71 Facts about Boku no Hero Academia (My Hero Academia)
Boku no Hero Academia (My Hero Academia) was written and illustrated by Kohei Hirakoshi. It is a superhero manga. Boku no Hero Academia began its serialization in July, 2014.
Volume 1 reached the 7th place on the weekly Oricon manga chart with 71,575 copies sold while volume 9 had 5,200,000 copies sold.
"The first season of My Hero Academia delivers thirteen episodes of fantastic action, elevated by a heartfelt story that's wrapped around a core cast of memorable and relatable characters." was said by Alex Osborn from IGN. However, Alex also said that the villains were pretty underdeveloped.
Boku no Hero Academia has an interesting storyline that revolves around a boy called Izuku Midoriya who has dreamed of becoming a hero as long as he can remember. Unfortunately, in the world where most of the people really do have powers and can become superheroes, there are those, just like Izuku Midoriya, who are not born with the power inside of them. They do not have a "Quirk". That's why Izuku Midoriya was called "Quirkless".
Midoriya's dream hit the first obstacle at the age of four. Why? Because Quirks are inherited genetically and they typically manifest in children around that age. With very simple words "You should probably give it up!" said by Midoriya's doctor, the dream of becoming a superhero got crushed.
Despite that, Izuku Midoriya never gave up from his dream!
And now, we bring you all Boku no Hero Academia, both anime and manga, facts we managed to find!
"I'm not gonna be your worthless punching bag Deku forever... Kacchan. I'm... I'm the Deku who always does his best!"— Izuku Midoriya to Katsuki Bakugou in "Rage, You Damned Nerd"
We will talk about:
Class 1-A is a homeroom class which counts 20 students. As you already know, the main protagonist, Izuku Midoriya, is in this class. Their teachers are All Might, Shouta Aizawa, Present Mic and Cementoss.
Seat No. 1 Yuuga Aoyama
This student is in constant need of getting attention. We could say that Yuuga is pretty much that one guy in the class who always gets ignored. However, in case you don't like him, your opinion will change in upcoming arcs unless you already caught up with manga.
- Kōhei Horikoshi says that he does not quite understand this character, but Yuuga is fun to draw so that is fine by him.
- In Yuuga's beta design, his hero name was slightly different: "Can't Stop Twinkle".
Seat No. 2 Mina Ashido
Really cheerful character. In most of the scenes, Mina was shown smiling.
- Mina's surname name "Ashido" is homophonous to "acid" (アシッド ashiddo).
- Kōhei Horikoshi planned to give her a Hero name "Alien Queen" as a reference to Ridley Scott's movies Alien. In that movie, there are creatures who possess acidic blood. In case you are reading Boku no Hero Academia manga, go back to chapter 45. There is an image of Mina shown as the Alien from the Alien franchise.
Seat No. 3 Tsuyu Asui
Pretty observant girl. Tsuyu was the first one to notice how Izuku Midoriya's powers resemble to powers of All Might.
- Tsuyu was originally more downbeat and had less frog-like legs before her final design.
- Tsuyu's appearance and powers are similar to those of Toad from Marvel's X-men. Both of them have bodies that resemble frogs and, also, they use goggles as part of their costume. Regarding their powers, Tsuyu is wall adhesive just like Toad. Both have the ability to extend their tongues up to long lengths.
- In a mugshot of Chika Amatori, as first seen in World Trigger manga chapter 151, there is a striking resemblance of Chika to Tsuyu. What's more, Tsuyu's birthday comes right after Chika's, both have the kanji for "rain" in their names and their character designs are related to frogs since Chika's zodiac sign is Rana, the frog.
Seat No. 4 Tenya Iida
Straightforward character. Tenya tends to take everything seriously and because of that he jumps to conclusions very fast.
- Tenya's name comes from "韋駄天" (idaten), meaning "great runner".
- Tenya's hero outfit strongly resembles Incursio from Akame ga Kill.
Seat No. 5 Ochako Uraraka
Very positive girl. Ochako gets excited over little things very easily and has a habit of overreacting.
- Ochako's name comes from ウラビティ (uravity), グラビティ (gravity) without the "g", making Ura (麗, urara), bi (日, that can also be read as ka), tea (茶, read as cha).
- In the First Popularity Poll, Ochako ranked 4th, currently making her the most popular female in Boku no Hero Academia.
- While her name was spelled as Ochako in a character illustration on the official manga website, it is spelled as Ochaco on both the anime website and PVs.
