaria, Bulgaria visits Chuck Norris."
In the final scene, Arnold Schwarzenegger is wearing a vintage Hawaiian style Planet Hollywood Jam shirt under his jacket. Schwarzenegger, Sylvester Stallone, and Bruce Willis were founding partners in the Planet Hollywood chain.
The movie The Expendables 2 is in some ways even better than the original. We have actor’s from the 80’s and beyond gathering together in a truly enjoyable movie. You can tell these guys are having the times of their lives doing this film. The audience will share in the enjoyment of a movie that packs in plenty of action, laughs, and great stars. This movie is definitely worth checking out.