5 Tips: How To Handle Overdependence of the Children on Technology, in Today's World?
“It was one thing to use computers as a tool, quite another to let them do your thinking for you.”
― Tom Clancy, The Hunt for Red October
How would you react, if you have to live without your smartphone or computer for a week?
One of my friends, had gone for an outing, with her family. It was a remote area, quite far from the main city. Though, the family enjoyed the trip and the family time, they had no access to the Internet, over there.
While the elders were feeling somewhat uncomfortable, since they were not able to contact friends and family. But, it was the behaviour of her young children, which filled her with anxiety. They were feeling depressed and withdrawn. The reason being that they were not able to play their favourite computer games, watch the videos, or log on to their favourite social media websites.
While it’s impossible to disassociate ourselves from the technology, in the modern times, but we should also realise about the disadvantages, of our over dependence on technology.
This is definitely unhealthy, both physically and mentally, especially for the young children. It’s not difficult to understand, the signs of this excessive dependence on the technology and the gadgets, of the children.
Real activities vs Virtual activities
Over dependence on technology:
Some two decades earlier, the children playing in the playgrounds or parks was a common sight.
But now, most of the children, all over the world, are hooked to their electronic gadgets---whether it's their laptop or computer or their smartphone.
They love playing games, on their electronic gadgets, rather than on the playgrounds.
It would not be wrong to say that, they are their real life partners.
Today's children, have almost the entire world, at their fingertips.
While the computers or other electronic gadgets, do increase the knowledge and keep people connected to the whole length and breath of the Globe, some of their disadvantages cannot be overlooked.
Adverse effects on the general Health:
The Health experts all over the world, are cautioning and expressing their concerns, about the adverse effects of this particular problem, mostly among the youngsters and the children, in particular.
1. Spending too much time with the electronic gadgets, leads to an acute reduction of the physical activity, and that is why obesity is common in the children of today.
2. When a child or a young boy or girl makes the 'Virtual' world his obsession; in other words, if they make these devices, their best friends, with whom they love to spend time with, they find it difficult to face, the complexities of the 'Real' world.
3. These youngsters find it difficult, to cope up with the reality and it might result in psychological problems, such as loneliness, depression or stress.
4. They might even find it difficult, to mix with the real people or even their relatives.
5. Another important aspect is, that over dependence on technology, can affect the learning abilities, and concentration of the children.
The Children being dependent on the calculators, for simple mathematical calculations, has become very common.
Gone are the days, of complex mental calculations.
6. Addiction to the gadgets, can even interfere, with the day today routine, such as sleep disorder, eating schedule, physical acticities etc.
7. A sudden stop to the electronic devices addiction, can lead to serious withdrawal symptoms, just as it happens, in any kind of addiction.
Technology is just a tool. In terms of getting the kids working together and motivating them, the teacher is the most important.
5 Tips to deal with the Children, who are over dependent on technology:
- Both the parents and the teachers, should try to explain the dangers of over dependence on technology, to the children and the youngsters.
- The Schools should have guidelines, for the online conduct, and explain the students, about the appropriate use of the electronic gadgets.
- To encourage the children, to pursue some physical activities, such as outdoor games in the morning and the evening. To encourage them to learn and play sport, like the basketball, football, lawn tennis, swimming etc.
- To encourage the children, to join some group activities or hobby classes, such as music or musical instruments, dance, cooking, painting, art or, craft etc.
- To engage them in the community activities; such as the stage shows, plantation drives, cleanliness drive in the residential areas, other extra curricular activities etc.
To Sum up:
The real test of the academics, is in real life, where one has to provide the practical situations, to the problems or issues.
One is expected to apply the knowledge, gained from the academics.
The child should not merely reproduce the knowledge, he has learnt theoretically.
It‘s important to apply, analyse, and ask for reasoning and be able to face obstacles and find solutions.
Therefore, it‘s important to develop, inter-personal skills, communication skills, motor skills, and to be able to adjust at the workplace, where teamwork is very much required and essential.
Technology is a friend and a guide. One should not become it's slave.
How much time does your child spend on his online activities?
Over dependence of children on technology, source: You tube
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2012 Chitrangada Sharan