What's the Name of your Baby? Choose your Baby's Name Wisely: 5 Points to Keep in Mind!
§ “I read in a book once that a rose by any other name would smell as sweet, but I've never been able to believe it. I don't believe a rose WOULD be as nice if it was called a thistle or a skunk cabbage.”
― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
§ Nicknames stick to people, and the most ridiculous are the most adhesive.
~Thomas C. Haliburton
§ Tigers die and leave their skins; people die and leave their names. ~Japanese Proverb
Name Is Most Important! Take Care While Naming Your Child:
© Chitrangada Sharan Oct. 2014,
All Rights Rserved.
- I had a friend in my school-- when her name was called for attendance in class, the whole class used to laugh, only to be silenced by the teacher. And I remember my friend's face---red with embarrassment.
She often used to complain to her parents.
'What kind of name, you have picked up for me! I hate it!"
- I have a cousin-----a boy, whose name sounded as if it was a girl's name. By the time, he was 7 years old, he was so much fed up of his friends teasing him, only because of his name that he demanded to his parents, that his name may please be changed.
What I am trying to stress here is that we must consider few things before naming our babies.
___Can the name, you have picked up for your child, embarrass her/ him, when she/ he is grown up?
___Is the name too common?
___Has the name some meaning?
___Is it too difficult to pronounce?
___Would the child be bullied due to his name?
Other useful hub by Chitrangada Sharan
- Herbal Home Remedies For Common Baby Problems! Safe ...
Some natural, safe home remedies for your child's common problems, as they cannot tell their problems, so the new mothers have to be vigilant and may try these safe and simple remedies as a first aid.
5 Points To Consider, While Naming Your Child:
1. Does the name has some meaning or significance?
In India, there is a tradition to keep the name of Gods or Goddesses as the child's name. People avoid keeping names of negative characters from mythology.
It is believed that good characters inspire and imbibe the same good characteristics in the child.
That's why, you are often asked a question, 'What is the meaning of your name?'
Nobody would appreciate, a name with no definite meaning.
Children often feel embarrassed, if their name is meaningless.
2. Mind the gender!
Many names are not clear, whether it is a boy or a girl. In many communities it is not the first name but the second name, which makes clarity about the gender.
When the child grows up, he or she finds it very annoying when people get confused about the gender, when they read the name. And it is only after meeting the person that they realize, they misunderstood the gender.
3 Pick up a name, which is easy to pronounce and easy to spell:
How frustrating it is if people mispronounce or misspell your name!
It should not be like this that only the parents can pronounce the name.
It can be very annoying for the child if his or her name is mispronounced in a gathering.
Sometimes children develop symptoms of low self esteem due to this.
Other useful hub by Chitrangada Sharan
- First Time Moms: How To Maintain Child's Health Reco...
So you have a sweet little entry in your family. Enjoy Motherhood and make it a point to maintain Health Record, Growth Record, Milestones Record and Immunization Record of your Child and monitor them.
4. Do not pick up a 'too common' name for your child:
How boring it is for a child, to share his or her name with at least six others in the class!
I remember having at least four Abhisheks and three Priyankas in my class. Then you can either distinguish them by their sir name or name them as one, two, three and so on-----!
The child then starts feeling less important. . Having an extremely common name makes the child feel stressed.
5. Name should be appropriate for adulthood:
You may call your child by cute names, when they are babies, but it is so awkward for them to be called by the same nick names or cute names, when they are grown up.
I have so many examples in the family, who hate to be called by the same names, given to them by their parents or uncles or aunts or grannies.
The cute baby names sound lovely when the child is smaller and should be dropped, once they grow up.
Have you ever feel embarrassed about your name?
There is a lot in a name!
- Someone said, " What's in a name!'
Well, a lot!
- It is a matter of great pride and pleasure for parents to choose a name for their baby. Therefore give proper thought to all these recommendations, before naming your child.
- Like you are proud of your child, he or she should be proud and not embarrassed of the name given to him or her by you. Because name is most important for lifetime and even after.
- When the child grows up and somehow he or she is not happy about the name----change it!
- It is allowed in every country and every religion. You just have to follow the simple legal process.
- There is a practice to keep names of children after consulting Astrologers or Numerologists. This is just to ensure a healthy, happy and prosperous life of the child, when he or she grows up.
© Chitrangada Sharan 13th Oct. 2014,
All Rights Reserved.
PROTECTED: PLEASE DO NOT COPY!
How to change your name legally in India, source: You tube
Name change, legal process, source: You tube
© 2014 Chitrangada Sharan