- Family and Parenting»
- Parenting Skills, Styles & Advice
Development Dads - Corporal Frontier - Toddler
The Sparing Rod
My father spanked me a few times when I was young but never my three sisters. I was spanked once in kindergarten and once more in fifth grade. I cannot recollect any girl ever being spanked by a teacher or principal in any grade but there sure were a lot of boys that felt the paddle.
My mother never spanked me but made me aware of my occasional uncivil actions by taking the blame herself, that she had failed in some way as a parent. That hurt, her hurt, had more of an effect than the rod. Maybe I did not want her to fail.
Those fathers in the episode who had problems figuring out how to reprimand their boys never did resort to corporal punishment. I got to meet their sons at different stages and found them to be good and polite kids without external signs of anger, resentment, or fear from their fathers.
Maybe those fathers realized that they were wiser than a three year old and there were better ways to discipline and teach civility to their children.
Maybe those boys who were paddled by parents and teachers when I was a kid did not have wise supervision.
Maybe I was fortunate to have one who was wise.
Maybe it took a generation for me and other parents to learn, to develop this wisdom.
How long will it take for all parents to have the wisdom to not raise their hand but their mind to their children?
Useful For You - Useful To Me
It is very important to me to get feedback; so, if you could interact with an Episode by selecting Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down, whether you think the Episode was Useful, Funny, Awesome, Beautiful, or Interesting, and, finally, type in some Comments about what you really think.
When working with an Episode, here are some tips:
- You can access an Episode by selecting a link provided in the Select an Episode section on the Development Dads introductory page. Get to this page by clicking this link.
- You can also access an Episode by clicking on the Randall Frey link to the right of my unfavorable photo.
- Note that when you are viewing any Episode, you can also select a Previous or Next Episode link at the bottom of the page to display it. To my dismay, sometimes these links appear and some times they don't.
- To enlarge a cartoon, you will need to change you browser's View | Zoom out setting.
© 2015 Randall Frey