Movie Night for One
A Great Way to De-Stress
There is nothing I like better than a night out at the movies. Give me a bucket of freshly popped popcorn and a box of candies and I'm a happy camper. What's even better than that you ask? How about a movie night in the comfort of your own home!
Life can get quite hectic especially in the busy city. There never seems to be enough time to do it all. Still deadlines must be met and responsibilities have to be dealt with. And sometimes when it does get too much, I just want to put my face in my hands, break down and cry!
So how do I handle myself in times like these? Well it depends on my level of stress. Most of the time all I need to do is to stop what I'm doing and get some exercise. Sometimes I'd do yoga and other times I would go for a brisk walk in the fresh air. But for extra stressful days I treat myself to what I like to call, a movie night.
*All photos taken by myself unless otherwise noted.
De-Stress with Herb Teas
This is my favorite herb tea sampler which includes all my favorites. I especially like Lemon Zinger with some honey. It works like a charm. Use sleepytime only before bed as it might be too relaxing for a movie.
Three Hours to Yourself
My new thing these days is to have a movie night all by myself. The truth of the matter is I enjoy time alone and it seems to be one of the best ways for me to de-stress. This activity works especially well when you're extremely stressed out. Before you reach for those anti anxiety pills, try this idea for a change.
Here are a few pointers to keep in mind. Make sure that you allocate at least 3 hours of time alone. If you have kids, make sure your husband takes them out for a few hours. Choose a movie you've always wanted to see or go back to an old reliable standby. Endulge in some popcorn and get candy that you like. I know theaters in America means having a big tub of soda in your hand but I find that a large pot of herb tea works better in calming my nerves. It's really up to you so whatever works for you is best.
- DVD of your favorite movie
- A box of your favorite candy or chocolate
- A comfortable pillow or two
- A vase of flowers (optional)
- Scented candles (optional)
- 1. Make sure you are alone and won't be bothered for a few hours.
- 2. Make sure your room is clean.
- 3. Prepare snacks. Put popcorn and candies in nice bowls or containers.
- 4. Make a pot of herbal tea or your favorite beverage.
- 5. Pop your DVD in and turn it on.
- 6. As the trailers are being shown, light your candles if you have them and dim the lights.
- 7. Use a couple of pillows to make yourself comfortable such as propping your feet up on the table.
- 8. Eliminate all thoughts of your children, husband, dog and anything else that's usually on your mind.
- 9. Sit back, relax and enjoy your movie night.
I love to be alone. I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude.— Henry David Thoreau
Movies for your Viewing Pleasure
Recently I've been going through a nostalgia phase so with the exception of one, I've chosen movies that are oldies but definitely goodies.
My all-time favorite Goldie Hawn movie, I've watched this flick more than 10 times! I can't even tell you why I love it so much but I just do.
Watching this movie made me want to visit Seatlle in real life and made me a Meg Ryan fan.
The movie that defines my generation. I don't know about you, but I totally relate to this movie.
I haven't seen this yet as it's so new and hasn't come to Japan yet, but it looks like a fun movie to watch.
Which of the above movies is your favorite?
What do you do to de-stress and unwind? Do you watch movies for relaxation? Tell me what you think.