We Love Muriel's Wedding
Here Comes the Bride
Muriel Heslop (Toni Collette) lives in Porpoise Spit, Australia in the early 90s. According to just about everyone in town the surest sign that you've succeeded is by getting married.
Muriel bedroom is plastered with magazine images of brides, but there's only one problem; Muriel can't seem to find anyone who likes her enough to marry her. Especially when she hangs with the current uppity crowd of harlots who chastise her for:
* never listening
* not wearing the right clothes
* being fat
* listening to 70s music in the 90s
* and constantly embarrassing them.
When her "friends" dump her she steals $12,000 from her father and follows the girls on a lavish trip hoping they'll change their minds. Instead she meets an old classmate, Rhonda Epinstalk (Rachel Griffiths) who shows Muriel how to have a good time and still be herself.
The two girls run off to Sydney, get jobs and share a flat. Away from her father's constant berating of her failures Muriel is able to blossom into a woman worth knowing; one who begins enjoying her life. She cuts and de-frizzes her hair and gets a healthy glowing splotch-free complexion.
This is a charming film about growing up, self esteem, surviving in a dysfunctional family and learning to live on your own. There are laughs, sadness (one of the characters develops cancer and another commits suicide). And of course there's catchy Abba music throughout!
Watch the Trailer for Muriel's Wedding
Why I Love Muriel's Wedding in 100 Words or Less
Hilarity ensues when Muriel Heslop steals $12,000 from her lying, cheating father and runs away to Sydney in hopes of changing her boring life for the better. She ends up having a whole lot of fun and learning that she can't get through her life stealing and lying to get what she wants.
Sing the Music from Muriel's Wedding!
1. Bridal Dancing Queen (The Wedding Band)
2. Sugar Baby Love (The Rubettes)
3. We've Only Just Begun (The Carpenters)
4. Lonely Hearts (The Wedding Band)
5. The Tide Is High (Blondie)
6. Waterloo (Abba)
7. I Go To Rio (Peter Allen)
8. Bean Bag (The Wedding Band)
9. T-Shirts & Jeans (Razorbrain)
10. I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself (Dusty Springfield)
11. Bridal Dancing Queen (The Wedding Band)
12. I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do (Abba)
13. Happy Together (The Turtles)
14. Muriel's Wedding (The Wedding Band)
15. Dancing Queen (Abba)
Watch a clip of Muriel and Rhonda's Fabba Abba performance at the Hibiscus Island Star Search. It's Fabba-ulous!
Leave a warm fuzzie or two.