- Family and Parenting»
- Genealogy, Family History & Family Trees
Elder Sister and the Younger Brother
Sibling Rivalry is one of the most common problems encountered by parents when there is a second child in the family. My family is quite big with my mother having 3 siblings and father, 4 siblings, I always had the chance to observe all my cousins.
Let us consider a situation where there are two children in the family. Considering the different probabilities:
1. Both boys - the brothers will have a wonderful understanding even in the pranks they do. They have wonderful company and love to play and the fights are very minimal. They love to share things and thoughts with each other as they mostly have common interest.
2. Both girls - this again is beautiful, with the girls giggling and doing all the different girly things together! They share their Barbie dolls and teddy bears and have a lot of fun together. The fights again here are very minimal as they adjust with each other very well.
3. Elder boy and younger girl - though the fights are more here, with the big brother teasing the small girl all the time, the love the brother has for the younger sister is very sweet. He assumes the role of a father in protecting the girl, be it in the school or the road, anywhere.
4. Elder girl and younger boy - this is the very same case in my own house! I am the elder sister and I have a younger brother. This particular probability is the one where there is maximum rivalry in every possible way. This hub will now continue to talk more about this complex relationship. Of course there could be different situations and there are always exceptions.
In many of the examples that I see, the affection is minimum in the elder sister – younger brother relationships. When you observe the many many Tamil movies, portrayal of, elder brother acting as a wall to protect the younger sister with many many sentiment scenes, is very common. Movies with two brothers or two sisters are quite common too, but, movies with sentiment of an elder sister towards her younger brother is very very rare.
This is because, naturally, the affection between an elder sister and a younger brother usually grows only in adulthood and not in the childhood. This is very true in my case also. My brother and I never shared anything in common from childhood.
I never had great affection for him till recently, after I got married. I always used to be this perfect dominating sister and my brother this really puny weak guy. We were exactly opposite in everything (even now except that we have developed a bond). We never had the necessity of having each other in any situation. All we did was to fight a lot. I never adjusted or sacrificed anything for my brother even though he was quite the flexible type.
There was this huge gap between us which we never tried to bridge. Now, after both of us have grown up to become adults, we have got this really nice bond from nowhere. We are able to express our feelings and empathize with each other. Though we still have a lot of gap in terms of our attitude to different things, there is a nice feeling beneath everything.
This hub is a dedication to all elder sisters and younger brothers who experienced a similar shift in the relationship after a certain age and especially to my dear brother.
Belated Rakshabandhan wishes.
Tamil – a language spoken in South India
Rakshabandhan – a festival in India where sisters and brothers celebrate by exchanging Rakhi and gifts