The X-Files: The Truth Is Out There
"It's a conspiracy wrapped in a plot inside a government agenda."
THE X-FILES ran from 1993-2002 and was a present-day show that followed FBI agents Fox Mulder and Dana Scully as they investigated paranormal cases and attempted to uncover a vast government conspiracy to hide definitive evidence of extraterrestrial life.
It blended elements of science-fiction, fantasy and horror along with a pacing and style that borrowed from both the world of movies and music video. In 1998, a full-length feature film was released, fitting neatly in between seasons five and six of the tv show. A second movie was released in 2008. It was a stand-alone story, and takes place in the present-day lives of the characters.
In the first season we are introduced to Special Agent Fox Mulder, whose career at the FBI has led him to the "X-Files" and a basement office with no windows. He likes to pursue cases that deal with the paranormal and extraterrestrial, especially the later, as he believes in a large conspiracy by the government to hide the existence of off-worldly aliens.
He's assigned a new partner, Special Agent Dana Scully, a doctor and forensic investigator at the top of her game. She's quite frankly being assigned to Mulder to debunk his claims and provide solid, scientific reasons for the strange things he has been reporting. She feels there is a scientific explanation for everything.
Meet the Basic Cast of Characters
There weren't clear cut forces of good and evil in the X-Files. It was more like those seeking the truth and those who worked to keep it obscured. And frequently it was revealed that not everyone was how they seemed. Here are some of the major characters of the X-Files universe.
- Special Agent Fox Mulder (David Duchovny) - our ultimate truth seeker, Mulder has made the X-Files the focus of his FBI career.
- Special Agent Dana Scully (Gillian Anderson) - she is a scientist, the "non-believer" assigned to Mulder as his partner to reign him in and debunk his theories.
- Assistant Director Walter Skinner (Mitch Pileggi) - Mulder and Scully's boss.
- Cigarette-Smoking Man (William B. Davis) - this mysterious government agent was so entrenched in conspiracy, he remained unnamed throughout the show, part of the shadowy group known as the Syndicate.
- Agent Alex Krycek (Nick Lea) - originally assigned to Mulder as a partner during a period where Agent Scully had disappeared, Krycek acted as if he was on Mulder's side, only to then reveal himself as one of those working to maintain the cover-up.
- The Lone Gunmen: John Fitzgerald Byers (Bruce Harwood), Melvin Frohike (Tom Braidwood) and Richard 'Ringo' Langly (Dean Haglund) - These men were conspiracy theorists and masters of underground trivia who occasionally did research and provided info for Mulder and Scully.
- X (Stephen Williams) - It was never clear which part of the government this man worked for, but he was providing Mulder with clues up until the character's death at the end of the first season.
- Deep Throat (Jerry Hardin) - this man replaced X as Mulder's source for inside information until this character's death at the end of season three.
- Alien Bounty Hunter (Brian Thompson) - this character mostly appeared as a large man in suit and coat, but was in fact an alien working with the Syndicate as an assassin.
- Special Agent John Doggett (Robert Patrick) - brought in after Agent Mulder disappears to be Scully's new partner and assigned the task of finding the missing agent.
Trust No One - websites & links
- Inside|The|X: The X-Files Transcripts Archive
Transcripts of every episode of The X-Files Broadcast
- SCIFI.COM | The X-Files
You have accessed the X-Files project. Please proceed directly to your orientation.
- The X-Files - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The X-Files is a popular American television series created by Chris Carter. The show first aired on FOX in 1993, and ended after a nine-year run on May 19, 2002. The X-Files was one of the network's first major hits, and its main characters and slog
- BBC - Cult - X Files - Homepage
The X Files is a division of the Federal Bureau of Investigation devoted to unsolved cases that appear to have some unexplained, paranormal element. The files take their name from the filing cabinet where they were kept - originally filed under U for
- The X-Files Episode Guide - The X-Files Season Episodes - TV.com
he X-Files Season Episode information, Episode guide, photos, videos, cast and crew information, forums, reviews and more.
- The X-Files Time Line - Main Time Line Index
The X-Files Timeline attempts to consolidate every date and chronological reference made in the X-Files. The Timeline is divided into sections, by date ranges. First-time visitors may wish to start at the beginning -- the "Prehistory to 1970" section
- The X-Files Quotes
Quotes from every episode of the X-Files. Exhaustively comprehensive.
