- Family and Parenting»
- Parenting Skills, Styles & Advice
Concentration vs Distraction~ How can Parents Help their Child to Concentrate!
Concentration Is A Positive Virtue Of 'Man'!
© Chitrangada Sharan Sept. 2014
All Rights Reserved.
- One of the most important characteristics of the man is his ability to concentrate.
- But what is concentration and why should we develop this virtue?
- Concentration is a skill, which enables us to focus on a particular thought or subject, while eliminating every other thing from our conscious mind.
- When we concentrate on something, we do not engage our mind and thoughts on any other thing or thought.
- This leads us to be in complete command of that thought or subject and eventually leads us to be more efficient.
- In fact your mind obeys you and you are in complete control and no irrelevant thought or worries will bother you.
- Yoga and meditation are very much helpful in developing concentration.
- These should be carefully learnt by authorised experts in this field.
- Young children adopt these skills easily if taught correctly from the very beginning.
Why is it important for students to concentrate?
- Students in particular are attracted to too many things at a time.
There are lot of distractions, which divert their mind and when they sit to study they are restless.
- The distractions may be in the form of Television, Phone calls or messages from friends, a favorite movie or a cartoon film, computers, food, siblings or any other thing.
- The result is their books are open, but the mind is elsewhere and after one to two hour has passed, they find they have not learnt anything!
Therefore it is very important to focus and develop concentration and parents can help their children achieve this.
Concentration helps in studying and learning;
Concentration helps in better comprehension;
Concentration helps them to focus on the subject;
Concentration helps to learn more effectively and efficiently, so that the child is able to master the subject mentally.
Some Tips To Help Your Child Concentrate:
- To develop the ability to concentrate, the mind needs to be trained.
- Teachers as well as parents often complain to the students that they do not concentrate and that is the reason they are not performing well in studies and getting good marks or good grades. Sometimes the children might even get punishments for this.
- This may lead to more negative results than positive because then the child becomes averse to study and concentration and he may believe that he is being forced to do something.
- Concentration should be made fun and should be achieved with a positive mind. It should be cultivated with great understanding and optimistic beliefs and thoughts.
1. The environment of study:
Make sure that your child has a designated place for his studies. The place should be properly lit and should be adequately ventilated.
It should be neat, tidy and well organized too. Distractions such T.V. or Telephones or Computers should not be there in or around the room.
Preferably it should be away from your living room so that when others are talking, the child does not get disturbed.
2. Planning the study:
Planning the study is very crucial. Set assignments for the day, week, months and so on. Still further set goals for one hour, two hours, three hours and so on.
Sit together with the child and make a list of the study and learning to be done on a particular day. As he completes that assignment, ask him to tick mark, 'completed'. This gives a sense of achievement and helps to concentrate on what portion is left.
3. The SQ3R method:
This is study method, introduced by Francis Pleasant Robinson in his book, 'Effective study' and is widely followed by educationists and students of various age groups. The term stands for survey, question, read, recite and review.
If followed effectively this has been found to increase efficiency in studying and learning.
4. Physical activity:
Children have lot of energy. It is important to convert it in a positive way. Allow them to run, play and be physically active. Make them go to their school on their bicycle, as physical movements stimulates brain. They must play in the open grounds, join a sports team, in other words be physically and mentally active. This helps to concentrate better.
It is important to play or run before the child sits down to study. An active body leads to an active brain.
5. Allow breaks:
Different children have different span of concentration. Depending on age, allow them to have some breaks or breathers. But make sure they do not get distracted during that time. Just move around a bit or have a glass of water or so.
6. Sound health:
A healthy child can concentrate better. Take care of your child's food habits. Give him healthy food and make sure he sleeps well. Maintain time for his meals and restful sleep.
7. Learning should be exciting:
Why is it that the same child can concentrate better at a video game and not on his books?
Try methods to make learning interesting and fun. This can be done with visual examples, experiments or other innovative methods.
Let learning be interactive sometimes. Invite his friends and hold a quiz and sometimes also reward them for their correct interpretations or answers.
Let them use real objects for examples, real colors and real numbers.
8. Meditation, Yoga, Brain games:
Breathing exercises help a lot in developing focus and attention. Teach them simple yogic exercise to develop concentration.
Brain games are also very helpful. Word games to increase vocabulary and number games to develop numerical ability are very useful if practiced regularly. There are certain puzzles which help in developing reasoning power and the power of analysis among students.
Do you think ability to concentrate can be developed with practice?
- The very essence of education is concentration of mind and not collection of facts. There is no limit to the power of the human mind.
- When the ability to concentrate is strong, the mind obeys more readily and does not engage in futile, negative thoughts or worries.
- This ability plays an important role in meditation, gaining mental mastery.
- Children's mental abilities, linguistic abilities or motor-skill levels also affects their willingness and ability to concentrate.
- If an activity seems too difficult for them in any one of these areas, children either may avoid participating or may stay with the activity but for a short time.
- The role of parents and teachers is to support children in developing concentration for activities of their choice.
- At the same time, we need to encourage them to experiment and stay with activities that challenge skills they're not as comfortable with.
© Chitrangada Sharan 12th Sept. 2014
All Rights Reserved.
PROTECTED: PLEASE DO NOT COPY!
Helpful video, source: You tube
Other related hubs by Chitrangada Sharan
- How to engage kids constructively during School v...
Summer Vacations is an ideal time to make kids Learn with Fun. Channelize their energy in constructive activities, relax, recharge and rejuvenate and also strengthen their academics by playful methods.
- Motivation is so Important for Children : Role of Pa...
Who doesn't need a little motivation! Parents and teachers of young kids have a great role in tracing the path for a child's success in academics etc., by providing them the much needed 'Motivation'.
- How to achieve academic success-10 Study Habits tips...
A student with moderate ability, who uses his talents in a methodical way to STUDY , will achieve more success than a person with greater ability but who is unmethodical. HOW! Read on rules to follow-
- The Joy of Reading Print Books as Compared to e-Book...
While it can't be denied that the traditional print books are less preferred compared to e-books by the tech. savvy people these days, but I do believe that paper books will never disappear completely
- 5 Points to consider for Nursery or School admission...
Today's challenging times requires the children to develop into holistic,well rounded personality. Choose your child's school wisely, for his mental, physical, emotional, spiritual and psychic growth.
- Loneliness Among Kids: Are You Too Busy To Notice Yo...
Busy parents and lonely children is the reality of today's society.But it is a necessity for both the parents to earn, to manage a decent living. How to find a balance so kids are also given attention.
- How To Deal With Low Self Esteem In Kids! 5 Tips, Ro...
How to help fight low self esteem, especially among children. Parents and teachers have special roles to achieve this. Counselling, sports, exercise and socializing are some of the ways to improve it.
© 2014 Chitrangada Sharan