- Family and Parenting
10 Things to do with your Children for Thanksgiving
Ten things you can do with your children for Thanksgiving:
1. Read Thanksgiving poems: Find a poem online or go to your library and find books on Poems. Here is a poem I found online. http://www.dltk-holidays.com/thanksgiving/m-thanksgiving.htm Then ask the child to make up their own Thanksgiving poem.
2. Make a turkey out of Magazines. This is a fun project and it can be used to recycle old magazines. Here is the URL to the printable http://www.teachervision.fen.com/tv/printables/tv00021s1.pdf
3. Have your child write about all the things they are thankful for. Give them some examples like "I am thankful for my mother because she helps me make fun activities" Then let them write their own. If they are too young to write just ask them to tell you. No matter what they say always praise them.
4. Tell them the story about the First Thanks giving and why we celebrate Thanksgiving. Here is a printable about it: <A href=http://www.teachervision.fen.com/tv/printables/TCR/1576904679_180-183.pdf> </a>
5. Play board games. When was the last time you played a board game?? You can find some really inexpensive ones at Goodwill or thrift stores. Play monopoly or chess or checkers. They are still fun.
6. Share a memory of past Thanksgivings. Tell your children of what it was like when you were their age. Then let them share their memories.
7. Start a journal of Thanksgivings. Write the date and then tell things that happened that year. Put it away till the next Thanksgivings. By the time you children are grown there will be some great stories to remember.
8. Have the children plan a dinner. They can make something to add to the Thanksgiving Day dinner. Even little ones can make something.
9. Find some fun Thanksgiving jokes to tell. Have everyone tell one joke they found and thought was funny. Then continue till everyone runs out of jokes. You can find jokes online or at your local library.
10. Make a pilgrim or a Native American hat to wear. You and your child can decide if they want to be a pilgrim or a Native American. Make different scenes and act out all the ways you think they would have been.