- Family and Parenting»
- Parenting Skills, Styles & Advice
Development Dads - Space and Place / Duration and Time - Adult
Space and Place / Duration and Time
Older Yet Newer
As I said before, I am the oldest father in the department. As a matter of fact, I am old enough to be the father of some of the new fathers. Taylor is my one and only child. I waited a very long time for her, but the wait was more than worth it. I do have some theories why I think older fathers are the best, but I’ll refrain as I’m sure that rationale is ubiquitous.
I must admit, though, that I have experienced one down side of being an older father. On a few occasions, I have been regarded as Taylor’s grandfather rather than her father. It must have been the hair, or lack there of. Anyway, the remarks, strangely enough, came from female cashiers. At a toy store, one said, “Oh, I see you’re out spoiling you’re granddaughter.” At a department store during the holidays, the other said to Taylor, who fortunately was not listening, “Are you enjoying shopping with your grandfather?” On both occasions I was quick to retort with a tinge of gruffness, “I am her father.” You'd think that someone who deals with the public for eight hours a day, would be well versed in being tactful. But, maybe not.
When I put Taylor on the kindergarten bus for the first time, most of her peers probably thought that it was her grandfather putting her on the bus; but, over time, they realized I was her dad and got used to the gray hair. Taylor has never been defenseless about my age but just the opposite. She frequently commented to the contrary by acknowledging that I acted a lot younger than most of her friends' fathers. So, I guess I can always fall back on - it's not how old you look but how young you feel.
Useful For You - Useful To Me
It is very important to me to get feedback; so, if you could interact with an Episode by selecting Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down, whether you think the Episode was Useful, Funny, Awesome, Beautiful, or Interesting, and, finally, type in some Comments about what you really think.
When working with an Episode, here are some tips:
- You can access an Episode by selecting a link provided in the Select an Episode section on the Development Dads introductory page. Get to this page by clicking this link.
- You can also access an Episode by clicking on the Randall Frey link to the right of my unfavorable photo.
- Note that when you are viewing any Episode, you can also select a Previous or Next Episode link at the bottom of the page to display it. To my dismay, sometimes these links appear and some times they don't.
- To enlarge a cartoon, you will need to change you browser's View | Zoom out setting.
© 2015 Randall Frey