Cheap Self Care Ideas for Moms
Being a parent is hard! And finding the time or money to take care of ourselves, after taking care of everyone else, can be even harder. Whether you’re a working mom, stay at home mom (or dad), or part time at both, we all can use a pick-me-up through the day. Here are some little things you can do for yourself everyday, that won’t take much time or money.
- Relax outside after putting the kids to bed. This is great on a spring or summer night. Enjoy a glass of wine or nice tea on the back deck, and even add some twinkle lights or candles!
- Spoil yourself with your favorite coffee creamer to start the day off right. I love to go with the seasonal types, like pumpkin spice in the fall, or peppermint in the winter.
- Get a new coffee/tea mug that will make your day! TJMaxx always has some of the cutest mugs. It may seem like a small thing but if it makes you happy that’s all that matters!
- Take a hot shower or bath with the works: face mask, hair mask, full skincare routine, body scrub, etc. Splash some essential oils in the shower to make it extra relaxing.
- Do an at home manicure or pedicure. You can get kits with everything you need at the Dollar Tree! A fresh nail polish job can make you feel so put together, even if it only lasts a few days.
- Treat yourself to a new outfit, without breaking the bank. There are lots of online thrifting options now that make it really easy, like ThredUP or Poshmark. It makes it so much easier to look for something new and trendy when money is tight or you don’t have anyone to watch the kids.
- Do some stretching or light Pilates. There are some great videos on YouTube if you want to try something new. It can release so much stress and tension that you didn’t realize you were holding on to.
- Light some candles or use an oil diffuser to make doing things around the house, or even getting ready for bed, a little more relaxing.
- Do a “brain dump” before bed. It can be hard to settle and rest for the night when you have a million worries, anxieties, or to-do’s for tomorrow running through your head. So keep a notebook by your bedside, and get it out of your head and onto paper. Write EVERYTHING - thoughts, feelings, worries, lists, to-do’s, until it’s all out. This really helps to decompress.
- Find a funny or motivating book. You can even buy books used on Amazon and eBay that are in great condition and much cheaper than getting them new. A really funny, relatable book for moms is Confessions of a Domestic Failure by Bunmi Laditan.
- Make yourself a motivating playlist. Something to get you going in the morning, motivated to work out, or make cleaning the house more enjoyable.
- Find a podcast; something light and funny like The Office Ladies.
- Make a healthy, but still delicious smoothie. Give your body some self care too with a tropical or chocolate/peanut butter smoothie, and hide some greens in there too!
Getting out of the house
- While at the store, get yourself some flowers! Or even stop at a farmers market to bring some fresh ones home.
- While you’re at the farmers market, get a couple of fruits or vegetables you wouldn’t normally eat, and try out a new recipe when you get them home.
- Go for a walk around the neighborhood.
- Get a treat on the way to appointments. Driving through Starbucks to get a fancy coffee or donut can make doctors appointments and other errands something to look forward to.
- Walk on the beach if you have one nearby.
- Find a new park in your town. This is great for yourself and the kids to get out of the house, get some fresh air, and de-stress.
- Plant a garden or potted plants, and take your time going out to water them everyday.
Share some of your self care ideas in the comments!