Filipina Beauty: A Universal Pride
Four Women, One Country
The filipino blood, a symbol of excellence and innovation through the efforts of many brave countrymen who fought and offered their life to their beloved country.
Patriots, not only exist through bloodshed and war but, also by beauty and intellect. Somebody who is fierce enough to take on the journey towards the enemy's battleground. As she tries to accomplish victory and bring home the crown.
Through the years, there are many who attempted, but these four stood out leading the universe for the rest of their lifetime. Bringing home smiles to fellow Filipinos as they walk to the stage.
Like the philippine flag, they raise proudly above representing independence, hope, peace, and progress. Join me in this article as we get to take a closer look on their lives.
I. Yellow for Progress
Oh, just the same things I do. I think if he has been on the moon for so long, I think when he comes over he wants to change, I guess.
That is how 1st Filipina 1969 Miss Universe, Gloria Maria Aspillera Daza brought to the country after her reign as one of the most beautiful woman in the universe.
The yellow gown she was wearing during the her battle with 50 plus competitively stunning women gave justice to the Philippine flag as it represented progress.
Name: Gloria Maria Aspillera Daza also known as Gloria Diaz
Birthday: March 10, 1951
Residence: Aringay, La Union, Philippines
Occupation: Actress, Television Host, Endorser
- Binibining Pilipinas Universe (1969)
- Miss Universe (1969) where she also grabbed a special award as Best in Swimsuit
- MMFF Best Supporting Actress in the movie Jose Rizal (1998)
- Gawad Urian Award Best Supporting Actress in Batang Westside (2002) where she also won the FAMAS Best Supporting Actress by the same film
- PMPC Movie Supporting Actress of the Year in Nasaan Ka Man (2006)
- PMPC Award for Movies Supporting Actress of the Year in Sakal, Sakali, Saklolo (2008)
- FAMAS Awards Best Actress for Supporting Role in Sagrada Familia (2008)
II. White for Peace
A house and lot because it’s the most expensive thing and I can’t afford it. If I had a million bucks, I’ll buy a house and lot and live by myself and other people of course.
Those were the words spoken by the 2nd Filipina who conquered the Miss Universe Crown in 1973, four years prior to the victory of Daza.
Name: Maria Margarita Roxas Moran-Floirendo
Birthday: September 15, 1953
- Binibining Pilipinas (1973)
- Miss Universe (1973) where she also bagged a special award as Miss Photogenic
- President of Ballet Philippines
- Finished a Degree in Business Administration
- Promoter of Peace and Livelihood of Mindanao Commission of Women Organization
- Ambassador Trustee in Habitat for Humanity Philippines
III. Blue for Hope
If I were to be Miss Universe, I will use my voice to influence the youth and I would raise awareness to certain causes like HIV awareness to certain causes like HIV awareness that is timely and relevant to my country, which is the Philippines. I want to show the world – the universe rather – that I am confidently beautiful with a heart.
As blue as the azure skies, Filipina-German Pia Angela Alonzo Wurtzbach embodied the symbol of hope to her fellow countrymen during the 2015 miss universe competition. The winning answer that united the entire country no matter the status, age, religion, and sex.
Name: Pia Angela Alonzo Wurtzbach
Birthday: September 24, 1989
Residence: Cagayan de Oro, Misamis Oriental, Philippines
Occupation: Actress, Model, Television Host, Endorser
- Binibining Pilipinas 1st runner up (2013)
- Binibining Pilipinas top 15 (2014)
- Binibining Pilipinas Universe (2015)
- Miss Universe (2015)
- UNAIDS Goodwill Ambassador for Asia and the Pacific
- Gender Equality Advocate
- Supporter on LGBT Rights
- 34th PMPC Award for Movies New Actress of the Year in her appearance in the movie, Gandarrapido: The Revenger Squad
IV. Red for Independence
I would bring this aspect as a Miss Universe to see situations with a silver lining, and to assess where I could give something, where I could provide something as a spokesperson. If I could teach also people to be grateful, we could have an amazing world where negativity could not grow and foster, and children would have a smile on their face.
Red as a sign of independence which we attained through bloodshed. Filipina-Australian , Catriona Elisa Magnayon Gray completed and justifiesd the Philippine flag as she conquered the crown last year. She left not only a memory of her success, but also the a reminder of her wise choice of words during the question & answer portion.
Name: Catriona Elisa Magnayon Gray
Birthday: January 6, 1994
Residence: Albay, Bicol, Philippines
Occupation: Endorser, Artist, Model, Singer
- Master Certificate in Music Theory from Berklee College of Music
- Advocate for HIV/AIDS
- Supports Love Yourself Philippines
- Volunteers for Young Focus Philippines
- Miss World Philippines (2016)
- Miss Universe Philippines (2018)
- Miss Universe (2018)
Raise the hues of victory
Thanks to these gorgeous ladies who are gifted with beauty, wit, and courage to face the universe in the attempt of being a queen.
Now, that you knew more about them, do you have a favorite? Let me know in the comment section below.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2019 Shing Araya