Seat No. 6 Mashirao Ojiro
Mashirao is a very kind character. We can, also, say that he is a hard worker.
- Mashirao's name contains the kanji for tail (尾), white (白), monkey (猿), and man (夫).
- According to Mashirao's profile in Volume 2, he likes martial arts.
Seat No. 7 Denki Kaminari
Denki Kaminari is way too flirty sometimes and has a habit to brag about himself in front of other female students. However, if Denki overuses his Quirk, he behaves differently.
- Denki's name contains the kanji for above (上), sound (鳴), and electricity (電気). His family name's reading kaminari (かみなり) is the same for thunder (雷).
- According to Kōhei Horikoshi, Denki has a role to tie the class together.
- Denki was the one of the first to be designed.
- Also, Kōhei Horikoshi likes to draw Denki, however he still cannot draw his hair consistently.
Seat No. 8 Eijirou Kirishima
Eijirou is depicted as a very supportive character. Eijirou tends to refer to things as "manly" or "unmanly".
- Eijirou's name contains the kanji for cut (切) and sharp (鋭).
- Eijirou likes meat and manly things.
- Kōhei Horikoshi mentions that Eijirou was, also, create to bring together the class with his personality.
Seat No. 9 Kouji Kouda
We didn't learn a lot about Kouji since he is such a shy and quiet character. Kouji prefers to use sign language to communicate with others.
- Kouji is from the Tohoku region of Japan.
- Kohei Horikoshi likes Kouji's design as it deviates away from human form.
Seat No. 10 Rikidou Satou
The same thing goes for Rikidou just like with Kouji. You can often see Rikidou with Kouji. They were partnered with each other in Battle Trial arc.
- According to Kohei Horikoshi, Rikidou's design has an old-era style look. Rikidou's appearance is similar to that of Kinnikuman from the manga series "Kinnikuman".
- Rikidou has the same Hero name, "Sugar Man", just like one villian from Marvel comics.
Seat No. 11 Mezou Souji
Mezou is often depicted as a very understanding character. Despite Mezou's appearance, he is very gently and friendly person.
- Mezou's name comes from "壁に耳あり障子に目あり" (Kabe ni mimi ari shōjinimeari which literally means "walls have ears, doors have eyes").
- Kohei Horikoshi likes to draw Mezou.
Seat No. 12 Kyouka Jirou
- Kyouka likes rock and can play the bass.
- Kyouka has shown significant amount of attraction or embarrassment towards female classmates. For example, when Momo tore her clothes to create a 100 mm insulator sheet, Kyouka blushed. Later on in manga, there were a couple of similar scenes.
Seat No. 13 Hanta Sero
According to Katsuki, Hanta has a "plain face". Hanta is both honest and insensitive as we could see in couple of scenes.
- Hanta's name is a pun on "セロハンテープ" (serohantēpu) meaning "cellophane tape".
Seat No. 14 Fumikage Tokoyami
The most serious character from 1-A class.
- "Yami" (闇) means "darkness", while "Kage" when written with the kanji "影", means "shadow". "Tsukuyomi" comes from Tsukuyomi-no-Mikoto.
- Kohei Horikoshi thinks that Tokoyami is an awesome character, however others see him differently.
- Fumikage's birthday is a day before Halloween.
Seat No. 15 Shouto Todoroki
As you could see, Shouto was very calm when they were attacked League of Villains and he already had a plan what to do. We could also add that Shouto is quite brutal in the battle.
- Shouto was 2nd during Aizawa's Quirk Apprehension Test and he was also ranked 2nd in the First Popularity Poll.
- Shouto's name contains the kanji for getting burned (焦) and freezing (凍).
- Along with Momo Yaoyorozu and Juuzou Honenuki, Shouto got into U.A. through official recommendations.
Seat No. 16 Tooru Hagakure
An invisible character who is sometimes unaware that she is invisible.
- Tooru's name "透" literally translated means "transparent".
- At Kohei Horikoshi planned for Tooru to be a male, but Kohei changed his mind and decided to go with a female version since he thought that way this character would be more interesting.
- Tooru's voice actress, Kaori Nazuka, also voices Mount Lady.
What is your favourite student from U.A. High?
Seat No. 17 Katsuki Bakugou
One of the favourite or the least favourite characters? Opinions are divided. However, Katsuki Bakugou is simply one the best representatives, at the moment, for Boku no Hero Academia.
