- Entertainment and Media
The Hunger Games (Film)
The World Will Be Watching
Set somewhere in the ruins of what was once North America, the evil Capitol of the nation of Panem forces each of its twelve district to send a teenage boy and a girl to compete in the Hunger Games every year. A nationally televised event which is called The Hunger Games consists of tributes who will fight with one another until there is one survivor left.
The protagonist Katniss is forced to rely on her sharp instincts as well from the mentor Haymitch Abernathy. If she's ever to return home to District 12, Katniss must make impossible choices in the arena that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.
A Note About the The Hunger Games Film
This is the movie adaptation of the novel The Hunger Games Series written by the American sci-fi novelist Suzanne Collins.
The extraordinary, ground breaking New York Times bestsellers The Hunger Games and Catching Fire, along with the third book in The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins, Mockingjay, are available for the first time ever in a beautiful boxset edition. Stunning, gripping, and powerful. The trilogy is now complete!
The Hunger Games - Plot (2012)
In a dystopian future, the totalitarian nation of Panem is divided between 12 districts and the Capitol. Each year two young representatives from each district are selected by lottery to participate in The Hunger Games.
The Hunger Games Katniss Movie Poster
Poster Print (24X36)
Part entertainment, part brutal retribution for a past rebellion, the televised games are broadcast throughout Panem. The 24 participants are forced to eliminate their competitors while the citizens of Panem are required to watch. When 16-year-old Katniss's young sister, Prim, is selected as District 12's female representative, Katniss volunteers to take her place. She and her male counterpart Peeta, are pitted against bigger, stronger representatives who have trained for this their whole lives.(excerpt from IMDb)
Released Date: March 23, 2012
- Genre: Sci-Fi | Action | Drama | Thriller
- Runtime: 142 min
- Screenplay by: Gary Ross, Suzanne Collins, Billy Ray
- Directed by Gary Ross
- Music by James Newton Howard
- Distributed by Lionsgate
Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss Everdeen
Like Crazy, Winter's Bone, X-Men:First Class
Josh Hutcherson as Peeta Mellark
Bridge to Terabithia, The Kids Are All Right, American Splendor
Liam Hemsworth as Gale Hawthorne
The Last Song, Knowing, Triangle
Woody Harrelson as Haymitch Abernathy
Cheers, No Country for Old Men, Zombieland
Elizabeth Banks as Effie Trinket
The 40 Year Old Virgin Man, The Next Three Days, What to Expect When You're Expecting
Lenny Kravitz as Cinna
Bad Boys II, Precious, Batman Forever
Stanley Tucci as Caesar Flickerman
The Terminal, The Devil Wears Prada, Captain America: The First Avenger
Wes Bentley as Seneca Crane
American Beauty, The Four Feathers, P2
Willow Shields as Primrose Everdeen
Beyond the Blackboard, The Haunting Hour
Alexander Ludwig as Cato
Race to Witch Mountain, The Seeker
Isabelle Fuhrman as Clove
Orphan, Hounddog, A Turtle's Tale
Jacqueline Emerson as Foxface
The Father of the Pride, The Hunger Games
Leven Rambin as Glimmer
All My Children, Gigantic, Babe
Paula Malcomson as Katniss' Mother
The Green Mile, AI, Tombstone
Dayo Okeniyi as Thresh
Lions Among Men, Eyes to See, Slew Hampshire
Amandla Stenberg as Rue
Colombiana, Texas Killing Fields, Why Did I Get Married Too?
Jack Quaid as Marvel
Sitting Babies, The Hunger Games
Donald Sutherland as President Coriolanus Snow
The Italian Job, Ordinary People, Pride & Prejudice
Toby Jones as Claudius Templesmith
The Mist, The Adventures of Tin Tin, My Week with Marilyn
Directed/Story by Gary Ross
Pleasantville, Seabiscuit, Big
Writing Credits: Billy Ray (Screenplay)
Breach, State of Play, Color of Night
Writing Credits: Suzanne Collins (Novel/Screenplay)
Santa Baby, Clarissa Explains It All
The Hunger Games Trailer - The Official Theatrical Trailer
“A blockbuster that has something to say about the world we could be living in. Unlike Twilight, this film actually has a deeper and more important philosophical meaning. -Rotten Tomatoes”
The Hunger Games Movie Trivias:
- The name of the main character, Katniss, is derived from the name of a group of edible plant species, genus "Sagittaria", commonly known as "arrowhead". This is a reference to the character's archery skills.
- The four-note melody that Katniss uses as her signal with Rue (and that plays at the end of most trailers) is G-Bb-A-D.
- Though she appeared in all three books, and was featured prominently in the movie, actress Elizabeth Banks's character's name, Effie Trinket, was never mentioned in the movie.
- While horsing around on the set, Jennifer Lawrence accidentally kicked Josh Hutcherson in the head, knocking him out and resulting in a concussion.
- The director has stated that his decision to go with shaky cam work, "had a lot to do with [the] urgency of what's going on and [to reflect protagonist Katniss Everdeen's] point of view."
- The fictional nation in the film is called Panem. This is derived from "Panem et Circenses," or "Bread and Circuses," which comes from the latter days of the Roman Empire, in which the government would keep the masses satisfied not by performing their public services well, but by providing violent and deadly entertainments for the people to watch, which is rather fitting for the subject matter of the film.
The Hunger Games Movie Reviews - Add Yours!
What's Your Opinion of the Movie and the Cast? Add Your Opinion Here!