- Red Wolf's X-Files Episode Guide
Collection of X-Files cast, quotes and summaries. Cast and crew have been cross-linked to all the episodes they have appeared in, as well as any other work listed in IMDb.
- --> The X-Files DVD Screen Grab Archive
High quality screen captures from DVD of all X-Files episodes
- The X-files Movie
The X-files Movie unofficial page.
FIGHT THE FUTURE - the first X-Files movie
An X-Files movie was released in the summer of 1998, and the story was crafted to fit in between the end of season five (which had just ended), and the beginning of season six (which started that fall).
This film played like an extended episode with no commercial breaks. The depth of the alien/Syndicate conspiracy is revealed, via guest star Martin Landau. The Well-Manicured Man meets his demise. Mysterious apiaries are explored and Mulder finally gets proof of aliens.
Guest Stars on THE X-FILES - An Incredible Who's Who
As the show gained in popularity, an incredible array of actors and actresses got to play minor characters in the show. Some were around for just one episode and some starred in minor story arcs.
- Brad Dourif - condemned killer Luther Lee Boggs in "Beyond The Sea"
- Steve Railsback - abductee Duane Barry in "Duane Barry" and "Ascension."
- Giovanni Ribisi - electrical conduit Darryl P. Osborne in "D.P.O." Also the owner of the video game parlor in this episode is played by Jack Black.
- Peter Boyle - insurance salesman/psychic Clyde Bruckman in "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose."
- Charles Nelson Reilly - tabloid writer/author Jose Chung in "Jose Chung's From Outer Space."
- Jodie Foster - she provided the voice for a Betty Page-type tattoo that talked in "Never Again."
- Luke Wilson - plays a small town sheriff in a town of vampires in "Bad Blood."
- Lily Tomlin and Ed Asner - they play a pair of ghosts in "How the Ghosts Stole Christmas."
- Garry Shandling and Tea Leoni - these two appear as Mulder and Scully in "Hollywood, A.D." Leoni is Duchovny's real-life wife.
- Lucy Lawless - she plays super soldier Shannon MacMahon in "Nothing Important Happened Today" and "Nothing Important Happened Today II."
- Burt Reynolds - he is credited as "Mr. Burt" in the episode "Improbable."
X-Philes - fansites and more
Fan sites and other websites related to the X-Files television show.
- Official X-Files Merchandise
Official X-Files Merchandise including t-shirts,hats,mousepads,mugs,photos,dvds,scripts and more!
- X-Files "Why did the chicken cross the road?"
The X-Files answer to the Eternal Question: Why did the chicken cross the road? as answered by nearly every character that ever appeared on the show.
- The X-Files - Jump The Shark
If and when the X-Files jumped the shark debated.
- Wired News: X-Files: Science Fact or Fiction?
But surely series creator Chris Carter was pushing the bounds of science, right? Frankly, that's the only way we've been able to sleep at night, believing it was all some science fiction nightmare.
- the Basement - The X-Files Slash Fanfiction Archive
X-Files Slash Fiction Archives
- X-Files Adventure
This is the first X-Files adventure you can play on the Internet. You play the part of FBI Special Agent Fox Mulder, trying to solve yet another 'spooky' case. The game is fully interactive with pictures and music.
- ROAD Runners X-Files
xfroadrunners.com is an X-Files fan site. It contains more than 2GB of images, video clips and information. This is not a site dedicated to the actors of the show, so you will not find a lot of information about the actors.
Who was your Special Agent? - give us your opinion
Who is your favorite Special Agent?
X-Files: I Want To Believe - the second X-files movie
July 25, 2008 saw the return of Mulder and Scully. She's working as a medical doctor at a Catholic children's hospital and he's been a bit of a recluse. But then an FBI agent disappears and the only lead is coming from a pedophile priest who happens to also be psychic. Definitely a case for Mulder and Scully!
- X-Files report from WonderCon
Mulder and Scully show up! Chris Carter and Frank Spotnitz, too! And they bring news and footage from X-Files 2!!
- 2008 Paley Festival coverage: 'The X-Files'
The Paley Festival session on the long-running hit series featured a dozen members of the cast and crew. The overall theme of the evening was that working "The X-Files" was very hard. In terms of news value, the panel was trapped in an "X-Files"-esqu
- INT: David Duchovny
David Duchovny is not an easy interview. That's not to say he's a difficult or quiet actor in a Tommy Lee Jones kind of way. But he is one of the smartest people I've ever interviewed.