- Family and Parenting
Create a Fun Family Tradition with a Vacation Time Capsule
Vacation Time Capsules are a great family tradition that anyone can start. My children love creating our time capsule every year. It is fun to create it, fun to bury it, and very exciting to dig it up the following year to read our messages from the past. It refreshes your memory and reminds of things you may have forgotten. It is a great idea for any family who visits the same area each year!!
Uncovering Your Time Capsule
My family enjoys walking through the woods to uncover our time capsule from the previous year. It is always fun trying to remember exactly where we buried it in the woods and it is very exciting when we see it again!
Reading Our Messages from the Past
Once we find our time capsule we can not wait to return to our cabin to read our messages from the past. Each person reads what they wrote out loud. It is funny to hear what everyone wrote the previous year. It is good to relive the memories again, especially the memories that we may have forgotten throughout the year!
Once all the previous year's messages are read we put them all together in a safe place. When we return home from vacation we place them in a memory box to enjoy whenever wish to relive the memories we wrote about.
Writing Your Time Capsule Messages
My family sits down near the end of our vacation week to write our messages for our Time Capsule. We do not share with anyone else what we are writing, with the exception of the younger kids who need some assistance. We only write about things we experienced during the week of our vacation. It can include things that we thought were fun, funny things that may have happened, things we thought were special, and anything else we want to remember for next year.
Once the messages are completed they are folded up and the name of the person who wrote it is written on the outside. This way it is easy to hand them out to the right person the following year without having to unfold each message.
A few times I had tried to remember what I wrote in my message but it is not that easy. But that is the whole fun in reading them especially when those memories hit you as if they happened yesterday!
Preparing Your Time Capsule
You will need a container to hold your messages, three ziplock bags, and duct tape.
- Fold your messages small enough to fit into the container that you are using. Then place the messages into the first ziplock bag. Make sure to get as much air out of the bag as possible.
- Place the first sealed ziplock bag into a second bag. Make sure to get as much air out of the bag as possible before sealing it.
- Put the sealed messages into your container. If you are using a plastic bottle you may want to place duct tape around the lid to ensure a good seal.
- Once the bottle/container is sealed place it into the last ziplock bag. Seal the bag as tightly as possible. You may also want to place some duct tape around any area that you think water may find its way through.
- You are now ready to bury your Time Capsule!!
- Come back in one year to retrieve it and read your messages from the past!!
Distance Between Home and Our Time Capsule
Our time capsule is located about 120 miles from our home. We only travel to the area once a year for our family vacation. The distance between us and the time capsule makes it easier to not dig it up early. The whole family anticipates retrieving the time capsule all year long until we arrive in the area again!
Our Time Capsule is located somewhere in Tioga County, Pennsylvania.
We live over 100 miles south of the location of our Time Capsule in Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania.
This is a family tradition that we have been doing for the past four years. The children love doing this as much as we do. We look forward to continuing this family tradition for years to come!