- Entertainment and Media»
- Television & TV Shows»
- TV Shows
Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In
Funniest Comedy Show Ever!
Comedy doesn't get much better than Rowan & Martin's Laugh In. This classic comedy show ran from 1967 until 1973, and will be remembered as one of a kind.
This NBC comedy and variety program is one that goes down in the archives as humor at its best. The generation of kids too young to be watching TV during the late 60s and early 70s can spout their LOL comments all over FB and refer to the humor in shows like SNL, but ya know what? They missed it.
Rowan & Martin's Laugh In just simply takes the cake when it comes to humor and comedy and flat out ROFL fun!
You bet your bippy! ...and that's the truth!
image: amazon (link below)
POLL: Funniest Comedy Show of All Time?
Which show would YOU rate as the funniest comedy show EVER?
What's Special about LAUGH IN ???
Glad You Asked... About this UNIQUE comedy show!
* Lightning-fast pace and a helter-skelter visual style stretched the technical capabilities of video tape and television.
* One-liners, sketches, blackouts and guest appearances by famous personalities were all edited into a frenetic whole while at the same time remaining a fragmented series.
* The regular cast was large and the turnover was high. Of 40 regulars who appeared in the series, only 4 were in it from beginning to end - hosts Rowan & Martin and announcers Ruth Buzzi and Gary Owens.
* Featured humor that was sometimes nonsensical, sometimes "right on" and sometimes right off center ... still 'Laugh In' managed to avoid the censorship problems which were a big issue during that era for the 'Smothers Brothers' and other similar shows.
* Jokes included subjects like death, drugs, drugs and homosexuality; which was extremely daring for 1968, particularly for Americans.
* Laugh-In ignored the traditional separation of comedy, musical performance, and dramatic interludes. All were combined into one hilarious whole in a totally unique way.
About Laugh In... Did You Know?
Little known facts about this comedy show...
Even if you ARE old enough to remember the Rowan & Martin's Laugh In show...
Here's a few facts about it that we'll just BET you NEVER knew.
- The 'Rowan & Martin Laugh In' debut was originally aired as a one-shot special. Yes, it was originally intended to be a one time show, but received such HUGE applaud that it was later developed into a weekly comedy show. When it became an immediate hit the laugh-in show quickly became the highest-rated series of the late 1960s!
- Laugh-in brought many minority and female performers into mainstream audiences, which helped to broaden the composition of television comedy.
- In the 1960s age of "sit-ins," "love-ins" and "teach-ins," what NBC was proposing was a "laugh-in" and that DID somehow bridge generational gaps.
- Guest stars played no privileged role on LAUGH IN. Everyone seemed to want to appear on Laugh-in for awhile, with guests on one episode including Jack Lemmon, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Hugh Hefner, and presidential candidate Richard Nixon.
- NO guest appeared for more than a few seconds at a time.
...and you can put THAT in your Funk & Wagnall!
Refresh your memory of Rowan and Martin's Laugh IN with a these favorite video skits below.
Best of Laugh In
Best of Laugh In
Of the entire cast of LAUGH IN, which charactor was your favorite?
POLL: Your FAVORITE from Rowan & Martin's Laugh-IN?
Here come da judge...
You BET your BIPPY!
Rowan and Martin's Laugh In Highlights on DVD
BEST of Rowan & Martin's Laugh In DVD Set
This three disc DVD set includes a delightful bonus - interviews with Gary Owens, Ruth Buzzi and Arte Johnson.
They discuss how they were hired for the show and how they worked together to create it.
Also, creator and producer George Schlatter explains the genesis of LAUGH IN and says that there's a pictoral recreation of the joke wall with pictures of the regulars saying the lines they made famous.
This DVD 3 disc set provides a fun look back at a piece of television and comedy history.
LAUGH IN Cast Photo GalleryClick thumbnail to view full-size
Join the discussion below about Rowan and Martin's Laugh IN
Remember Laugh IN? Sure ya do.