- Entertainment and Media
More Than Meets the Eye...
Her world-wide notoriety began when John Galliano and Jean Paul Gaultier used her bodacious curves to round out their runway spring collections in 2006.
The forty-year-old going on twenty-five was born and raised in the United States but has lived in Paris, France since 1996. Besides modeling this multi-talented woman is also a photographer, dancer, actress, fat activist and god parent.
Playing devil's advocate, I asked Velvet if she considers herself healthy. She replied, "While I have often answered this question, I am admittedly perturbed by it. By virtue of being plus size I am thusly expected to tout my health, yet my smaller counterparts, be it in contemporary dance, or film, or in fashion, are never asked the state of their health. I do not drink alcohol and I never have, I do not take drugs and I never have, I do not smoke and I never have, yet many of these same counterparts do one, or a combination of all of the above, and yet merely by virtue of weighing less then I, are completely excluded from this patronizing question."
Velvet's Fat Stats
Curves with attitude...
10 Things You Might Not Know - About Velvet (I asked, she answered)
- One of my favorite writers is Rainer Maria Rilke.
- I adore thatched roof cottages and tree houses.
- I am the youngest of five, and of Irish/Polish/Czech decent.
- Every year I make each of my 3 precious godsons a dinner plate. Once they turn 18, I will throw each one a dinner party, inviting their 17 best pals!
- I was on the board and volunteered for a decade for an AIDS/HIV charity in Paris, before our funding got pulled.
- I competed in shot-put and discus in high school track, and swam competitively for 6 years of my adolescence. Everyone on the Varsity team was angry with me when I quit senior year. Not me!
- I got one of my sisters, , for Christmas, but I wish I got one for me. I'm not big on board games but I love conversation/question games, Gemini that I am! Tabletalk Conversation Cards
- Back in the late 80's, I worked as a photographer at the Copacabana Nightclub in NYC during college.
- I lived in Florence, Italy for a year and that is where I met genius photographer James White, who greatly encouraged my passion for the art.
- I love Korean food, especially Bul-gogi, Gal-bi, and Jap-chae. As soon as I hit Manhattan I pop by Woo Chon after a long shop at the flagship Rainbow store.
Citation: image courtesy of Velvet d'Amour.
What Do You Think of Velvet d'Amour?
Always Everytime - by Velvet d'Amour
This video was made by Velvet with the help of musician Phil Broikos. I absolutely love it. Pay special attention to the words as you watch.
Velvet Behind the Camera - "My focus is to diversify notions of modern beauty." ~ Velvet
Check out Velvet's eight page fashion editorial of Chloe Marshall in Evans (UK) clothing for Plus Model Magazine.
Here are a few more samples of Velvet's work behind the camera.
- Nos Dames De Paris, Velvet D'Amour, Standard#19 - Apr. 2008 — Olivier MULIN
This is an eight page shoot Velvet did for Standard magazine.
- Velvet D'Amour Gets Close and Personal With PLUS Editor
PLUS Model Magazine has been on the virtual airwaves for over three years and I've been fortunate to get to know Madeline Jones, Editor for PLUS Model Magazine...
- Vol. Up. 2
An online quarterly magazine showcasing diverse beauty, with an emphasis on curvy women, and exploring the generosity of Mind, Body and Spirit. Brought to you by supermodel Velvet d'Amour.
A starlet in the making...
In 2006, Velvet d'Amour appeared in her first feature length black and white French film titled Avida.
It is a dark comedy about the kidnapping of a fat woman (named Avida) billionaire's dog by three thugs but she turns the situation around in her favor.
Avida was written and directed by Benoit Delepine and Gustave Kervern. Read a great review of it by New York Cool when they attended the Tribeca Film Festival.
Great news! Avida is now available in North America. It can be ordered for download (or rent) from Amazon for $8.99 ($1.99).
Look who's judging...
Mo'nique's hit reality show Fat Chance, the first television beauty pageant for plus size women, hosted a Paris edition and Velvet was one of the judges.
Fat is an Issue - What kind depends on you...
Here are three great books with fat at their core. They are sure to pique your interest and encourage lively discussion.
He boldly states that a cultural phenomenon-society's hysterical fear of body fat-is the real health hazard, not the over-consumption of food. Through a series of anecdotes, readers are told that the media is responsible for crushing healthy body images (particularly women's); how the dieting industry perpetuates the myth of obesity for its own gain; and how yo-yo dieting cycles have destroyed more lives than obesity ever will.
Velvet's Yahoo Group
In 2009 Velvet made the decision to close her Yahoo Group, Velvet Vixon where she routinely sent messages about her life and projects. She had over 11,000 fans and the group was loaded with photos of her.
While the group is gone, the Velvet Vixen's photo storage still exists at FlickR if you want to take a look at this voluptuous goddess.
Velvet participated in the third season of France's Celebrity Farm, a reality television show that puts "pseudo-celebrities to work on a farm". She got to go to a nature reserve in South Africa. Of the ten weeks she hung in to round nine!
Here is a fan blog dedicated to the experience (warning, there are pop-up ads) -- in French. The official website for the show is no longer online.
Share your stories, sightings, thoughts, rants, raves...