Parenting, a big challenge! How to handle kids without sweating? Is effortless parenting possible?
How to handle children? Is effortless parenting possible?
Effortless parenting means parenting without effort. Parenting that is natural, easy and stress free. Parents and children enjoy spending time with each other and discipline just comes automatically. Is it possible? Where there are no slaps, shouts, fear and anger. Can we create such type of environment in our homes? Is it imaginary?
The more humans are moving towards high technology, this natural and effortless parenting seems to disappear. Although machines were meant to give human beings more time, but the truth is people today have less time as compared to old times. Parenting is one major area where time and patience are required. However, most people are busy and impatient in new era. They are looking for quick answers.
Parenting has become a challenge. How can we change this trend? How can we again change parenting to natural and effortless, something that we enjoy instead of struggle. Here are some useful tips in this direction:
1. Love nature and be close to nature. Children love nature. When they spend time in nature, all the crankiness and screams disappear. They play, laugh, enjoy and feel exhausted in few hours. They are ready for a sound sleep at night. They have a good day and good night. Parents can also enjoy and have good day and night.
2. Refrain from using television as baby sitter. When children start watching television, there are lot of disadvantages. They might learn inappropriate things. They can become addicted and be the next couch potato. Children never get tired of watching television, so it is very difficult to ask them to switch off once it is on. So, prevention is better than cure. It is good if television is not used when children are present. Play with them or give them some interesting activities to do.
3. More modeling and less instruction. We need to be good example to children and rest follows. We can save our lot of energy as we don't have to speak so much. We can tell a child to do something ten times but it will still have less impact as compared to, if we do that something one time and show it to them.
4. Applaud the right behavior. When you catch your children doing something right, you can clap, hug them or give them something they like. When we appreciate, the right behavior is encouraged. They want to do the right thing more to get attention and reward.
5. Ignore the bad behavior. This might be most difficult for parents to accept but it works. When we ignore the bad behavior of our children and distract them to something else, they realize that it is not useful. They will soon discontinue and focus on something that gives result.
These are simple tips to help parenting become natural and effortless. When parents and children are happy and natural, discipline and good behavior comes naturally too.