The Top 100 Classic Rock Songs Of All Time
The Best 100 Classic Rock Tunes List
To some degree this is a hubcaps to ice cream comparison, each song having its place in our lives, with likeability highly subject to personal taste. Should Bruce Springsteen's "Born To Run" be ranked higher than Steppenwolf's "Born To Be Wild"? I suppose it depends on what the criteria are, and most assuredly, who you ask. And that means any list like this is sure to be controversial. But it's darn fun so let's get on with it anyway!
This roots of this project extend to when I inquired, via e-mail, of a girl I met from an online dating site, LeeAnn, what her top ten classic rock picks would be. I sent her a relatively lame list I'd found online to choose from (no Springsteen or Doobie Brothers at all, for example).
Magic Carpet Ride
Behind Blue Eyes
Whole Lotta Love
Don't Fear the Reaper
Let it Be
Crazy on You
Bad Moon Rising
I had already picked mine:
Crazy On You
Back In Black
All Right Now
Life In The Fast Lane
You Shook Me All Night Long
hmmm... only one match. I could have saved some bucks if I'd have heeded the warning: we dated a couple times and in spite of some serious chemistry, it fizzled out to an occasional e-mail exchange. Oh well, the way I see it women come & go but music is 'till death do we part, lol. .. The important thing is dating her got me thinking about making a better list!
Top 100 Classic Rock Songs of All Time
A work in progress
1. Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin
2. All Right Now - Free
3. Rock & Roll Hoochie Koo- Rick Derringer
4. Bad To The Bone - George Thorogood
5. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction - Rolling Stones
6. Johnny B. Goode - Chuck Berry
7. Long Cool Woman (In A Black Dress) - Hollies
8. Rocky Mountain Way - Joe Walsh
9. Good Vibrations - Beach Boys
10. The Boys Are Back In Town by Thin Lizzy
11. I Feel Good - James Brown
12. We're An American Band - Grand Funk Railroad
13. Purple Haze- Jimi Hendrix
14. (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay - Otis Redding
15. Magic Carpet Ride - Steppenwolf
16. Born To Run - Bruce Springsteen
17. Layla - Derek & the Dominos
18. Long Train Runnin'- Doobie Brothers
19. Dream On - Aerosmith
20. Free Bird - Lynyrd Skynyrd
21. Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On - Jerry Lee Lewis
22. When A Man Loves A Woman - Percy Sledge
23. Hey Jude - Beatles
24. Life In The Fast Lane - Eagles
25. Rock Around The Clock - Bill Haley & His Comets
26. You Really Got Me - Kinks
27. American Pie - Don McLean
28. I'm Eighteen- Alice Cooper
29. La Grange- ZZ Top
30. Sympathy For The Devil - Rolling Stones
31. Brown Eyed Girl- Van Morrison
32. Louie Louie - The Kingsmen
33. Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
34. Bo Diddley - Bo Diddley
35. Yesterday - The Beatles
36. My Generation - The Who
37. Smoke On The Water - Deep Purple
38. Don't Be Cruel - Elvis Presley
39. Whole Lotta Love - Led Zeppelin
40. Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd
41. Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix
42. Old Time Rock & Roll - Bob Seger
43. In The Midnight Hour - Wilson Pickett
44. Money- Pink Floyd
45. Oh Pretty Woman - Roy Orbison
46. Sunshine Of Your Love - Cream
47. Walk This Way - Aerosmith
48. Sweet Child O' Mine - Guns N' Roses
49. A Whiter Shade Of Pale - Procol Harum
50. What's Goin' On - Marvin Gaye
51. Crazy On You- Heart
52. Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd
53. You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet- BTO
54. Radar Love- Golden Earing
55. Good Golly, Miss Molly - Little Richard
56. Everyday People - Sly & The Family Stone
57. Roundabout - Yes
58. Sledgehammer - Peter Gabriel
59. Born To Be Wild - Steppenwolf
60. Free Ride - Edgar Winter Group
61. Voodoo Child - Jimi Hendrix
62. November Rain - Guns N' Roses
63. You Shook Me All Night Long - AC/DC
64. The House Of The Rising Sun - Animals
65. Mr. Tambourine Man - Byrds
66. Let's Go Crazy - Prince
67. Please, Please, Please - James Brown
68. Iron Man- Black Sabbath
69. Walk On The Wild Side - Lou Reed
70. Won't Get Fooled Again - Who
71. Slow Ride - Foghat
72. Crossroads - Cream
73. Blue Suede Shoes - Carl Perkins
74. With Or Without You - U2
75. More Than A Feeling - Boston
76. We Will Rock You - Queen
77. Go Your Own Way - Fleetwood Mac
78. Proud Mary - Creedence Clearwater Revival
79. Jailhouse Rock - Elvis Presley
80. Lola - Kinks
81. Show Me The Way - Peter Frampton
82. White Rabbit- Jefferson Airplane
83. Southern Man - Neil Young
84. Money - Pink Floyd
85. Jump- Van Halen
86. Master of Puppets - Metallica
87. One Way Out- The Allman Brothers
88. Rock and Roll All Night - KISS
89. That'll Be The Day - Buddy Holly & The Crickets
90. Brandy - Looking Glass
91. Roadhouse Blues- The Doors
92. Every Breath You Take - Police
93. Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
94. The Joker - Steve Miller Band
95. All Day And All Of The Night - Kinks
96. Fly By Night - Rush
97. Like A Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan
98. Hound Dog - Elvis Presley
99. Jumpin' Jack Flash - Rolling Stones
100. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Elton John
As to the question: Should we replace What I Say in slot 10 with The Boys Are Back In Town by Thin Lizzy? 70% of you said "yes" 20% "no" so it's a done deal.
