- Family and Parenting»
- Parenting Skills, Styles & Advice
Development Dads - Rated PG - Toddler
So How Do You Tell Them?
I don't know about you, but the most difficult and heart wrenching topic that we had to have with Taylor was about good versus evil. From age 0 to 3, Taylor had not experienced violence or evil because she had been protected from this darkness in our home. By 3, however, it was time for her to experience more children in the day care environment. We knew we had to prepare her for this event by discussing that she might come in contact with humans that may be mean to her and possibly try to hurt her.
In was heart wrenching for us to tell her that there were bad people out there and she had to be careful. That she had to tell us right away if anyone did or said something to her that she didn't like. We could see in her eyes and behavior that this frightened her, and we felt terrible that we had to expose her psyche to this reality. It was as if we were damaging her loving and trusting nature. It upset us and still upsets us, but we knew we had to prepare her. We knew that we had to discuss each bad event with her so that she could learn how to detect it, deal with it, and rise above it to remain loving and trustful to those who deserved it.
When you have say to child "Don't talk to strangers." and your child asks "Why?", how do you tell her or him the truth without making them fearful of talking to anyone?
Useful For You - Useful To Me
It is very important to me to get feedback; so, if you could interact with an Episode by selecting Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down, whether you think the Episode was Useful, Funny, Awesome, Beautiful, or Interesting, and, finally, type in some Comments about what you really think.
When working with an Episode, here are some tips:
- You can access an Episode by selecting a link provided in the Select an Episode section on the Development Dads introductory page. Get to this page by clicking this link.
- You can also access an Episode by clicking on the Randall Frey link to the right of my unfavorable photo.
- Note that when you are viewing any Episode, you can also select a Previous or Next Episode link at the bottom of the page to display it. To my dismay, sometimes these links appear and some times they don't.
- To enlarge a cartoon, you will need to change you browser's View | Zoom out setting.
© 2015 Randall Frey