Top 25 Tom Hanks Movies
The Best Movies Starring Tom Hanks
It's not easy to create a list of the best movies starring Tom Hanks, since there are so many movies that could be categorized as Tom Hanks finest, both from his own performance in them as well as for being great movies.
I have done my best to create a Top 25 Tom Hanks Movies List that features "in my opinion" his top 25 movies, out of the more than 65 movies and other productions that he has been involved with. I hope you agree with my selection of the best Tom Hanks movies, but whether you do or not, your feedback is always welcome.
He is also a highly talented producer of movies and television shows, which include The Pacific, John Adams, Mama Mia, Evan Almighty, The Polar Express, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, Band Of Brothers and From The Earth To The Moon.
In addition, Tom Hanks has directed the following classic productions: Band Of Brothers, From The Earth To The Moon, That Thing You Do, Vault Of Horror I, Fallen Angels, A League Of Their Own and Tales From The Cript.
(photo of Tom Hanks courtesy of Wikimedia Commons)
Due to the recent transfer to Hubpages from Squidoo, some of the content of this page does not display correctly, if at all. I am working to correct this and to enhance the content to create a splendiferous page about the top 25 Tom Hanks movies.
Click on the images below to buy the movies on DVD, Blu-ray or Instant Video from Amazon.com
#1: Forrest Gump
"Run Forrest Run"
Forrest Gump is one of those movies that I could watch over and over again. Tom Hanks always emerses himself into a role really well, but none quite as complete as he does in this terrific movie.
This is story of a mentally challenged man who finds that he is gifted in a number of ways and who has some amazing adventures as a result.
If you haven't seen the movie yet, you have probably seen parts of the trailer, with Forrest Gump telling the woman sitting next to him at the bus stop "Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get", or of him receiving a medal at the White House and embarrassing the President.
The only disappointment I had when I first saw the movie was that I had just read the book, and the movie barely covers half of Forrest's exploits. It does however cover the story brilliantly, and in my opinion this is Tom Hanks's finest movie role.
Forrest Gump Trailer
#2: Apollo 13
"Houston, We Have A Problem"
Apollo 13 was expertly directed by Ron Howard and is a dramatised documentary that covers the ill fated 3rd mission by NASA to land a man on the moon.
Tom Hanks plays mission commander Jim Lovell, with supporting actors Bill Paxton, Kevin Bacon and Gary Sinise.
When things go horribly wrong, crippling Apollo 13 on the way to the moon, the team at Mission Control in Houston have to find a way to bring the crew back safely.
Even though we all know what happened, and I have watched this movie many times, I still get edgy during the tenser moments, feeling everything with the crew during the mission.
Apollo 13 Trailer
Saving Private Ryan (Sapphire Series)CHECK PRICE
A League of Their Own (Special Edition)CHECK PRICE
#5: Sleepless In Seattle
"Well I'm not looking for a mail-order bride! I just want somebody I can have a decent conversation with over dinner."
Sleepless In Seattle is one of those great family movies where a kid steals the show. In this case it's Tom Hanks's son Jonah (played by Ross Malinger) who charms the pants off an audience listening to a radio talk show, where he talks about how he misses his recently deceased Mother, and how he would like to find another wife for his Dad.
Reporter Annie Reed from Baltimore (Meg Ryan) decides to investigate further, and the rest of the plot is a cute long-distance love story that is just adorable.
The cast also includes Tom's wife in real life Rita Wilson, Bill Pullman, David Hyde Pierce and Rosie O'Donnell. Click on the picture for a more detailed review and to purchase the DVD.
