- Entertainment and Media»
- Cartoons & Animation
Top Favourite Anime Blood Suckers!
Say hello to our fang-toothed friends!
Don't you just hate mosquitoes? They are annoying with their constant buzzing in our ears and they are very swift and hard-to-kill monsters. They get bloated on our blood which practically makes us delicious, gigantic, walking feasts. And they leave unsightly marks that sometimes take ages to disappear! Not to mention said marks itch like crazy.
But if these mosquitoes come in ethereally beautiful forms that is the epitome of grace and power, I'm sure no one would refuse to bare their necks! For many of us, we are inexplicably drawn to these creatures of the night because we are intrigued by the fact that they once used to be human, or at least look to be the most human of all supernatural beings. We are also fascinated by their immortality, not forgetting that they are one of the most romanticized and overly sexualised creatures in the history of creatures. After all, that whole biting thing they've got going on... how kinky. In this lens, I'll showcase the list of vampires in anime that have caught my attention. And it's not easy to catch my attention, I'll tell you that.
Vampires: Love or Hate?
Do you like vampires?
In the world of the Vampire Knight series, Kuran Kaname is a Pureblood vampire and also the Head of the notable Kuran family, one of the seven remaining Pureblood families. From the get go, it is obvious that this vampire falls under the bishounen category. With his flawlessly smooth and pale complexion, those gleaming garnet eyes, that sturdy yet lithe build, Kaname is indeed one gorgeous specimen of a vampire. Coupled with his youthful looks, it is impossible to tell that he is estimated to be over 10,000 years old. He appears to be rather prim and proper too - this guy is no slouch, always standing tall and straight-backed, and the school uniform he is usually seen in is always buttoned all the way to the top.
Personality-wise, he is generally calm and stoic with a soft but firm voice. In my opinion, he doesn't need to speak out loud because his mere presence is enough to silence most people, either in awe, fear or just pure wariness. He is a Pureblood, the top of the food chain. Basically, without saying a word, he can simply walk into any room and own it. However, unlike your typical charismatic behaviour that can turn on the charm with words, Kaname's charisma lies a bit more on the mysterious side.
Noble vampires bowing before Kaname
Kaname is an authoritative figure, which is a given considering his age and history. Not only is he one of the founders of the vampire race, he is also the Dorm President of the Night Class, a group of vampires in the Cross Academy which is a school that is trying to cultivate a peaceful co-existence between humans and vampires. He is known to be level-headed, and while he can control lower level vampires easily, he chooses not to, and in effect, has earned him respect among the noble vampires.
Though he looks to be genial most of the time, he is a strict disciplinarian when it comes to rules and will not hesitate to exact the appropriate punishment should any of the vampires in the Night Class disobey the rules, for example, giving in to their blood lust and attacking a member of the Day Class (the humans). Or if someone does something that he finds unacceptable.
Kaname slaps Hanabusa Aido for a comment that was out of line.
Aido's typical reaction when he thinks he has done something wrong.
The only time we get to see another side of Kaname, the gentle and indulgent side that is, is when he is dealing with Yuki, the female lead of the series.
Kaname with Yuki in his arms
And just because I can, I'll leave you with this.
This is just too freaking kawaii to not show you!
Kuran Kaname's Abilities
- Regeneration: The ability to heal and regenerate at impossible speeds excluding wounds to the head or heart made by anti-vampire weapons
- Power absorption: Able to gain the powers of other vampires by drinking their blood
- Telekinesis: Moving things with the power of the mind. Mind power, baby, yeah.
- Pureblood Control: Able to control multiple vampires at any one time by bending them to his will
- Erase memories
- Able to create a familiar in a form of his own choosing such as a bat and a wolf. His familiars are also strong enough to physically carry another person and wield his telekinesis power.
