- Family and Parenting
6 Interesting Facts About Babies
1. They are born color blind. New born babies can see very little as their vision is still developing. What they can see is in viewed in basic shades of black, white and gray. By the age of five months they are able to view the world around them in full color.
2. Babies are born with about 10,000 taste buds, most of which will go away as the grow. They develop a sense of taste for sweet and bitter foods before they are born. Salty foods however cannot be detected until around 4-5 months after birth.
3. At the time of their birth they have 300 bones. As they grow and become adults the bones fuse together, resulting in a total of 206 bones in their body.
4. Their kneecaps are not completely developed until the age of six months.
5. Most babies start to become "mobile" between the ages of 7-10 months. While some babies crawl, others may scoot, roll, or even pull/push themselves across the floor.
6. Speech development can take place as early as 6 months. At the age of 2 they begin to form small sentences consisting of two- three words. While their vocabulary may be rather small at this time, they understand a great deal of what others around them are saying. They will listen and retain words for later usage.