Image from Amazon.com
You've Got Mail (Deluxe Edition)CHECK PRICE
Big (Extended Edition)CHECK PRICE
The Zoltar Machine
Turner and Hooch (1989)CHECK PRICE
The Da Vinci Code (Two-Disc Extended Edition + BD Live)CHECK PRICE
Cast Away (Two-Disc Special Edition)CHECK PRICE
Philadelphia (Widescreen Two-Disc Special Edition)CHECK PRICE
That Thing You Do!: Tom Hank's Extended Cut (Two-Disc Special Edition)CHECK PRICE
The Terminal (Widescreen Edition)CHECK PRICE
The Green Mile (Two-Disc Special Edition)CHECK PRICE
Angels & Demons (Two-Disc Extended Edition)CHECK PRICE
Splash (20th Anniversary Edition)CHECK PRICE
The Ladykillers (Widescreen Edition)CHECK PRICE
Charlie Wilson's War (Widescreen Edition)CHECK PRICE
Catch Me If You Can (Widescreen Two-Disc Special Edition)CHECK PRICE
The Money PitCHECK PRICE
The Man with One Red ShoeCHECK PRICE
Road to Perdition (Widescreen Edition)CHECK PRICE
The 'BurbsCHECK PRICE
Joe Versus The VolcanoCHECK PRICE
Do You Live In The UK?
Click on the banner to buy these items in the UK.
I don't know a single person that doesn't love Tom Hanks in at least one movie, in fact many people that I know love just about any movie that Tom Hanks has acted in, as well as anything that he has had a hand in producing.
But just how well do you know your Tom Hanks movies?
Care to try your hand at my Tom Hanks movie quiz?
How Well Do You Know Your Tom Hanks Movies?view quiz statistics
Tom Hanks Movie Quiz: How Did You Do?
How Well Do You Know Your Tom Hanks Movies?
More Movie Quizzes
If you enjoyed this quiz, you are sure to enjoy this collection of
Can you identify the movies from the rhyming clues?
What Is Tom Hanks Greatest Acting Role? - I Think Tom Hanks Best Role Is As Forrest Gump
I think we can all agree that Tom Hanks is a great actor, but what would you say is his greatest acting role out of all his classic movies?
This is not necessarily his best movie, but the movie in which you think his performance is the best. Is it Forrest Gump, or maybe the AIDS related movie Philadelphia? Maybe you like his role in Saving Private Ryan, or Cast Away. Maybe like me you loved his role as Josh Baskin in the movie "Big", or maybe another role.
Go ahead and have your say...
What is Tom Hanks greatest acting role?
Tom Hanks Awards
Tom Hanks has won 2 Oscars for "Best Actor In A Leading Role" for Forrest Gump and Philadelphia and has been nominated a further 3 times for Academy Awards.
Other awards that Tom Hanks has won include:
- 1988 Los Angeles Film Critics Association Awards - Best Actor - Big and Punchline
- 1989 American Comedy Award - Funniest Actor In A Motion Picture (Leading Role) - Big
- 1990 Saturn Award - Best Actor - Big
- 1989 Golden Globe - Best Performance By An Actor In A Motion Picture Drama - Big
- 1993 American Comedy Award - Funniest Supporting Actor In A Motion Picture - A League Of Their Own
- 1994 Silver Berlin Bear - Best Actor - Philadelphia
- 1994 Golden Globe - Best Performance By An Actor In A Motion Picture Drama - Philadelphia
- 1994 MYV Movie Award - Best Male Performance - Philadelphia
- 1994 National Board Of Review - Best Actor - Forrest Gump
- 1995 American Comedy Award - Funniest Actor In A Motion Picture (Leading Role) - Forrest Gump
- 1995 Chicago Film Critics Association Award - Best Actor - Forrest Gump
- 1995 Golden Globe - Best Performance By An Actor In A Motion Picture Drama - Forrest Gump
- 1995 Hasty Pudding Theatricals - Man Of The Year
- 1995 Kansas City Film Critics Circle Awards - Best Actor - Forrest Gump
- 1995 People's Choice Awards - Favorite Dramatic Motion Picture Actor
- 1995 Screen Actors Guild Awards - Outstanding Performance By A Male Actor In A Leading Role - Forrest Gump
- 1995 ShoWest Convention - Male Star Of The Year