Alucard - Hellsing Ultimate
I can't even begin to describe just how badass this vampire is. Like, whoa. His presence on screen instantly hits you like a whiplash. With that sinfully low voice, a ripple of his long red trench coat, the glint of those wicked, orange-tinted lenses, and the slight dip of his fedora hat, Alucard positively oozes a dark and ominous aura. But that fanged hint of a smirk gracing his undead lips is what does it for me. Sexy. He looks like he's enjoying himself, even in the midst of carnage.
Especially in the midst of carnage...
See what I mean?
This makes him seem cocky, arrogant and egotistical, and to be honest, he is all that. The words and even the tone that he uses can be considered condescending, as if any and all are beneath him. For someone so high up the food chain and literally being the most powerful vampire, no, the most powerful supernatural creature in the Hellsing series, it's not a surprise that he can be that way. In fact, one can almost expect it. Then again, many vampiric personas do incorporate that holier-than-thou attitude. They are way superior than your Tom, Dick, and Harry, and they know it. In Alucard's case, he flaunts it.
His fighting style is a reflection of his conceit. He doesn't even bother to evade attacks made towards him, allowing his foe to literally take out chunks of vampiric flesh while he taunts them.
Even when he's skewered, he looks like he's having a ball!
When he counterattacks, he is all brutal force and seemingly cruel, especially when he takes to 'playing with his prey', attacking them again and again but not landing the killing blow just because he can. That's why I say he looks like he's enjoying himself even in the middle of a bloodbath. He doesn't care about breaking rules because he doesn't answer to anyone, with the exception of his human master, Sir Integra Fairbrook Wingates Hellsing (quite a mouthful, if you ask me). She is the only one that Alucard will obey, the leader of the Hellsing Organisation, an organisation that seeks to exterminate any supernatural threats to the country.
But for all his "I'm better than you" air, deep down he is actually quite envious of humans, mainly due to them being able to grow old and die while he considers his immortality to be a curse. He finds beauty in the way humans have the will and tenacity to live despite facing down death in a very mortal manner. In truth, he regrets his past choices that made him the creature he is now. He even grew infuriated with a rival/foe in one episode to the point of bursting simply because said enemy would rather discard what little he has left that makes him human all for the sake of defeating Alucard. Personally, I find that this particular turmoil he faces within himself makes this vamp even more interesting. At the end of the day, even when he is completely one hundred percent non-human, he still manages to retain his humanity.
- Advanced Regeneration: Like all vampires, Alucard, too, possesses the ability to regenerate from grievous injuries. But it is said that his is much greater from any other vampires. He is able to regenerate from a pool of blood to being decapitated, blown to chunks by gunfire, be completely burned, etc. Even damages sustained by holy weapons doesn't do long term harm to him.
- Supernatural Accuracy: While looking completely the other way, Alucard is known to be able to hit his targets at a great range with his gun.
- Superhuman Strength: Pretty much self-explanatory. What are vampires without superhuman strength?
- Supernatural Speed: Again, self-explanatory. One millisecond, he's there, and the next, he's gone. He can even teleport. That being said, his reflexes are highly advanced that he can easily catch a flying bullet with his teeth.
- Intangibility: Alucard is able to pass through solid objects.
- Gravity Defiance: For an uncertain time limit, Alucard can defy gravity and has been seen leaping over impossible distances and walk up vertical surfaces.
- Shadow Manipulation: The ability to manipulate shadows into physical forms and use it however he likes.
- Shape-shifting: Alucard is able to transform himself, or parts of his body, into bats, snakes, insects, hellhounds, a glob of darkness, and many more. He is noted to have 4 human forms and one of them is a girl of which fans dubbed it 'Girlycard'. Alucard has stated that none of those forms mean anything to him and he chooses them out of whim.
- Familiars: He can summon familiars, the souls whose blood he has sucked or animals like horses, and they can either sprout from his body or crowd around him as an army numbering in the millions. These familiars are either in the form of ghouls or can take on the original form of when it was alive with their personalities and powers intact.