- Katsuki ranked 1st during the Entrance Exam.
- In the original draft, Katsuki was more like a natural born genius, who sometimes spoke without thinking and unintentionally insulting others. The author, however, found this original draft to be boring and decided to make Katsuki an unpleasant character instead.
Seat No. 18 Izuku Midoriya
You already know a lot about this character. Izuku is the main character of the series. Izuku got his Quirk from All Might succeed to join U.A..
- In the First Popularity Poll, Izuku ranked 1st, which currently makes him the most popular character in the series.
- Izuku is the ninth user of One For All.
- Kohei Horikoshi first thought to make Izuku as an adult as can be seen in the one-shot My Hero.
- Izuku shares his birthday with Ichigo Kurosaki from Bleach.
- Izuku appeared on Animation special of Saiki Kusuo no Ψ Nan.
Seat No. 19 Minoru Mineta
The most perverted student from the class 1-A. Minoru is also the shortest with height of 108 cm (3'6").
- Minoru's name contains the kanji for great fertility (峰?) and berry (実?).
- Minoru's favorite things are girls.
Seat No. 20 Momo Yaoyorozu
As it can be seen, Momo has a great analytical skills. Momo proved that when she explained to everyone, in Battle Trial arc, why Tenya IIda did the best in the test.
- Momo ranked 1st during Shouta Aizawa's Quirk Apprehension Test.
- Momo's last name "Yaoyorozu" literally means "great number".
Nedzu is also called Mr. Principal. Nedzu is an animal who expressed a Quirk which is extremely rare to see in Boku no Hero Academia universe.
- Most people cannot tell whether Nedzu is a bear, a dog or a mouse.
- The word "Nedzu" is a play on the word for rat, nezumi.
Chiyo's Hero name is Recovery Girl. Chiyo is a nurse at U.A. and she treats all her patients kindly except those who have done something foolish.
- Chiyo's name contains the characters for discipline (修 shū), virtuous (善 zen), healing (治 chi) and provide (与 yo)
- Chiyo's family name comes from "修繕"("repaire").
Toshinori's Hero name is All Might. All Might is a teacher to Class 1-A and a former Pro Hero was the number one.
- All Might's attacks are named after states and cities in United States. What's more, All Might has a habit of saying English words from time to time.
- In the First Popularity Poll, All Might ranked 5th, which currently makes All Might the most popular Pro Hero and U.A. teacher in Boku no Hero Academia.
- All Might tends to call his male students as "my boy".
Shouta is also known as Eraserhead. Shouta is a homeroom teacher of 1-A.
- Aizawa's given name "消太" has the character "消" that means "erase".
- Shouta is a specialist in short-length sneak attacks.
- Shouta casually named his hero name from Present Mic.
According to official Twitter profile, Present Mic's real name is Yamada Hizashi.
- According to Present Mic's profile, Erasedhead and he were in the same class.
- Kohei Horikoshi first thought to draw Present Mic as a fat ld man who would do announcements. However, Kohei scrapped that idea and went with this version.
- The word 'HAGE' on Mic's headband means 'Baldness' in Japanese. Which may be a nod back to his original design as an old man.
- Present Mic has a radio show call "Put Your Hands of Radio" where you can listen to music every Friday non-stop.
One of the first Heroes to show up in Episode 1 was Kamui Woods. Kamui Woods is shown battling the villain while the crowd watched.
- During that fight you could notice that Kamui Woods' fighting style greatly resembles to Spiderman's.
- In beta design, Kamui Woods' real name was "Shinji Nishiya".
Along with Kamui Woods, another Hero had his first appearance in Episode 1 and that was Deathgoro.
- Deathgoro is a smoker.
- His Hero Name comes from sutegoro (ステゴロ), a Yakuza term for "hand-to-hand/barehanded combat".
League of Villains
Tomura's birth name is Tenko Shimura. Tomura is the leader of League of Villains and his life goal is to kill All Might.
- Tomura has a hand covering the front of his face and he refers to it as "father". The reason behind this has yet to be revealed.
- Tomura's stats are "DAAAD" which is a reference to his "Dad".
- Kohei Horikoshi once stated that every week he had problems drawing a certain character and that he was on the verge of tears each time. It is possible that Kohei thought about Tomura as he confessed having problems to draw inexpressive hands on Tomura extremely difficult.
- Tomura appears to suffer from an excoriation disorder due to his compulsive need to scratch at his neck.