- 1995 Southeast Film Critics Association Awards - Best Actor - Forrest Gump
- 1996 People's Choice Awards - Favorite Motion Picture Actor
- 1996 People's Choice Awards - Favorite Actor In A Dramatic Motion Picture
- 1996 Screen Actors Guild Awards - Outstanding Performance By A Cast - Apollo 13
- 1998 Columbus International Film Festival - President's Award - From The Earth To The Moon
- 1998 Emmy Awards - Outstanding Miniseries - From The Earth To The Moon
- 1998 Golden Apple Awards - Male Star Of The Year
- 1999 Empire Award - Best Actor - Saving Private Ryan
- 1999 Blockbuster Entertainment Award - Favorite Actor Drama - Saving Private Ryan
- 1999 Online Film Critics Society Awards - Best Ensemble Cast Performance - Saving Private Ryan
- 1999 PGA Awards - Television Producer Of The Year - From The Earth To The Moon
- 1999 People's Choice Awards - Favorite Motion Picture Actor
- 1999 ShoWest Convention - Box Office Star Of The Decade
- 2000 Blockbuster Entertainment Award - Favorite Actor Drama - The Green Mile
- 2000 New York City Film Critics Circle Awards - Best Actor - Cast Away
- 2001 Chicago Film Critics Association Award - Best Actor - Cast Away
- 2001 Golden Globe - Best Performance By An Actor In A Motion Picture Drama - Cast Away
- 2001 Online Film Critics Society Awards - Best Actor - Cast Away
- 2001 Teen Choice Awards - Film Choice Chemistry - Cast Away
- 2002 Christopher Award - Band Of Brothers
- 2002 American Film Institute - Life Achievement Award
- 2002 Emmy Awards - Outstanding Directing For A Miniseries - Band Of Brothers
- 2002 Emmy Awards - Outstanding Miniseries - Band Of Brothers
- 2002 Hollywood Film Festival - Actor Of the Year
- 2002 PGA Awards - Television Producer Of The Year - Band Of Brothers
- 2002 People's Choice Awards - Favorite Motion Picture Actor
- 2002 People's Choice Awards - Favorite Motion Picture Star In A Drama
- 2004 BAFTA Awards - Britannia Award - Excellence In Film
- 2004 Bambi Awards - Film International
- 2004 People's Choice Awards - Favorite All Time Entertainer
- 2007 TV Land - Little Screen/Big Screen Star (Men)
- 2008 Emmy Awards - Outstanding Miniseries - John Adams
- 2009 Film Society Of Lincoln Center - Gala Tribute
- 2009 PGA Awards - Television Producer Of The Year - John Adams
Cast AwayCHECK PRICE
Extremely Loud And Incredibly CloseCHECK PRICE
A League of Their OwnCHECK PRICE
Larry CrowneCHECK PRICE
Forrest GumpCHECK PRICE
The Da Vinci CodeCHECK PRICE
Road To PerditionCHECK PRICE
Saving Private RyanCHECK PRICE
The Green MileCHECK PRICE
Angels & DemonsCHECK PRICE
You've Got MailCHECK PRICE
Catch Me If You CanCHECK PRICE
Apollo 13CHECK PRICE
The Polar ExpressCHECK PRICE
Nothing In CommonCHECK PRICE
Bonfire Of The VanitiesCHECK PRICE
The Great Buck HowardCHECK PRICE
Band Of BrothersCHECK PRICE
The PacificCHECK PRICE
From The Earth To The MoonCHECK PRICE
About The Author
Tony is a freelance writer who lives on the South Coast of England with his wife Debbie.
He has worked in the IT Industry all his life, and has been writing on various sites for the last 10 years.
Tony has traveled extensively, both for business and leisure, and has lived in New Zealand and the USA as well as his native England.
He enjoys writing about many different topics, often writing about something that grabs him impulsively at the time.
Ancient History and Humor are just two diverse topics that he has a passion for, and he also likes to write about his travel experiences and to share his love of photography.
Tony would love to write a book one day, but so far the closest that he has come to finding a topic is an autobiography. He is not confident that there is a large enough audience for a 12 volume book entitled "I Only Wanted A Simple Life".