As To Radar Love Occupying Slot 54?
Should we bump 52. Comfortably Numb and add the Springsteen penned Blinded By The Light-Manfred Mann's Earth Band?
By The Way, If You Enjoyed This You Might Just Like My Lens On The Eagles:
Poll on Bruce & The Beach Boys
Switch #16 Born To Run- Springsteen with #9 Good Vibrations- Beach Boys?
Should we add Godzilla (Blue Oyster Cult) and/or 157 Riverside Avenue by REO Speedwagon?
Yes, we have no instrumentals!
Add Peter Gunn?
BTO is now on the list - Yes, there was some debate...
...as to which particular song but almost everyone wanted some BTO. "You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet" has entered mid-list.
So what about Heart? We already have Crazy On You. But does Magic Man gets your blood pumping enough to let the Wilson sisters get the double whammy?
Add Heart's Magic Man?
I watched a free documentary the other night about David Bowie. It shed a lot of light on someone who has always seemed mysterious and odd to me. Post-vid, I'm a much bigger fan than I was previously.
He's much warmer and more likeable than I imagined. And he went through more personally as well as career-wise than most people know: near bankruptcy after years of hits and touring, a constant fear of the mental illness that ran in his family, the suicide of his brother in a mental hospital, yet through it all Androgynous Man's constant dedication to pushing the envelope on his art was, and is, surely unparalleled among rock & rollers.
His old hit songs are great, he should at least have the opportunity to be on the list. I'm sure he'll be disappointed if we don't see fit to include him when he checks in every day, lol.
If you have a couple hours to spare anytime soon spend it watching this doc, I believe you'll be glad you did:
Add some David Bowie?
Add Don't Stop Believin'?
- Songs About Southern Pride
If you like The Allman Brothers, Skynyrd, The Band, Blackhawk and other southern rock groups, you'll love this!
When You've Had Enough Classic Rock... - Maybe try some C.C.?
If you're like me you love classic rock and listen to it regularly. But there are those moments when hearing the guitar solo on Free Bird for the 2000th time fails to generate every ounce of excitement it did the first 1,999! A little diversity is a good thing and don't worry, you'll come back to Rock & Roll Hoochie Koo with fresh ears, fully ready for another go-round.
So here I'm offering up for your listening pleasure some C.C. and no, I don't mean Credence Clearwater.
I'm talkin' Christian Contemporary. If you never listen to it you'll be shocked at just how good the best of it is. I doubt these songs will turn you Christian if you're not just from listening and they're great.
You like classic rock so maybe at least give "He Reigns" by The Newsboys a listen. Or maybe check out the Third Day video or perhaps some Sidewalk Prophets. No, I don't get paid for you clicking on any of this stuff.
What are you afraid of? A Christian lyric won't hurt you near as much as you fear, LOL.
- Contemporary Christian Songs To Energize Your Day
This is my collection of You Tube videos featuring various rock, pop, folk and blues Contemporary Christian songs. There's also a mod on whether or not Leonard Cohen's (remember "Suzanne Takes Me Down To A Place Near The River"????) Hallelujah, with
In this section you can make suggestions such as recommending that a certain song be rated higher than another or suggesting a song & artist to replace one already on the list.
Criteria? This is not about how much you like a certain artist or group, it's about the song and performance itself. Most important, when you happen to catch it on the radio, do you drive a little faster, lol? Does it get you excited?
If I think a suggestion is valid I'll put it on the poll question and if there are more "yes" votes than "no", the change is made, it's that simple! Hopefully we'll boil this down to the definitive, killer list.
Be sure to subscribe to the e-mail notifications available so you can stay updated. No, you're NOT too busy! Reduce your time on Fox and CNN and all that news crap, this is music we're talking about!