- Family and Parenting»
- Parenting Skills, Styles & Advice
Development Dads - Naturally? - Prenatal
What a phrase! 'Latching On' is indeed descriptive, but I think there should be a more nurturing and gentler phrase for describing this moment between mother and child. A friend came up with 'Suction Success' but that didn't get it either. Regardless, this moment can be wondrous but, if unsuccessful, can also be a bit traumatic. Here's our story.
I stayed three days and two nights with Joy and Taylor in the hospital, but I remember all to well Joy's first attempt at breast feeding. The first morning a nurse woke us up early and started attending to Joy. A few minutes later, the doctor came in to go through his routine. Then, a few minutes after that another nurse came in with Taylor and immediately tried to get her to latch on. Joy was overwhelmed, weak from the C-Section, and nervous that four people were staring intensely at her. Well of course Taylor would not latch on. Joy got more upset which made me upset and then Taylor started to cry because she was hungry. I just wanted everyone to leave Joy and Taylor alone so they could calmly figure it out. It was to late, Taylor was hungry. So Taylor’s first few meals in her mother’s arms that day came out of a bottle.
By the next day, Taylor finally latched on and the mother-daughter-bonding was complete. When we got home and away from all the experts, breast feeding became easier and much more natural. Watching Joy feed Taylor and then watching with moist yet happy eyes as my baby immediately fell into a blissful sleep in her arms is the most beautiful and touching memory I carry with me from those first days of nurturing.
Useful For You - Useful To Me
It is very important to me to get feedback; so, if you could interact with an Episode by selecting Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down, whether you think the Episode was Useful, Funny, Awesome, Beautiful, or Interesting, and, finally, type in some Comments about what you really think.
When working with an Episode, here are some tips:
- You can access an Episode by selecting a link provided in the Select an Episode section on the Development Dads introductory page. Get to this page by clicking this link.
- You can also access an Episode by clicking on the Randall Frey link to the right of my unfavorable photo.
- Note that when you are viewing any Episode, you can also select a Previous or Next Episode link at the bottom of the page to display it. To my dismay, sometimes these links appear and some times they don't.
- To enlarge a cartoon, you will need to change you browser's View | Zoom out setting.
© 2014 Randall Frey