Abel Nightroad / Crusnik 02
Clumsy and foolish, a bit of a scatterbrain and seemingly incompetent at his job, that's what my first impression of Catholic priest Abel Nightroad was. He wears a pair of round eyeglasses and his typical expression is kind and gentle. In his black priest robe adorned with embroidered crosses, you would never have taken him as a vampire, and not just any vampire, but one of the most powerful ones out there. A Crusnik, a vampire who feeds on the blood of other vampires.
When Abel transforms into his vampiric form codename Crusnik 02,
that's when the party starts.
Those glowing red eyes just screams evil. Despite it being rather cliché and overdone, red eyes that glow are still wickedly awesome in my opinion and Crusnik 02 wears the look superbly well. I'd also like to draw your attention to how his features have taken on a more defined and angular contour. The pointy ears, sharp chin, thinly arched brows - even his fangs are more prominent; all of these elements, while they lend him a slightly feminine outline, just gives Abel's vampiric form that extra dose of fierceness - not to mention how it heightens his sexiness - casting him in a more dastardly villain-esque light.
Seriously, how can those eyes not give you goosebumps?
You would think that possessing such an outstanding appearance, Abel doesn't need anything else to boost his ego. But that's where you're wrong, dear readers. I think that his most notable feature would be his hair (when in vampire mode of course). I mean, have you seen it?! That long, silvery fine hair of his left me speechless. That hair that is gravity-defying, upward-curling, resembling-a-tornado effect? Just incredible.
That hair is a force to be reckoned with!
For some reason, I was unable to find a screencap from the actual anime itself that fully displays the whole heap of Crusnik 02's hair in a single frame. The above picture is the best that I could find. I thank you for your understanding.
So what do you think of the hair?
While Abel plays the role of a bumbling priest in permanent starvation mode well (he's always hungry!), you know that it's all an act considering how, when in times of crisis, he displays himself as the most level-headed, calm and poised and not in the least bit panicked. I think the clown act he puts on is more to lighten the mood around him and give the anime a sense of balance with all the seriousness going on. Then again, it could be that the creator just wanted to showcase an obvious distinction between Abel's human and vampire persona.
Due to a great tragedy in his past, he has cultivated a pacifist nature and tries to avoid violence unless it becomes unavoidable. Even when he does kill, he has justice at the core of his deeds. When in his vampiric glory, he becomes severely serious. Somber, even. But with an increase in his power (the percentage of Crusnik nanomachines he activates in his body), he gradually grows more and more detached from his surroundings. And I suppose this need not be said, but the more power he wields, the more destructive he becomes.
Don't get me wrong!
Despite my emphasis on Abel having a human and a vampire persona, I don't mean that he has two different sets of personalities. Just like how you would show different sides of yourself to your boss and to your friends, this is a similar case. In truth, he only transforms if it's the last resort and he tries not to, if only to not scare his love interest in the anime with his true form.
Abel Nightroad's (Crusnik 02) Abilities
- Rapid Healing: With the Crusnik nanomachines activated in his body, Abel can heal damages at an impressive rate. Do note that the more well-fed he is on Methuselah (vampire) blood, the faster he heals.
- Superhuman Strength/Speed/Reflexes: Depending on the percentage of Crusnik nanomachines that is being activated, Abel's strength, speed and reflexes will drastically increase. Rate of acceleration will also increase to make it seem as though he could teleport.
- Telepathy: Able to communicate via mind from Crusnik to Methuselah
- Blood Absorption: When he feeds on the Methuselah, Abel doesn't necessarily feed with his mouth. He can literally absorb blood through his skin and clothes and with every drop he takes in, he grows stronger.
- Black Wings: At 80% output, black wings sprout from Abel's back. The wings are capable of flight, can act as a shield that are strong enough to repel laser canon fire, and are sharp enough to slice limbs off.
- Electricity: When Abel activates 80% of his power, he can produce bio-electric currents that he can wield to his advantage. This particular ability makes him that much more destructive.
- Mind Control: In one episode, Abel demonstrates his ability to control a Methuselah's action by forcing him to rip out his own heart.
