- Family and Parenting»
- Parenting Skills, Styles & Advice
15 Things To Do While The Kids Nap
Make the Most of Your Time
There comes a time (hopefully) after having your baby when you finally have some sense of a daily routine that you can count on most of the time. Maybe your baby is still taking two or three naps during the day or maybe your toddler is down to one good solid nap. Either way, as a parent there is probably a lot of things that you can think of to get done during that time.
Most of the time we get so caught up in the idea of using baby's nap time to clean or organize or be "productive" in the must-do sense, that we forget how important we are and that it's OK to use that precious time to recharge ourselves. I hope you can remember to put yourselves at the top of the list, at least once a week. Here are some ideas to get you started, just in case you can't seem to put that ominous to-do list away for the afternoon.
- Finally get your shower in! Make it a nice hot one and use shampoo and conditioner instead of the quick all-in-one.
- Allow yourself to quiet your brain and meditate.
- Do some gardening, smell the flowers.
- Change the sheets so you can enjoy the fresh feeling when you go to bed.
- Make phone calls that aren't necessary but allow you to connect to someone that will nurture your soul.
- Write a love letter.
- Catch up on your DVR'd programs, and yes actually sit down on the couch and enjoy them.
- Sit down and enjoy the magazine or book you've been wanting to read.
- Shave your legs and paint your toes.
- Paint a picture or make a collage of things that make you happy.
- Light a candle and have some tea.
- Put on some music and dance.
- Put a DVD in and learn Yoga.
- Give yourself a facial.
- Take YOUR OWN NAP!
If it seems hard to put yourself at the top of the list sometimes, remember that if you don't recharge your own batteries, taking care of everyone else will become a chore that can make you sick or resentful instead of a pleasure.
We all deserve to engage in self care!