- Family and Parenting»
- Advice & Tips for Parents of Teens
Dealing with Lazy Teenagers
Few kids are known to give you a hard time, especially teenagers. And to top it up these kids are like lazy, just to add to your woes. How do parents actually handle such situations, where your kids are not just being lazy but also very disrespectful? Irresponsible teens can be a difficult task to deal with and no wonder parents would bubble out with loads and loads of frustration. Teens are often seen busy texting messages, making calls, busy with play stations and so on. Even if you call them out or ask them to do something you hardly get any response. Ignoring to the slothful behavior of these lazy teens may not be that easy for parents to a certain extent. So what if the children are good in every other way, like good in studies, good in activities; but still if they don't follow the house rules or respect your hard work then situations for parents can get a bit difficult. It may so happen that your constant complaints may just fall on deaf ear and they wouldn't even bother to care. That can be little hurtful for parents, when their words and advice are overheard or not cared for! Dealing with lazy teenagers thus could be a difficult task to handle for parents.
When parents find it difficult to handle, they take certain drastic steps like sending kids to boarding school and implementing strict rules. Does enforcing such tough rules really help parents to achieve desired results like helping children quit laziness? I don’t think so, in fact in such cases a child may just drift away from his parents due to severe misunderstandings.
Why certain rules are set out by parents
Parents try to set off certain rules to ensure that the house runs well. Additionally few rules are also set by parents to help kids to learn to be responsible, to behave well, to correct themselves and also be a better person when they grow up.
Dealing with lazy teenagers
As we do admit that strict measures and drastic steps may not be any help to deal with this situation, yet there could be few ways which can help parents to deal with lazy teenagers.
1. Set out certain rules and stick by them, whatever happens. Rules like making your own bed, organizing your rooms, keeping books and toys in place after use, etc etc can be really important.
2.An undeniable fact – if you don’t set the rules for your kids when they young, then how do you expect them to abide by those rules when they grow up. Always ensure that the rules you set are followed by your kids right from early age.
3. Decide specific times and limits for television watching and for computer games. Strictly follow the plan and never get flexible with that. Instead encourage children to play outdoors or to spend time developing hobbies or their other creative aspects.
4. Assign teens few household tasks, which may help them to learn taking responsibility. Anyway which book says that only parents have to take care of household chores, let children too be part of it!
5. Don’t forget to thank or compliment you child for finishing the task he or she has been assigned.
6. Try to spend qualitative time with your children. You can help them with homework, project work, go shopping, watch movies or just chat with them.
7. Don’t be harsh with your lazy teen if he can’t handle the task very well in the beginning. Handle the situation with some patience.
8. Help your child to be consistent, which plays a major role in getting rid of laziness in teens.