- Family and Parenting
How To Be a Good Sister
Have you ever thought that siblings were destined to disagree and argue? I imagined such, yet when I researched the monthly search activity on google for the term "how to be a good sister," I discovered that globally, more than 33,000 people search this term each month. Perhaps many girls aspire to be good siblings, yet they find trouble in knowing how. This hub is designed to help women of all ages be better siblings. For more detailed information, feel free to visit my full site on the topic, How To Be a Good Sister. But please note, this hub contains exclusive tips not included on the site!
Stop a Fight: Magic Words
When the fighting just won't stop, sometimes a few simple phrases can help end a quarrel. Below are some "magic words" to throw at your siblings when times get tough:
- "Thank you." - So your little brother keeps calling you fat? Don't react. Instead, say "thank you!" He is clearly looking for you to react with anger. He's probably bored. But if you respond with a smile and perhaps a snide, "Thank you, I've always wanted to be chunky!" he will surely won't find the response he was hoping for.
- "Remember when..." - Sometimes your older brother will be mad at you because you won't deliver a glass of water to him like "that one time." First, you're not a servant! If your siblings are upset because you won't do them a favor, that is their problem. To remind your brother that you are still a good sister, recall a time you did something nice for him. "Remember when I baked you cookies? See, John, I do stuff for you, and if you want it to continue, you can't always expect me to do your favors." This may or may not work, depending on the age of your sibling, but it's worth a try.
- "Let's make a deal." - If you see an easy way to stop the quarrel with a "deal," do it! For example, "If you stop kicking my seat, I'll let you borrow my headphones." Hey, if you aren't using your headphones anyway, both siblings win. Look for ways to make deals in all fights, and you'll be surprised how many quarrels you can quickly put an end to.
Don't you always feel great when you receive a gift? Don't you feel even better when you give a gift? Every once in awhile, surprise your siblings with a gift- for no reason. It doesn't have to be big, just thoughtful. Here are a few ideas of unexpected gifts that you could give to your brothers or sisters:
- Home baked cookies
- Breakfast in bed
- Packs of gum with a note attached
- Postcards if you go out of town without them
- iTunes gift card
- McDonald's gift card
- Movie tickets to go to a flick together
- Nail polish (for sisters!)
- XBox points (for brothers!)
Be a Friend
Although this section is cliché, it is true. To be a good sister, you must be a friend. Forget that your brother is your brother, every once in awhile, treat him like a pal. Share advice with one another. Talk about what's going on at school. Play outside together. The more you make your relationship like a friendship, the better the sister you will be. Your brothers and sisters will appreciate and value your relationship more as you do more and more activities together, but it starts with being a friend.
These are only a few things you can do to become a better sister. Please check out my site for more tips and tricks. Good luck!