- Family and Parenting»
- Parenting Skills, Styles & Advice
How to Handle Over Dependence of Children on Technology in Today's World!
“It was one thing to use computers as a tool, quite another to let them do your thinking for you.”
― Tom Clancy, The Hunt for Red October
Real activities vs Virtual activities
© Chitrangada Sharan Nov. 2012
All Rights Reserved.
Over dependence on technology:
- Some two decades earlier, children playing in the playgrounds or parks was a common sight.
- But now most of the children all over the world are hooked to their electronic gadgets---whether it's their laptop or smartphone.
- They love playing games, on their electronic gadgets rather than on the playgrounds.
- It would not be wrong to say that, they are their real life partners.
- Today's children, have almost the entire world at their fingertips.
- While computers or other electronic gadgets increase the knowledge, keeps people connected to the whole length and breath of the Globe, some disadvantages cannot be overlooked.
Adverse Effects On Health :
Health experts all over the world are cautioning and expressing their concern about the adverse effects of this particular problem among youngsters and children.
1. Spending too much time with electronic gadgets leads to an acute reduction of physical activity and that is why obesity is common in children of today.
2. When a child or a young boy or girl makes the 'Virtual' world his obsession---in other words if they make these devices their best friends, with whom they love to spend time with, they find it difficult to face the complexities of the 'Real' world.
3. These youngsters find it difficult to cope up with reality and it might result in psychological problems, such as loneliness, depression or stress.
4. They might even find it difficult to mix with real people or relatives.
5. An important aspect is that over dependence on technology can affect the learning abilities and concentration of the children.
Children dependent on calculators for simple mathematical calculations has become common.
Gone are the days, of complex mental calculations.
6. Addiction to gadgets can even interfere with day today routine, such as sleep disorder, eating schedule etc.
7. A sudden stop to electronic devices addiction can lead to serious withdrawal symptoms, just as it happens in any kind of addiction.
Technology is just a tool. In terms of getting the kids working together and motivating them, the teacher is the most important.
5 Tips To Deal With Children Who Are Overly dependent On Technology:
1. Both parents and teachers should try to explain the dangers of over dependence on technology to the children and youngsters.
2. Schools should have guidelines for the on line conduct and explain the students about the appropriate use of the electronic gadgets.
3. Encourage the children to have physical activities, such as outdoor games in the morning and evening.Learn and play sport like basketball, football, lawn tennis, swimming etc.
4. Encourage the children to join some hobby classes such as music or musical instruments, dance, cooking, art or, craft etc.
5. Engage them in community activities--stage shows, extra curricular activities.
To Sum up:
The real test of academics is in real life, where one has to provide practical situations.
One has to apply the knowledge gained from academics.
The child should not merely reproduce the knowledge, he has learnt theoretically.
It is important to apply, analyse, and ask for reasoning.
Therefore, it is important to develop inter personal skills and to be able to adjust at workplace, where teamwork is very essential.
Technology is a friend and a guide. One should not become it's slave.
© Chitrangada Sharan 22nd Nov. 2012
All Rights Reserved.
PROTECTED: PLEASE DO NOT COPY!
How much time does your child spend on his online activities?
Over dependence of children on technology, source: You tube
Other related hubs by Chitrangada Sharan
- Loneliness Among Kids: Are You Too Busy To Notice Yo...
Busy parents and lonely children is the reality of today's society.But it is a necessity for both the parents to earn, to manage a decent living. How to find a balance so kids are also given attention.
- Motivation: Important For Success Of Children~~ Role...
Who doesn't need a little motivation! Parents and teachers of young kids have a great role in tracing the path for a child's success in academics etc., by providing them the much needed 'Motivation'.
- Concentration Versus Distraction: Can Your Child Con...
Concentration is a skill, that enables us to focus on a particular thought, while eliminating every other thing from our conscious mind. Children must be trained to concentrate for effective learning.
- How To Deal With Low Self Esteem In Kids And Improve...
How to help fight low self esteem, especially among children. Parents and teachers have special roles to achieve this. Counselling, sports, exercise and socializing are some of the ways to improve it.
- How To Study and Be A Good Student--
A student with moderate ability, who uses his talents in a methodical way to STUDY , will achieve more success than a person with greater ability but who is unmethodical. HOW! Read on rules to follow-
- How To Manage Your Time: Time Management Techniques
All of us have only 24 hours in a day to complete our work. How to manage time effectively? Time cannot be managed. What you can manage is the usage of time efficiently by following some techniques.
- How To Deal With Your Child, Having Examination Stre...
Have you heard of 'examination blues'? Proper planning,methodical study can help deal with such stress like situations. Parents should be realistic and avoid over expectation and be good counselors.
© 2012 Chitrangada Sharan