rapper DMX brief biography
Rapper DMX brief biography
In an appearance on the television show, Lifechangers with Dr. Drew, rapper DMX spoke candidly about his life, his trials and tribulations.
- Raised by a single mother with no father around, DMX already felt a lot of anger within him by the age of three.
- Exposed to rough neighborhoods, gang culture and lifestyle, he himself felt a propensity for violence.
- He also claims that he suffered very harsh physical discipline from his mother. Dr. Drew asked if DMX was ever hurt so badly by her that he had to be sent to the hospital and DMX responded no but he could not even sit down in class at school sometimes because of how he had been spanked.
- By the age of fourteen, DMX had gained an interest in and access to drugs.
- He became a famous rapper at a relatively young age and with that came much wealth and fame. He used some of this new amount of money to buy even more drugs.
- DMX experienced the effects of excessive drug and alcohol use in changes in behavior including impulsivity and lack of judgment, often manifesting itself with problematic actions such as erratic driving and speeding.
- In his interview, DMX claimed that celebrities are treated with either love or hate. There is no in between and when he got pulled over by police for numerous traffic violations, sometimes the police were lenient and sometimes they wanted to give him the worst possible punishment for the crime.
- DMX has been arrested so many times that he himself has stopped counting.
A short time as a fugitive
- Early on in his arrest records, DMX spent some time (approximately a month) as a fugitive from a minimal security prison. When asked how he managed to escape before having to return to the facility, he said that he and some of his fellow inmates just made a pre-planned run for it.
- They were escaping a facility that was 'in the middle of nowhere' during the winter time so they used tactics such as wrapping their legs with saran wrap for insulation.
- Despite his notoriety and run ins with the law, DMX has enjoyed a huge fan base. While some of his rap music was of a gangster style with often offensive and explicit lyrics sometimes objectifying women, other songs were more well known and accepted in the mainstream not just in the 'thug life'.
- Some songs were edited to exclude profanity (and sometimes not edited at all) and were played very often at clubs, college and high school parties.
- A notable and frequent favorite of DMX songs was Party Up
- People from all walks of life were definitely acknowledging DMX's talent for rapping.
Some lyrics for Party Up
"Ya'll gonna make me lose my mind up in here, up in here....
Ya'll gonna make me go all out up in here, up in here.
Ya'll gonna make me act the fool up in here, up in here.
Ya'll gonna make me lose my cool up in here up in here"....
A strict father?
- To date, DMX has ten children and he claims to get along with all. He has admitted to using spanking as a form of discipline but tried hard to not use brutality when spanking his kids
- He asked Dr. Drew if he spanks his children and Dr. Drew said no because he knows what it does to the brain and the negative effect it has on a child's ability to process emotion and feelings of anger.
DMX has some songs about God?
- It has been stated by some celebrity biography sources such as Wikipedia that DMX presumably struggles with bipolar disorder.
- If such is the case, drug use and alcohol might have an even more notable and marked effect on him than on the average person.
- It's been said that he was once court ordered to stop use of alcohol.
- Often times, when DMX is released from prison and makes attempts to rehabilitate, he acknowledges God for sustenance and the miracle of being able to get back on his feet.
- He has proudly proclaimed his faith at times, turning away from the more gangster style of rap and its explicit lyrics to songs about his faith and redemption.
- A video for my favorite, the 2006 Lord Give Me a Sign is below.
- Some might say that this music is still too loud and gritty to be considered faithful music which should be more soothing, but DMX has definitely touched the lives of many with his faith based music.
- Many of DMX's fans including some criminals and ex-criminals who had felt themselves turning away from God reported that DMX's faith based music had a powerful and positive affect on helping them find a change of heart.
- DMX already has a huge fan base among those of the gangster lifestyle as he is known for his gangster rap so when he can bring more positive messages to the same people, his impact is profound.
Some Lord Give Me a Sign lyrics
"....Lord give me a sign.
I really need to talk to you, Lord.
Since the last time we talked, the walk has been hard.
Now I know you haven't left me but I feel like I'm alone.
I'm a big boy now but I'm still not grown.
And I'm still going through it.
The pain and the hurt.
Soaking up trouble like rain in the dirt....
And I know if only I can stop the rain with just the mention of my savior's name.
In the name of Jesus!.."
....."Lord, give me a sign. Show me what I've got to do to bring me closer to you. 'Cause I'm gonna go through whatever you want me to. Just let me know what to do. Lord, give me a sign.."
"..The devil's trying to find me. Hide me. Hold up. I take that back. Protect me and give me the strength to fight back! Lord, give me a sign!.."