Family and Parenting Template
Before you Begin, Start off With a Good Title!
A good title is the most important part of writing a Hub. Of course your Hub has to be informative, well-written, and better than the competition to succeed, but if you have all of those elements and a poor title, you will have a difficult time garnering search traffic. A good title:
- Is a common search term used by those running queries on your topic
- Is clear, concise, descriptive, specific, and sounds organic
- Does not repeat keywords - don't, don't keyword stuff your title, subtitles, or text!
- Is directly related with the content of your Hub
Lastly, type your title into Google and see what articles show up as the first results. If you can beat the results with a better, more informative Hub then go for it! If not, we recommend trying a new title or choosing another topic.
For more information on crafting a good title, check out our Learning Center guide on title creation.
High-Quality, Long-Format Content Is King!
Today's online writing world is incredibly competitive! In order to build trust with search engines and build a following, online writers have to be exceptional. To increase your chances of success, we recommend that your Hubs:
Keep Your Readers on Your Hub!
When beginning a Hub, we recommend jumping right in. Some things you might do when introducing your Hub:
- Answer the question of your title right off the bat so that your readers don't hit the dreaded back button to continue searching on their topic somewhere else
- Share some fascinating statistics or facts about the place or subject you are covering
- Explain why you are particularly well suited to be writing a Hub on this subject
- Give a brief overview of the information you will be covering in the Hub
Be Sure to Include Original or Legally Used and Attributed Photos!
Be Sure to Use Search-Friendly Subtitles
Though capsule subtitles are entirely optional, including them in your Hubs and making sure they are search friendly can make your Hub even more likely to be found via search engines (and this is how most Hubs gain traffic).
What is a search-friendly subtitle?
- A subtitle that is short and descriptive (e.g. Positive Discipline Tips for Toddlers)
- A subtitle that matches common search terms (e.g. How to Manage Public Temper Tantrums)
In other words, you should craft subtitles for capsules the same way you craft a title for your Hub!
Always Use High-Quality Photos!
Parents love to hear how other parents are faring. Ask a great poll question to engage and educate your readers!
How do you deal with public temper tantrums?
Are you Providing Concrete Facts?
The more specific facts, tips, and figures you can add to your Hub, the better! Give your readers facts on your topic that will be interesting and useful.
- Bullets or numbers are a great way to provide this information in a format that is easy to read and disseminate
- Parents don't usually have a lot of time to read large blocks of text- give specific, concrete facts and tips in a format that is easy to read and your readers will thank you for it
- Parents and educators also want to know that your advise is reputable- to build trust, tell your readers why you are qualified to give the information and about the research that you have done
Parents and Educators Want to See Your Information in Action!
Don't Be Afraid to Do Additional Research!
Supplementing Hubs in which you share your personal tips with additional information can give them a great competitive edge. Parents especially want to know that you utilize the tips you share; no parent wants their child to be a guinea pig!
Your personal opinion is valuable. While it shouldn't be the main focus of your Hub, don't shy away from giving your Hubs a personal feel. This is especially true when giving parenting or education advice!
Adding additional research or hands-on experience to your Hubs is a great way to show your expertise, and if you took original photos, please use them!
Leave Search-Friendly Captions on Your Photos
Don't Forget Video!
If, in the midst of some auto research, you came across a great video, don't hesitate to add it to your Hub! It might entice readers into staying with your page a bit longer, plus it can be an excellent source of additional information on which you might not be an expert.
You might search for videos:
- Showcasing your topic in a new way
- Sharing more about your topic
- Offering tips about your topic
Add Relevant, Engaging Video
Add Additional Capsules
Feel free to add other relevant capsules to your Hub by clicking the "Insert Capsule" icon! The following capsules could be a great addition:
- Table Capsule to share numerical data
- Map Capsule to show location-based information
- Quiz Capsule to test your readers
- Text and Photo Capsules to add additional information
Good luck and Happy Hubbing!