That's Amore - Italian Love Songs
Listening to Italian Love Songs
Whenever love is in the air, an Italian is sure to be somewhere nearby, crooning the Italian love song "That's Amore". When it comes to music there are quite a few Italian love songs that are timeless. They are a beloved part of our culture here in America just as much as in Italy. Some Italian love songs were actually written in the United States performed by a couple of our favorite Italian Americans such as Dean Martin, Louie Prima and Frank Sinatra.
Here is a list of Italian love songs for your listening pleasure, they are in no specific order as that is personal preference; however, they are grouped into Italian-American and Italian artists. If there is one I am missing or a personal favorite you would like to see on the list please feel free to add it to the list. There are so many songs out there I am bound to miss one.
Photo Credit - Attribution The Italian Voice (CC BY 2.0)
That's Amore - Dean Martin
Dean Martin's name pops up on this list a few times. Known for many classic Italian love songs I thought I would start off with a video to get you in the mood. Here is Dino singing the famous "That's Amore".
Torna a Surriento and Innamorata
Frank Sinatra and Jerry Vale doing what they do best.
And The Award Goes Too...
Who Is Your Favorite Italian-American Singer?
Because We Can Use a Little Dean and Frank in Our Lives
5 Ways to Say I Love You in Italian
The Italian language belongs to the romance family, considered by many to be one of the most beautiful languages in the world. It is no surprise at how many Italian love phrases there are, here are 5 romantic phrases you can whisper into your lover's ear.
Ti Amo (I love you)
Ti Voglio Bene (I love you)
Sono innamorato/innamorata di the (I am in love with you)
Ti voglio baciare (I want to kiss you)
Ti adoro - (I adore you)
Parla Italiano - Speak Italian
Speak a language of love!
Ti Voglio Bene Assai - Lucio Dalla
The title of this beautiful song is actually Caruso but is known as Ti Voglio Bene Assai. An amazingly passionate song of how much one can love another. In the video it is performed brilliantly by the writer Lucio Dalla. If you are a fan of Luciano Pavarotti he also does a wonderful version of this song.
From Italy With Love
This list consists of wonderful love songs performed by Italian musicians. Some are well known or recognized here in the states, while others are popular in Italy and still finding their way here. I love it when I am exploring new music and find a great new song or artist, I hope you find a new one on this list. Happy listening!
- Caruso (Ti Voglio Bene Assai) - Lucio Dalla - Hopefully you were able to enjoy this song in the video above. I just love the passion with which he sings this song, it is almost as if he love so much it hurts.
- O Sole Mio - A classic by Luciano Pavarotti. He is an amazing vocalist and has so many love songs; classic, operatic and even pop, it was impossible to list them all.
- Con The Partiro (Time To Say Goodbye) - Andrea Bocelli and Sarah Brightman. A lovely duet about a man who has to leave, he is traveling and working but always loving her. Andrea Bocelli is another outstanding singer, this song is actually originally done as a solo and entirely in Italian. Any of his albums are beautiful and full of love songs.
- La Solitudine - Laura Pausin. This extremely talented young artist made it big in Italy after winning a singing contest. Think American Idol only Italy had their singing competition long before we did. This song is about young love gone wrong and heartache.
- Vivo Per Lei - Andrea Bocelli and Giorgia. Bocelli made the list again with this beautiful duet sung with another well known Italian artist Giorgia. This is such a great song, it is about the love of music. How they both love her (music) and live for her.
- Sapore di Sale - Gino Paoli. This fun song is an ode to a kiss. He is at the beach with his lover and when she comes to him after a swim her lips and skin 'taste of salt' from the sea.
- Non Me Lo So Spiegare - Tiziano Ferro. This is one of those heartbreaking songs of lost love. Everything he does reminds him of her.
- Strani Amori - Laura Pausin. She made the list twice. This is another great song about young love.
- Inevitabile - Giorgia and Eros Ramazzotti. Two popular Italian artists singing about where the inevitable attraction of one another will lead to.
- Piu Bella Cosa - Eros Ramazzotti. He is such a great singer songwriter and this is a fantastic song. He is singing of how there are many beautiful things in life, his life, but nothing more beautiful you.
For Your Viewing and Listening Pleasure - Andrea Bocelli and Giorgia, Laura Pausin, Eros Ramazzotti
Here are a few of the songs from Italy. I know it can be challenging to listen to music in another language so kudos to you for giving it a try!!
Italians are lovers
Something I came across the other day...
Classic European Heaven & Hell:
Heaven: Where cooks are French, mechanics are German, police are English, lovers are Italian and everything is organized by the Swiss.
Hell: Where cooks are English, mechanics are French, police are Germans, lovers are Swiss and everything is organized by the Italians.