- Family and Parenting»
Future Baby Mamas and Baby Daddies, Be On Notice!
Baby Momma and Baby Daddy Role Models
Kanye Baby Daddy Kim Baby Momma
With all the press they are receiving, you would think these two just kept us from going over the fiscal cliff. Lamar Odom attempted to put a spiritual spin on these two. Young people look to them for legitimacy of their prenancies out of wedlock. They don't realize that Kim and Kanye are filthy rich. Kim and Kanye will not need welfare. They proudly bear the monikers, "Baby Mama" and "Baby Daddy."
Babies are having babies
Since I began teaching in 1994 I have become increasingly concerned about the cycle of very young unwed parents. Students are getting pregnant as early as middle school. While I believe children are a gift from God, I also believe there is a sequential order and time for everything. The sad truth is that children are celebrating these pregnancies by calling themselves “baby mamas and baby daddies.”
Some children in middle school are having babies. The average age range for 6th through 8th graders is ages 11 through 14. There is an increasing acceptance of the possibility that these children will have sex. Contraceptives are made available to these children. However, use of contraceptives requires planning. These children are not long range planners. They do not book rooms in hotels. They are spontaneous!
At the time of their lives when they should be learning sponges, they listen to sexually explicit and vulgar music. They watch sexually explicat and vulgar movies. They romanticize and emulate what they see and hear. Part of the romanticization is reference to their boyfriends and girlfriends as “baby daddy” and “baby mama.” I have seen girls point at guys and predict, “He ‘gon’ be my baby daddy!” The translation is, “I like him. I want to have his baby.”
Each year I make my spiel to my high school classes and hope that it gets through to at least one child. My speech includes:
- Please focus on your studies this year. You will have lots of time for sex after you graduate. Your love relationships are temporary.
- If you do get pregnant, please do not invite me to the baby shower. I make my contributions when I pay taxes.
- Children don’t need baby daddies and baby mommas! They need fathers and mothers. Those little babies are going to get older. Will you be able to clothe them? What will you do when they need things that you can’t afford?
- Many of you have friends who are not living with their parents. Do you know why? How many “baby mamas” or “baby daddies” will you have by the time you are 25. Will you be able to trust your “man” or your “woman” with your children? Will your children be taken away and placed in foster care?
- Babies deserve to be loved and provided for from maternity through at least the age of 18. Wait until you can properly provide for children and then be parents. Girls … be mothers. Boys … be fathers
Since I began this process, I have noticed a decrease in pregnancies among my students. Throughout the year I remind them to put first things first. My students chuckle when I get on my soap box but at least I'm getting through to them.
Role Model for Unwed Mothers
<!-- Place this tag where you want the +1 button to render. -->
<div class="g-plusone" data-annotation="inline" data-width="300"></div>
<!-- Place this tag after the last +1 button tag. -->
po.src = 'https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js';
var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script'); s.parentNode.insertBefore(po, s);