Crusnik 02 at 80% Output
Abel Wielding Electricity!
Crusnik 02 at 100%
When Abel is at full power, he turns a dusky shade of black overall, very demon-like with dark skin and blue markings on his body, as well as the bat-like wings. Not too sure why the creators decided on that appearance though but he still kicks ass!
Vampire Hunter D
To be fair, D is not a full-breed vampire but is actually what is called a dhampir - a half vampire, half human creature. As such, he makes the perfect vampire hunter for he possesses a Nobility's superior strengths and abilities but few of the weaknesses that comes with being a full vampire.
Set in a post-apocalyptic wasteland, D wanders around on his cybernetic horse in his wide-brimmed hat and all-black leather ensemble complete with a cool, long cape. Who doesn't love capes?
How can you not find this cool?
A Cape Affair!
Speaking of capes, what are your thoughts on them?
With his vampiric lineage, his looks are definitely way above average made obvious by his finely sculpted face. He has thin lips that he wears in a tight line, cold eyes that I would consider to be in a category of bedroom eyes because his lids are usually at half mast, and long inky black hair that looks brown in certain lighting cascading down in luxurious waves. His milk-white skin is flawless and those delicate tips to his ears is a nice touch. He is said to be so gorgeous that even some men get flustered over him.
D is a solitary being though I suspect that it's partly due to his mixed breed status. The vampires despise him for his human blood and the humans fear him for his vampiric nature. As such, he belongs to neither species and has taken to meandering about the plains in a seemingly aimless fashion. Call him emotionless because D has never had a smile gracing his features. Even his tone of voice tend to be flat and monotonous. But beneath his icy facade, my opinion is that he does feel for humans in the way he defends them against the vampires. But that doesn't mean he wholly discriminates against vampires. He does have a sense of righteousness when he deals with them.
There is speculation that D's father is the King of Vampires himself. There might be some truths to it because not only is he far superior than your average dhampir, he seems to be more powerful than a lot of the Nobility (higher ranking vampires). In battle, he is like a rock, calm and steady and almost impossible to ruffle his feathers. While he does have powerful magical abilities, he prefers to use physical attacks instead, only resorting to magic when in great need.
Left Hand in action!
D has a sentient symbiotic left hand with the face of an old man who likes to taunt and needle his apathetic host. Left Hand, or so it's called, is a powerful being, able to suck up huge amounts of matter like a vacuum. Kazaana, anyone?
- Advanced Regeneration: The ability to heal at superhuman rate, far greater than other dhampirs.
- Superhuman Strength/Speed/Agility: The basics to any vampire and in D's case, a Dhampir.
- Godlike Reflexes: His super keen senses gives birth to superhuman reflexes that is said to surpass even the Nobles.
- Affinity to Magic: D has the ability to cast powerful levels of magic that has been seen in the movies. But as much as possible, he sticks to using physical attacks instead.
- Left Hand: The sentient symbiote residing in D's left hand is a force all on its own. Not only can Left Hand suck in huge amounts of matter, it also possesses many other powers such as psychometry that is even more sensitive than D's own keen senses, inducing sleep, analysing a victim's medical condition, and is able to determine the supernatural powers of a foe. In the novels, when D's physical condition is afflicted, Left Hand can revive his host by consuming the four elements and converting the energies into life force.
Let's begin the Vamphunt!
Err. The equivalent of Manhunt.
Mr Photogenic - Vote for the most good looking vamp!Click thumbnail to view full-size
The Most Good Looking Vamp!
In your humble opinion, who most deserves the title of Mr Photogenic?
Mr All Powerful
In a cage match, who do you think will be the undefeated champion?
Most Badass Accessory - What would our models be without their accessories to spice up their outlook?Click thumbnail to view full-size
If you're wondering why I did not feature Kuran Kaname's weapon, it's because he doesn't wield one in the anime. Although according to my sources, he does possess a sword in the manga. Besides, he has no need for a weapon in the first place!