- Entertainment and Media
Slumdog Millionaire Film
A young man's struggle to find lost love and fortune... Can he win it all?
Set in Mumbai, Dev Patel portrays an 18 year old orphan Jamal Malik works in a call center as serving tea; that rose out of poverty after winning the jackpot in the Indian version of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire television series.
As a result, he is accused of winning the game show because he's just a self-confessed non-genius that never had a higher education. Or is it just a pure luck that they had asked him questions to which he knows all the answers?
As the interrogation continues, he will reminisce his life journey includes being orphaned at an early age; growing up with an older brother, Salim (Madhur Mittal), who was both his guardian/protector and antagonist; and having a relationship since childhood with another orphaned child, a girl named Latika (Freida Pinto). His motivation for being on the show also may provide some answers to his success. In the long run of the movie it shows all the significance of his life struggles in poverty, injustices and abandonment for him to be able to find answers to real life questions.
The Official Slumdog Millionaire Movie Poster
A Note About the Movie Title
This is the movie adaptation of the novel Q & A in 2005 written by Indian author and diplomat Vikas Swarup.
Set in India, it tells the story of Ram Mohammad Thomas, a poor young waiter who becomes the biggest quiz-show winner in history, only to be sent to jail on accusations (but with no evidence or proof) that he cheated. It was the basis of the 2008 feature film Slumdog Millionaire. The novel was re-published under the title Slumdog Millionaire after the success of the film.
“Visually dazzling and emotionally resonant, Slumdog Millionaire is a film that's both entertaining and powerful. -Rotten Tomatoes”
Release Date 12 November 2008 (US)
- Rated R for some violence, disturbing images and language.
- Crime | Drama | Romance
- 120 min runtime
- Won 8 Oscars. | Best Achievement in Cinematography, Best Achievement in Directing, Best Achievement in Editing, Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Score, Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Song
A.R. Rahman (music)
For the song "Jai Ho", Best Achievement in Sound, Best Motion Picture of the Year, Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or Published, Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Song
For the song "O Saya", Best Achievement in Sound Editing.
Another 76 wins & 28 nominations
- Language: English | Hindi
- Written by Simon Beaufoy
- Directed by: Danny Boyle
Loveleen Tandan (co-director: India)
- Music by A.R. Rahman
- Distributed by Path Pictures International (UK/Europe)
Fox Searchlight Pictures (US/Canada)
Warner Bros. Pictures (in association)
Dev Patel as Jamal Malik
Skins, Xpos, Slumdog Millionaire, The Last Airbender
Freida Pinto as Latika
Xpos, Slumdog Millionaire
Madhur Mittal as Salim Malik
Say Salaam India, Slumdog Millionaire
Anil Kapoor as Prem Kumar
Viva Sunita! , Slumdog Millionaire
Editing by: Chris Dickens
Seed of Chucky, Shaun of the Dead, A Complete History of My Sexual Failures
Cinematography by Anthony Dod Mantle
Music by A.R. Rahman
Written by Simon Beaufoy
Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day, Yasmin, This Is Not a Love Song
Produced by Christian Colson
The Descent, Centurion, Eden Lake, Separate Lies
Directed by Danny Boyle
Trainspotting, 28 Days Later, A Life Less Ordinary, Alien Love Triangle
Directed by Loveleen Tandan
Tandoori Love, Vanity Fair, Monsoon Wedding
Slumdog Millionaire Film on DVD!
Slumdog Millionaire Movie Trivias:
- Throughout the film, particularly in the scenes where Jamal lives as a child in the slums, the word "chaiwala" can be seen. Jamal's is a chaiwala, or tea server at the time he appears on the TV show.
- The first Best Cinematography Oscar winner to be predominantly shot in digital. This is also the first Best Picture Oscar winner since 1928 not to be shot on Kodak film (35mm segments were filmed on Fuji stocks).
- The actor whose autograph young Jamal gets is Amitabh Bachchan. Amitabh Bachchan is a very real, and very famous Indian actor, the original host of the Indian version of "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire", and also the father-in-law of Aishwarya Rai (or Aishwarya Rai-Bachchan as she is known after marriage).
- Director Danny Boyle placed the money to be paid to the 3 lead child actors in a trust that is to be released to them upon their completion of grade school at 16 years of age. The production company has set up for an auto-rikshaw driver to take the kids to school everyday until they are 16 years old.
- The current exchange rate for 20,000,000 Rupees (the grand prize on "Who Wants to be a Millionaire") is USD$411,600.
- The second Danny Boyle film to feature a protagonist diving into a toilet, after Trainspotting (1996).
- The pile of excreta that the young Jamal jumps into and was made from a combination of peanut butter and chocolate.
- This movie almost was released straight to DVD instead of getting a theatrical release.
- A.R. Rahman took just 20 days to compose the entire soundtrack.
- This is the first film since Schindler's List (1993) to win Best Picture, Director and Screenplay at the Golden Globes, BAFTAs and the Oscars.
- Local Indian authorities decided to step in and move the children and their families from slums to new houses.
Movie Links - All the best info in the web.
- Fox Searchlight - Slumdog Millionaire - Official Site
Has information on the film, reviews, videos, cast and crew.
- Slumdog Millionaire - Official Movie Site - In Cinemas Jan 9
Slumdog Millionaire, a film by Danny Boyle - official movie site. In cinemas January 9. Cast: Dev Patel, Anil Kapoor, Frieda Pinto.
- Slumdog Millionaire : Review : Rolling Stone
Nov 13, 2008 ... What I feel for this movie isn't just admiration, it's mad love. And I couldn't be more surprised....
- Slumdog Millionaire (2008): Reviews
Nov 12, 2008 ... Slumdog Millionaire is the story of Jamal Malik, an 18 year-old orphan from the slums of Mumbai, who is about to experience the biggest day ...
- Slumdog Millionaire - Trailer - Cast - Showtimes - NYTimes.com
A gaudy, gorgeous rush of color, sound and motion, “Slumdog Millionaire,” the ... Title: Slumdog Millionaire Running Time: 116 Minutes Status: Released ...
- 'Slumdog Millionaire' - Los Angeles Times
Nov 12, 2008 ... Who would believe that the best old-fashioned audience picture of the year, a Hollywood-style romantic melodrama that delivers major studio ...
Slumdog Millionaire Videos
Slumdog Millionaire Film by Naiza Oclares is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at www.squidoo.com.